Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Jones is still an important player at Melbourne.

you cant discount him because it suits your agenda. Will be the dees be a lesser team without Jones? yes good chance

Its merely facts with a chance to discuss it.

No he isn't.
It doesn't suit anything, he's a fringe player at the moment who very well might retire after this season.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
No he isn't.
It doesn't suit anything, he's a fringe player at the moment who very well might retire after this season.

played every game, 20+ touches average

melbourne would and will be closer to the bottom of the ladder without him

again you can have this delusion player like jones are 'fringe' but thats just your opinion and your probable wrong.

that the Melbourne list is getting older and the like of Bennell are targets to bring in sounds a bit worrying from the outside

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
played every game, 20+ touches average

melbourne would and will be closer to the bottom of the ladder without him

again you can have this delusion player like jones are 'fringe' but thats just your opinion and your probable wrong.

that the Melbourne list is getting older and the like of Bennell are targets to bring in sounds a bit worrying from the outside

You couldn't be more wrong mate but I don't care. Your topic sucks.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

It doesnt suck, its an important part of football. with drafts, salary caps etc.

Swans and Suns give a good indication where they are at, ditto the Pies, Cats, Hawks, WCE at the other end

furthmore among own teams supporters there is heated debate what is the actually best side and in the real world they get on the park together not very often.

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Brendan Goddard claims you have the best list of players (or geriatrics) in the AFL. Just have absolutely nothing to show for it.

Ooooh, spoilin' for a fight ey?

If Goddard thinks we have the best list then I suspect he is over-rating our list

That said, few of those older players listed are in our best dozen players

Unambiguously, only Pendles, Sidebottom and Howe are and the latter two are turning 29 and 30 next year. Beams at his best would obviously be too

The rest are behind

Grundy
De Goey
Moore
Treloar
Adams
Crisp
Elliott
Maynard
Stephenson

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
I think this topic is fine. I am sick of hearing "but we have a young list". It is a convenient excuse for coaches and the media mates to let clubs off the hook for poor performance. A list like this highlights numerous furphies perpetuated on this forum and in the media over the passed few seasons.

Last edited:

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think this topic is fine. I am sick of hearing "but we have a young list. It is a convenient excuse for coaches and the media mates to let clubs off the hook for poor performance. A list like this highlights numerous furphies perpetuated on this forum and in the media over the passed few seasons.
No it doesn't.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
No it doesn't.

I agree with you somewhat but the overall average age, games etc. of the lists is still an important factor to note. especially with all the narratives around.

If you could post every teams best22 or best25/30 - and the average ages, that be great. That data would be good to see in combination with the original post IMO. would add to the overall picture

however its a lot of work and a hard job. Several Richmond fans would argue for Short, Baker, Balta, Ross etc. to be in the team and other players dropped. All clubs would have these types of arguments which changes the maths

Last edited:

Dazb86

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 31, 2008
melbourne
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
As others have said the 22 on the park each week means more than the overall list. But looking at that list you've put up the competition seems relatively close with the age demographic. Is it always this close?

Giant Pete

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 17, 2013
AFL Club
GWS
If anyone wants to work out the avg age of our best 22 I’d appreciate it!

Williams Davis Shaw
Haynes Taylor Whitfield
Kelly Ward Coniglio
Greene Cameron Daniels
Finlayson HH Hill
Jacobs Taranto Hopper

Caldwell DeBoer Perryman Corr

blitzer

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 27, 2006
House
AFL Club
Essendon
Average list ages are converging (the oldest teams have retired a few oldies and picked up some youngsters, teams like Gold Coast/Carlton have grabbed some experience and aged a bit). The gaps probably never been so small before. Ideally you'd take a list of probable best 22's (even if you are slightly off on some fringe players) and then compare those which would be more meaningful.

Mar 18, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
University
not collingwood
Define rebuilding. If it's plonking a dozen sub 50 gamers in the side then I'm happy to for the club not to rebuild. But with regular games handed to Moore, De Goey, Maynard, Phillips, Stephenson and Brown who are all 23 or under, with much of the rest of the side filled with 25-28 year olds then I'm happy. Expect Quaynor, T Brown, Murphy, Sier and Bianco to get senior gigs in 2020 too.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Another irrelevant meaningless attempt to get the Tiges in.

people are saying only the top 25/30 matter

pickett and stack are examples this is incorrect - yes its hard for some later rated people to break in but it can still happen they shouldnt be neglected. overall list age still has some importance

Are you suggesting pre seasons are a meaningful measure in the same context as age?

not sure what your talking about, stack was first year player this season

im saying stack was deemed as being as far too unfit to get an afl game and hence irrelevant according to your and you mates theory's. yet, have been proven wrong.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
people are saying only the top 25/30 matter

pickett and stack are examples this is incorrect - yes its hard for some later rated people to break in but it can still happen they shouldnt be neglected. overall list age still has some importance

not sure what your talking about, stack was first year player this season

im saying stack was deemed as being as far too unfit to get an afl game and hence irrelevant according to your and you mates theory's. yet, have been proven wrong.

Liam Ryan played his first game on the G in a premiership, but you wouldnt know that.
Willie Rioli ....

The only thing unique is that the Tiges are involved. BORING !!!!

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Liam Ryan played his first game on the G in a premiership, but you wouldnt know that.
Willie Rioli ....

The only thing unique is that the Tiges are involved. BORING !!!!

it was just an example, used cause i know more about the tigers team

but my point was it can be applied to all teams, the overall list age does matter a bit regardless of some here saying it isnt important

BBC1967

Cancelled
Aug 9, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Every single list is young and constantly rebuilding, such is the obsession with youth and upside in the AFL. It's no surprise that every year, the youngest sides are the ones that are at the bottom of the ladder. Recruit experience and leadership, and results will drastically improve immediately.
Tigers are where on this list? Reigning Premiers 2/3 and can't get a guernsey for best list in some quarters.

_Rake_

Club Legend
Oct 16, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Interesting to see the list of age averages (I guess), but irrelevant IMO of any actual meaning. One or two players can skew the percentage and it's all so close anyway in the end.

Back