wednesdaywarrior

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2010
melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
St. Pat's, Parkside Tackers
I agree with Knightmare on the Beams trade. At the time I felt it was an injudicious price. I think it was a knee jerk reaction to being so close in 2018 when our midfield got owned in that last quarter by WC. We thought Beams could fix it. Adelaide did a similar thing in 2018, thought they were a click away so got a rush of blood and paid two first rounders for Gibbs. These clubs are like desperate mountaineers thinking they are close to the summit of Everest willing to risk all. They need to take deep breath.

I hope Beams proves me wrong and wins us a flag next year but I think it’s more likely our problem winning critical contested ball will come from an equally less likely miracle - Sier developing 100% commitment and a tank, Wills becoming faster than a lava flow, Tyler Brown having a breakout season or Rantall having a boom debut season.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
I agree with Knightmare on the Beams trade. At the time I felt it was an injudicious price. I think it was a knee jerk reaction to being so close in 2018 when our midfield got owned in that last quarter by WC. We thought Beams could fix it. Adelaide did a similar thing in 2018, thought they were a click away so got a rush of blood and paid two first rounders for Gibbs. These clubs are like desperate mountaineers thinking they are close to the summit of Everest willing to risk all. They need to take deep breath.

I hope Beams proves me wrong and wins us a flag next year but I think it’s more likely our problem winning critical contested ball will come from an equally less likely miracle - Sier developing 100% commitment and a tank, Wills becoming faster than a lava flow, Tyler Brown having a breakout season or Rantall having a boom debut season.

I think you bring up an important point.

Clubs when they think they're almost there and that half step off winning a flag often overpay to add someone with the idea of them 'taking them over the top.'

The lesson I hope Collingwood have learnt is how hard it is to get back up there. You can be a goal away one year, even add to your list, and you're not necessarily returning for another chance at going all the way. Or you can be as good as Melbourne were and drop way down. Or you can be a Richmond and go from outside the top 8 to winning a premiership and then suddenly having a shot at a few. It's a 22 man game so the decision to add one player is such a small piece to the overall picture that really you shouldn't ever be overpaying for anyone.

It's going to be interesting to see if and where the improvement could come from next year. Isaac Quaynor should establish himself as a regular. He can be a role player and perform suitably.

One 'out there' suggestion would be playing Cox through the ruck and attending more centre bounces to get him more involved and have Grundy attending some stoppages as a ball winning midfielder to allow for that. Then Cox can push forward and Grundy can take the ruck work around the ground again.

Can Murphy or Tyler Brown break through? Can Sier build on his 2018 play? Can Moore be more healthy? If WHE plays deeper again can he play more like he did during the first half of 2018? Can Scharenberg get healthy and establish himself? Will De Goey attend more centre bounces and see some more patches through the midfield? Stephenson up more on a wing to tap into his run more? Beams needs to be mentally healthy as a priority and only if he's mentally in a good head-space will he be in a position to contribute meaningfully. Can Tom Wilson become something and push for games and in what position?
They're the things I'm considering for the upcoming season.

PS Knightmare good on you for offering this transparent scrutiny of your own performance! I like it. If only government ministers, bosses etc would make themselves so accountable :)

I've considered entering the political arena and maybe one day if I start to lose the passion for the things I do or get any more enraged than I am presently with the ineptitude of our politicians. Have a real passion for it and particularly have an interest in the economic side of things.

Perhaps one day as an independent? *As I can't say there is any one party I agree closely enough with where I would feel comfortable at this time voting along party lines + particularly with those larger parties knowing how much sway donors have (and often for the worse of the Australian people) I likely would go independent.

Or maybe I'll start my own YouTube one day and do some analysis or recommend some policy ideas for implementation? At least then it might get the conversation going? Maybe inspire some people or get enough people talking to make a difference or create awareness of some of the things that are going on? Or maybe there is an Australian political forum out there somewhere where I can list all my policy ideas/recommendations and get some worthwhile discussion going? Honestly very open to ideas.

I think you bring up an important point.

Clubs when they think they're almost there and that half step off winning a flag often overpay to add someone with the idea of them 'taking them over the top.'

The lesson I hope Collingwood have learnt is how hard it is to get back up there. You can be a goal away one year, even add to your list, and you're not necessarily returning for another chance at going all the way. Or you can be as good as Melbourne were and drop way down. Or you can be a Richmond and go from outside the top 8 to winning a premiership and then suddenly having a shot at a few. It's a 22 man game so the decision to add one player is such a small piece to the overall picture that really you shouldn't ever be overpaying for anyone.

It's going to be interesting to see if and where the improvement could come from next year. Isaac Quaynor should establish himself as a regular. He can be a role player and perform suitably.

One 'out there' suggestion would be playing Cox through the ruck and attending more centre bounces to get him more involved and have Grundy attending some stoppages as a ball winning midfielder to allow for that. Then Cox can push forward and Grundy can take the ruck work around the ground again.

Can Murphy or Tyler Brown break through? Can Sier build on his 2018 play? Can Moore be more healthy? If WHE plays deeper again can he play more like he did during the first half of 2018? Can Scharenberg get healthy and establish himself? Will De Goey attend more centre bounces and see some more patches through the midfield? Stephenson up more on a wing to tap into his run more? Beams needs to be mentally healthy as a priority and only if he's mentally in a good head-space will he be in a position to contribute meaningfully. Can Tom Wilson become something and push for games and in what position?
They're the things I'm considering for the upcoming season.

I've considered entering the political arena and maybe one day if I start to lose the passion for the things I do or get any more enraged than I am presently with the ineptitude of our politicians. Have a real passion for it and particularly have an interest in the economic side of things.

Perhaps one day as an independent? *As I can't say there is any one party I agree closely enough with where I would feel comfortable at this time voting along party lines + particularly with those larger parties knowing how much sway donors have (and often for the worse of the Australian people) I likely would go independent.

Or maybe I'll start my own YouTube one day and do some analysis or recommend some policy ideas for implementation? At least then it might get the conversation going? Maybe inspire some people or get enough people talking to make a difference or create awareness of some of the things that are going on? Or maybe there is an Australian political forum out there somewhere where I can list all my policy ideas/recommendations and get some worthwhile discussion going? Honestly very open to ideas.
I’ll vote for you if you promise to reduce the tax on beer.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
100% Correct

Tip - get Denver Grainger-Barrass into your prospects for 2020 asap!

DGB is in my 25 but Collins and Parker by position I slightly favour as better rebounders with in my view slightly less limited games.

I largely have a big 5 for next year. Then a 6-25. DGB is in the latter range. He's popular in a lot of top-10s but I'd struggle to do the same at this stage.

Back