2019 Draft thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Briz interesting that you think that Smith is Robbos replacement, must admit I figured more Gardner- feels like all that tape will soon be switched from strapping to duct tape to keep him together. I love the way he goes about it but I fear for Darcy’s longevity.

I had the same concerns about Darcy, then I looked back and I’m pretty sure he had his shoulders tapped as a junior too. I wouldn’t worry about it at this point in time.

Adelaide, Greater Western Sydney, Hawthorn and West Coast have openings that can be used in the SSP or NAB AFL Mid-Season Rookie Draft. I wonder if Nic Robbo can grab one of these I like to see him get another shot.

Dodongo remembers GWS and Adelaide being interested. Dodongo thinks he ends up at one of those destinations

Dodongo remembers GWS and Adelaide being interested. Dodongo thinks he ends up at one of those destinations
I reckon anyone that watched his final against GWS would see he is a good tagger, he can have a lock down role for teams that play like that. GWS have a tagger in De Bore who is arguably the best in the game so I agree the Crows are the most likely to need him of the two to limit some beatings they will get. Even we didn't seem to tag Cripps or Bontempelli last year and i think he does a reasonable job on those types when given the specific task.

Felt like we were constantly a pick late through the entire draft, sometimes that happens and the draft doesn’t fall for you- probably should say most times.

However Robertson looks like a genuine beast, Smith at worst will add to an already strong culture and Coleman is a player we knew well and weren’t going to slip by. All I can think of with Prior is the first time he gets called holding the ball and all the bad puns from the commentary box.

Add in the extra first round pick next year albeit no second and we will just keep feeding talent into the squad.

Side note with all the Smiths we now have in the squad can we change our mascot to the gobbledock??
Like your comments. Particularly the pick up on Prior’s name. Nickname “Opportunity”?

Which rookies do we think can crack the side this year? It could be a surprise, I doubt many people this time last year saw Answerth becoming a regular in the seniors so quickly. I feel like Brock Smith will get a chance when we play a team like GWS who have several forward marking targets. Coleman certainly played well enough early last year to have made the best 22 if he were eligible.

Which rookies do we think can crack the side this year? It could be a surprise, I doubt many people this time last year saw Answerth becoming a regular in the seniors so quickly. I feel like Brock Smith will get a chance when we play a team like GWS who have several forward marking targets. Coleman certainly played well enough early last year to have made the best 22 if he were eligible.
I still look at McFadyen, T.Berry, Ely and Joyce as rookies still due to the fact that they haven’t had a run in the firsts. Wooller also showed some good patches in the NEAFL who might get a run and add Fullerton. But out of this years draftees it is Coleman that I would like to see get a run up forward.

I get good vibes from Brock Smith. We need depth in backs who can do a genuine job on an opponent. He’s a hard nosed defensive competitor with tidy foot skills. Hodgey will take it from there.

Reckon he has a high footy IQ as well. Seems to read the play beautifully. Our game style requires guys that can intercept mark, so love picking up Smith and Prior. We will see our speed come more through the middle and from the wings in the future i think, back halves will cut the ball off in the air and use good skills start the chain back the other way.

Ideally, minimal injuries again and none of these boys really play next year. Maybe the typical 1 or 2 games for a debut and get a taste before their first full preseason next year. Ah Chee and CEY will already push our depth a bit.

Wouldn't think any would become regulars. Answerth probably isn't a lock yet either

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I want to see Lions reserves against the Gold Coast reserves.

They’re up and about on their board, and so they should be with all their shiny new kids.

They can’t fit them all in the first team yet, but their kids will be up for it against our kids I reckon.

I don't reckon it's corny, it's good access if you ask me. If it was insincere then yeah for sure but it's not. Of all the things leaders in organisations are expected to do calling the new guy to say welcome is nothing and all and sundry can see what a great attitude he has
It's deliberately done in front of a camera, and by most clubs most years. To me, it is the epitome of insincere. It's 100% marketing. Doesn't say anything at all about leadership to me - the club just teeing everything up.

It's deliberately done in front of a camera, and by most clubs most years. To me, it is the epitome of insincere. It's 100% marketing. Doesn't say anything at all about leadership to me - the club just teeing everything up.
Yeah because the 17-18 year old draftee would hate getting a call from senior players the club they’re joining.

Yeah because the 17-18 year old draftee would hate getting a call from senior players the club they’re joining.
And it should happen. The senior player should call in, but to stick a camera in front of the draftee simply means that they have to be scripted, and stick to the same banal cliches as during an interview. To me it comes off as the club going "look as us pretending to be welcoming but really just pushing the draftee through more PR exercises". I don't feel it is of any benefit to the draftee.

And it should happen. The senior player should call in, but to stick a camera in front of the draftee simply means that they have to be scripted, and stick to the same banal cliches as during an interview. To me it comes off as the club going "look as us pretending to be welcoming but really just pushing the draftee through more PR exercises". I don't feel it is of any benefit to the draftee.
The smile of Deven’s face says otherwise.
That part was not scripted!

Personally I want to see Lions reserves against the Gold Coast reserves.

They’re up and about on their board, and so they should be with all their shiny new kids.

They can’t fit them all in the first team yet, but their kids will be up for it against our kids I reckon.
Will be good to see. We need more competition in the twos, a few close games, or ideally a close game every 2nd week would be great. Too one-sided this year, like playing Pakistan in cricket. Australia should play Victoria for some competition in that other sport.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back