2019 AFL draft - Jackson at 3, Pickett at 12 and Rivers at 32

Remove this Banner Ad

I was interested to see how Knightmare rated our trade period. While some don’t, I do, as I respect his opinion.

Those that have been on BigFooty long enough will know him well as he got his media start through his analysis of upcoming drafts here on BigFooty.

As Melbourne fans, most years centred on the upcoming draft so we would spend a lot of time reading & questioning his analysis/opinions on draft hopefuls.

Someone says we didn't have a good draft period or knocks one of our draftees: "Who does this campaigner think he is??" "Why should we care?"

Someone says we had a good draft period or praises one of our draftees: "See, great selections!" "Straight in the R1 side in 2020!"

Our draft was played down due to the perceived idea of taking a player at 3 that we didn’t need and a small forward at 12 that we need but could have got later. I think it’s universally agreed we did well with Rivers at 32.
Jackson at 3 wasn’t a reach. At least a handful of other recruiters would have taken him at 3. Taylor doesn’t think he is only a ruck and has the agility to play key forward or even as a mid. Interestingly Twomey said he’s more advanced than Grundy at the same age.
Pickett at 12 I did think may have been a reach. However I feel he wouldn’t have likely got to another pick had we traded. Word was hawks and port were keen and possibly dogs. There actually wasn’t another player like him in the draft. Weightman is a very good small forward but doesn’t have the pressure Pickett does.
The notion you can get players as rucks through trading and small forwards later in the draft and as rookies is fine. But why not take a chance on these guys who we have right in front of us. Plus Jackson has massive scope to improve.

The notion you can get players as rucks through trading and small forwards later in the draft and as rookies is fine. But why not take a chance on these guys who we have right in front of us. Plus Jackson has massive scope to improve.

Also, small pressure forwards who also kick goals are more important than ever before. I foresee quality small forwards being taken up early in the draft as the norm in future years.

Also, small pressure forwards who also kick goals are more important than ever before. I foresee quality small forwards being taken up early in the draft as the norm in future years.
I reckon they used to be overrated as games became so contested in finals they rarely had an impact, but with the rugby style of footy these days where teams would rather score from turnover than any other mode I reckon a quality group of small forwards could be the most important thing in the game

A small pressure forward is just a short kid who tries hard. Doubt clubs are going to pass up on the rarer key talls and tried-and-tested midfielders to pick up small forwards who apply a bit of pressure.

On Pickett, if a small forward comes off as a high pick no one questions it in hindsight. See Cyril.

On Pickett, if a small forward comes off as a high pick no one questions it in hindsight. See Cyril.

Out of interest, what are the other "hits" as a small forward and what are the misses?

That’s a very small sample size, definitely the exception not the rule.
Same applies to ruckman taken high that’s where my apprehension lies not so much with the players themselves, time will tell

Exactly. I'm sure he puts a whole lot of work into it, but even highly paid club recruiters f*** it up 50% or more of the time. No one knows how these kids are going to go once in the AFL system. Injuries, growth spurts, outside influencers, poor coaching/development, mental health problems, go home factor. It really is a lottery and anyone taking these mock drafts seriously is crazy. And anyone taking some pissant's grading of each club seriously is even more crazy!! How the hell can you grade a club's draft just a day after!! Without training, without matches?? Grade a clubs draft maybe 10 years down the track!!! How the f*** does anyone know that Jackson won't be the next Grundy and Kossie the next Cyril?? Our draft all of a sudden goes from a C grade to an A+.

Kozzys unique ability to hit hard, take a screamer and kick magical goals, makes him a very rare and special acquisition to our team. Especially considering his mentor and idol is his uncle Byron Pickett.
There is no reason why he cant be our next Wizz.
I would have been disappointed if we didnt get him at 12.

Jackson is another rare find and looks like a solid bet, due to his tenacious ability to get involved in the game, on all levels, in the air, on the ground, defensively and offensively. Rotating him thru FF with Gawn is important to our strategy, as we cant rely on Pruess. I am very happy with Jackson and would be surprised if he is isnt better than Kruezer. Possibly a great tall utility.

Rivers is a star and could start round 1. Will hold down the back flank for a decade.

If we can get Bennell up and going, add Tomlinson and Landon, and we may have drafted 6 new players who could all slot into our best 22 in 2020.

Further add a fit and firing AVB, J.Smith, and a cherry ripe list, and the Dees are looking strong in 2020.

That’s a very small sample size, definitely the exception not the rule.
Same applies to ruckman taken high that’s where my apprehension lies not so much with the players themselves, time will tell

I'm trying to think of other genuine small forwards taken in the top 20. Don't recognize half the names, which is probably an issue.

2018: ?
2017: Jack Higgins? Midfield-forward according to his stats (and he averaged 27 touches, 6 tackles and 1.5 goals a game).
2016: Ainsworth? Again, midfielder cum forward.
2015: Daniel Rioli, Jade Gresham.
2014: Jarrod Pickett? Jarrod Garlett?
2013: ?
2012: Josh Simpson? Ben Kennedy?
2011: Liam Sumner?
2010: ?
2009: ?
2008: Chris Yarran?
2007: Cyril Rioli.
2006: Leroy Jetta.
2005: ?

Pretty slim pickings for pure small forwards.

Last edited:
Kozzys unique ability to hit hard, take a screamer and kick magical goals, makes him a very rare and special acquisition to our team. Especially considering his mentor and idol is his uncle Byron Pickett.

Jackson is another rare find and looks like a solid bet, due to his tenacious ability to get involved in the game, on all levels, in the air, on the ground, defensively and offensively. Rotating him thru FF with Gawn is important to our strategy, as we cant rely on Pruess. I am very happy with Jackson and would be surprised if he is isnt better than Kruezer. Possibly a great tall utility.

Rivers is a star and could start round 1. Will hold down the back flank for a decade.

If we can get Bennell up and going, add Tomlinson and Landon, and we may have drafted 6 new players who could all slot into our best 22 in 2020.

Further add a fit and firing AVB, J.Smith, and a cherry ripe list, and the Dees are looking strong in 2020.

Full marks for optimism.

We wanted Pickett, other clubs were going to take him if we didn't, so we took him.

Who the * cares if it was 8 picks earlier than an arbitrary level you should grab him. We badly wanted this kid, he will play round 1.

You had me at hello

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We wanted Pickett, other clubs were going to take him if we didn't, so we took him.

Who the fu** cares if it was 8 picks earlier than an arbitrary level you should grab him. We badly wanted this kid, he will play round 1.

No wonder you think draft picks are meaningless.

The numbers are pretty irrelevant yeah. If you get what you want who cares what picks you used.

What car do you want to drive? I'd like to offer it to you at twice the sticker price.

What car do you want to drive? I'd like to offer it to you at twice the sticker price.
No worries, and when it's valued at 5 times the amount in a few years you wont even be allowed to wash it's windows campaigner.

No worries, and when it's valued at 5 times the amount in a few years you wont even be allowed to wash it's windows campaigner.

Keeping your Celine Dion collection in the glove compartment doesn't add value to the car, you filthy ******* Canadian.

Keeping your Celine Dion collection in the glove compartment doesn't add value to the car, you filthy ******* Canadian.
Those tapes have an A and B side, but you should C your way out

Celine is the best

Those tapes have an A and B side, but you should C your way out

Celine is the best

There's a retort worth slitting your wrists to. We can leave it there if you want but My Heart Will Go On.

Insurance for what? If Mitch Brown is playing regularly, its to ensure we finish 17th instead of 18th?

The same as every other rookie, in case of injury. 🙄

Not sure he fits the bill for 'who also kicks goals'. Kicks a goal every second game from the stats someone posted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back