Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree 100%, didn’t the club say they were after speed in the midfield? Then they go after all these talls.

A lot of mixed messages for my point of view. If we are rebuilding then it’s smart to take talls this year and get some midfielders in the next few draft, but then we take 2 mature players in the rookie draft. We can’t have it both ways. We need to accept that we need a rebuild and take a few years near the bottom and play the kids to challenge for a flag. Having a bit of young and then mature players will leave us mediocre forever.

I’m really confused by Hamish as well, 2 years in a row we have had good top 35 pick to regenerate our list but he trades them for later pick. Also doesn’t take young players in the rookie draft or our full quota of players. I’m starting to lose confidence in his decision making. He has been good so far but making many odd decisions

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

As much as I love Hamish and what he does he tends to learn on left field picks rather then the obvious ones right in front of him.

Just hope he has gotten it right and gets it right next year. Only time will tell

I agree 100%, didn’t the club say they were after speed in the midfield? Then they go after all these talls.

A lot of mixed messages for my point of view. If we are rebuilding then it’s smart to take talls this year and get some midfielders in the next few draft, but then we take 2 mature players in the rookie draft. We can’t have it both ways. We need to accept that we need a rebuild and take a few years near the bottom and play the kids to challenge for a flag. Having a bit of young and then mature players will leave us mediocre forever.

I’m really confused by Hamish as well, 2 years in a row we have had good top 35 pick to regenerate our list but he trades them for later pick. Also doesn’t take young players in the rookie draft or our full quota of players. I’m starting to lose confidence in his decision making. He has been good so far but making many odd decisions

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
These 2 mature age recruits aren't veterans they're both 22 and coming into their prime AFL years....these are not Sam Gibson types at all.

And these midfielders with speed that were left on the board at our 2nd and 3rd picks were ?

So here's the past 10 years of drafting

View attachment 787088

Interesting stuff. Would look a lot better retaining players like McGovern and Cameron

Good strike rate in the rookie draft but we haven't even bothered with it the last four seasons basically. We used to have consecutive years of picking decent young players in the rookie draft.

These 2 mature age recruits aren't veterans they're both 22 and coming into their prime AFL years....these are not Sam Gibson types at all.

And these midfielders with speed that were left on the board at our 2nd and 3rd picks were ?
And both from good programs that had heavy depth at the positions they were vying for ... Crocker is a bit of a wildcard and Keays i say will push for games from the get go .

And both from good programs that had heavy depth at the positions they were vying for ... Crocker is a bit of a wildcard and Keays i say will push for games from the get go .
We may have learnt something with the Stack, Kelly and Picket selections that there are some good slightly older players out there that are the equal or better than players straight out of the u18. Adelaide will not want to finish low. We have outed the reasons for our poor player development (I hope). Its not in our DNA to finish low. I'm expecting a reasonable year.

We may have learnt something with the Stack, Kelly and Picket selections that there are some good slightly older players out there that are the equal or better than players straight out of the u18. Adelaide will not want to finish low. We have outed the reasons for our poor player development (I hope). Its not in our DNA to finish low. I'm expecting a reasonable year.
For sure , 22 with hunger and talent is the perfect age to give the chance to .

Hearing a few interviews from people at the club it feels like we are still in denial about the state of our list. The continual 'the list is better than people think it is' coming from Hamish and others is just silly talk. Our midfield is still one paced and one way and our rookie draft picks scream safe and low risk low reward where we should be trying to unearth gems. I do like what we did the main draft though.
Mulera, Jones, Smith, McHenry will all get large amounts of midfield time. It is so much faster this year without CEY and Greenwood, and we will give the other blokes a try too

Interesting stuff. Would look a lot better retaining players like McGovern and Cameron

Good strike rate in the rookie draft but we haven't even bothered with it the last four seasons basically. We used to have consecutive years of picking decent young players in the rookie draft.
This has coincided with having an SANFL team and ensuring we put a half competitive team out there .

For sure , 22 with hunger and talent is the perfect age to give the chance to .
Stack , Kelly an Pickett would have all been drafted as youngsters however being indigenous with troubled backgrounds is why they didn’t . It took Kelly and Picket to grow older and wiser for clubs to trust to pick them .

Stack , Kelly an Pickett would have all been drafted as youngsters however being indigenous with troubled backgrounds is why they didn’t . It took Kelly and Picket to grow older and wiser for clubs to trust to pick them .
ok ... stack was 18 when drafted though . Pickett 27

It looks a bit different if you add Butt and Strachan last year. IMHO Butt is a big chance to become a long term part of our defence and Strachan is a crazy chance to win the keyforward/back up ruck role.

It would be nice if we could pick up a teenager as a rookie and for him to play 32 games in his first two seasons on our list but I guess that would never happen at the Crows.

Agree. I think what many are forgetting is that it wasn't a great draft year. We got good quality and smashed it out of the park in terms of positioning ourselves for next year's draft.
Grabbing a couple of young lads with AFL ready bodies in the rookie draft was smart. Low cost, good upside.

It looks a bit different if you add Butt and Strachan last year. IMHO Butt is a big chance to become a long term part of our defence and Strachan is a crazy chance to win the keyforward/back up ruck role.

It would be nice if we could pick up a teenager as a rookie and for him to play 32 games in his first two seasons on our list but I guess that would never happen at the Crows.
How many games did Charlie play in his first 2 years? Laird?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How many games did Charlie play in his first 2 years? Laird?
Whoops, should have added the ;).

I find it amusing that many posters including Scorpus ignore Murphy, presumably because he is a dwarf.

Along with a couple of other posters I suggested that we should pick up the sMurph in the Rookie Draft after he outperformed all of our 2016 draftees in the SANFL as a top up player in 2017. Before the first JLT at Strathalbyn last year I said to my mates that it would not surprise me if he played in Round one and he did plus he ended up playing 11 games in his first season. He added another 21 games this year.

Not a bad effort for a rookie listed player, let alone a dwarf.

I find it amusing that many posters including Scorpus ignore Murphy, presumably because he is a dwarf.

Along with a couple of other posters I suggested that we should pick up the sMurph in the Rookie Draft after he outperformed all of our 2016 draftees in the SANFL as a top up player in 2017. Before the first JLT at Strathalbyn last year I said to my mates that it would not surprise me if he played in Round one and he did plus he ended up playing 11 games in his first season. He added another 21 games this year.

Problem is he’s not playing in the position that earnt him a call up. He’s not a small forward.

And he wasn’t really a rookie, as you said he already had a year with us.

To me it suggests poor drafting and more probably youth development. 2016/7 seem bad years with no players really establishing themselves. I am glad we have decided to go big(lots of picks) at the draft.

I think you should have a look at other clubs' histories. I'd be interested to see every club side by side. I'm guessing most would look similar. It's hard to draft good players with the majority of your picks every year.

2016 could turn out poor if Gooch doesn't come on. 2017 we only had two picks and one was 40. Fog looks to be on the money. That's why I mentioned our last two and next years will be important. We've actually had quite a few picks < 40 for a change.

It is the reason he shouldn't be written off ... the amount of effort he put in to chasing and doing the team things when others were not able to took it out of him season just gone . Wouldn't be surprised that with a more even spread of defensive pressure his offensive game and finishing off in front of goal improves over the next couple of seasons . We haven't seen the best of the little Smurphy yet .

ADELAIDE

DRAFT PICKS

6. Fischer McAsey: 195cm, 86kg, Defender, Sandringham Dragons

25. Harry Schoenberg: 180cm, 78kg, Midfielder, Woodville West Torrens

28. Josh Worrell: 195cm, 74kg, Defender, Sandringham Dragons

42. Ronin O’Connor: 191cm, 85kg, Midfielder, Claremont

48. Lachlan Gollant: 191cm, 72kg, Midfielder, Calder Cannon

ROOKIE PICKS

7. Ben Keays: 185cm, 89kg, Midfielder, Brisbane Lions

21. Ben Crocker: 188cm, 84kg, Midfielder, Collingwood

Buckenara says: It’s a new generation at Adelaide and the future looks bright. Fischer McAsey brings nice traits and reads the play so well that he can float in and take intercept marks. After losing Alex Keath to the Bulldogs he’s a good addition to develop alongside Daniel Talia and Tom Doedee.

Good to see the Crows bring in some midfield speed and creativity with Harry Schoenberg, Ronin O’Connor and Lachlan Gollant given their onballers are all similar types who aren’t known for their pace. Schoenberg in particular is exactly what they need – he brings speed, endurance and very good skills.

They got a bit of a steal with Josh Worrell at pick 28 – I had him at No.12 – and they just couldn’t pass him up as they would have thought he’d be long gone.

McAsey should get a taste at AFL level next year. Ex-Pie Ben Crocker was an interesting move in the rookie draft. He is a good size and can be a goalkicker.

Buckenara’s verdict: Added some speed and some good key-position prospects, who are always hard to find. Would be very happy with their haul.

Problem is he’s not playing in the position that earnt him a call up. He’s not a small forward.

Disagree, think his pressure game and speed is much more valuable up forward than in defence

Do think that he needs to find that goal-kicking trait but he's said he knows that's something to work on, it'll come

Disagree, think his pressure game and speed is much more valuable up forward than in defence

Do think that he needs to find that goal-kicking trait but he's said he knows that's something to work on, it'll come
Do players really find goal kicking traits or is it natural?

I can’t see him ever getting to a level that makes him a weapon like some of the best small forwards in the comp and that’s what we should be aiming for, not another Petrenko

Hey Kristof you were saying Georgiades was a "bolter", strange that Port's Geoff Parker said they knew that if they didn't swoop when they did Geelong were going to take him with the pick after theirs. He was no "bolter" in clubland only to the media guys that didn't do their homework on how good he was at last year's Championships for a skinny and physically underdeveloped tall under ager.....nothing like the big strapping lad that rocked up to the Combine and tested impressively even though he'd not played a game in 2019 with his quad issues.

It was a similar situation with Georgiades.
Port believed the athletic West Australian forward had significant upside after missing all of 2019 with a persistent quad injury, but sources told the Power they needed to take him at pick 18, otherwise Geelong would with the next choice.
“At the end of last year, Williams and Georgiades were really, really high up on our draft boards,” Davies said.

Firstly sMurph never trained with the AFL squad in 2016, the nearest he got was selling scarves in the Crows Shop. He barely qualified for the draft in 2016 (born 4/12/98) and the easy option was to go back to the TAC as an overager. He moved state to play in the SANFL and outperformed all our 2016 draftees.

He was the last selection in the 2017 rookie draft and easily the best Kid picked up in the 2017 rookie draft since half those selected were recycled AFL players and guys in their twenties.

When he was interviewed post draft he said that Don Pyke phoned him after Charlie Cameron decided to take the money and run and Don wanted to draft him as a pressure forward. His answer was he would .be happy to play anywhere Don liked.

sMurph is a ripper Kid and it pisses me off that many Crows BigFooty posters (not directed at you EC) fail to recognise what he has already achieved. It is unlikely that any other teenager picked up in the 2017 rookie draft will play more AFL games than sMurph.

I am also willing to bet that Jordan Butts will be the pick of the Kids from the 2018 rookie draft.

My overall point was that most clubs are using the Rookie Draft to pick up recycled players or more mature players from state leagues. Whilst we haven’t picked up any teenagers in this year’s Rookie Draft, we have arguably the best record in recent years in drafting Kids in the Rookie Draft.

Agree , it is there ... there were alot of near misses and a few sprays when exhausted . Only 20 , we have enough HBF , best work for him is pressure and some goals up forward . If he is superceded then we are in good shape but the one thing you know is he will fight the hardest of anyone for his spot .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back