The on topic thread 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duckenfield found not guilty for what happened at Hillsborough
Not surprised by that in all honesty. My take is he obviously ordered the outside gates to be opened to prevent a crush developing outside, but he failed to close off the tunnel to the central pens which were already packed. It’s probably gross negligence or something like that I’d have thought

That's what he was charged with and acquitted on (technically the charge was gross negligence manslaughter)

Yeah after I posted that I thought hang on gross negligence is a charge that leads to manslaughter - so obviously I’m a bit of a doughnut.

Would be interested to know how he got off that charge. He could see the central pens were already packed and wasn’t it his authority to ensure no one else entered them? Maybe they’ve decided it was more of a collective guilt on South Yorkshire Police for losing control of the situation and appointing a man who had no experience of taking charge of an event that big and at that venue...

Would be interested to know how he got off that charge
My guess is that the problem is with the wording on what constitutes "gross negligence"
For negligence to be found to be 'gross', it must be, having regard to the foreseeable risk of death, so truly and exceptionally bad, so blameworthy, so reprehensible and so deserving of punishment, that it deserves to be marked by conviction of the serious crime of manslaughter.
The way that instruction is worded it seems like it has to be almost deliberate to meet the definition

Him only being partly responsible should not be enough to acquit according to the judge's instructions

The bottom of this page has a few of the pertinent questions the judge asked the jury to consider in their deliberations

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I was lucky enough to chat to Callum Elder last night, left back for Hull City who is on the periphery of the Australian team. Talked to him about his early career, what it was like being at Leicester when they won the league, his ambitions for playing for the Soccerroos and what he thinks Hull's chances are of going up. If anyone's interested:

******* terrible to hear, can't imagine what it would be like to go through. Not sure how to word this in the right way, but especially as a footballer with so much money it would be so tough for him to feel so powerless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back