List Mgmt. 2019 Draft/Trade/FA Thread - Final Wrap

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 17, 2009
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Gold Coast
That’s the laziness I warned Carlton supporters of, and they scoffed at it. When the going gets tough, Jack drops off.
It was a (slightly)mitigating factor in the Prestia trade that he played it out to the end (until the inevitable moon booting from round 16)
The reason the guy is successful is because of that attitude
Jack should take note

Sep 25, 2012
Brisbane
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
OKC, Chelsea FC, Raiders

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-11-30/2020-vision-cal-twomeys-10-young-guns-to-watch

Alex Davies listed in Cal Twomeys 10 to watch for next year. Exciting times.

Also ‘only’ 4 of the 10 seem to be tied to a club. Don’t know how many there are after that in the next group of players however.
Just goes to show our pick 11 traded to the Cats could well be around pick 15 next year (where we rated Jeremy this year). But no, we get caned by the nuffies on other boards like we did in the Weller for Pick 2 trade where they pick and choose facts to suit their narrative.
Incidentally, Weller actually turns out to be the steak knives in that deal. Both pick 2 Andrew Brayshaw and Charlie Ballard both finished 9th in their respective club B&Fs.

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
But don’t worry you can average 4 possessions and not be able to do the basic skills of a footballer but as long as you are an athlete can get drafted #mixed messages
Why don't all of you become recruiting team and let us here said your sending mixed messenge.

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Congratulations on what looks like great draft selections for 2019.
I was interested in priority picks allocated at number 1 since the draft first started. As in how successful were they in hindsight.

Your Club and fans would be delighted to know that all bar two have played over 200 games. These two are still playing Kreuzer (188) & Scully (173)
More importantly they all stayed at their original Club for the majority of their AFL career.

Below list of players selected with priority pick 1 since the draft started in 1981. List order is first one selected in 1992 to present. Total games in brackets.

Drew Banfield (265)- Darren Gasper (228)- Jeff White (268)- Travis Johnson (209)- Josh Fraser (218)- Nick Riewoldt (336)- Luke Hodge (346)-
Adam Cooney (250)- Brett Deledio (275)- Mac Murphy (268)- Matthew Kreuzer (188)- Tom Scully (173) and now Matthew Rowell.

Good luck in 2020.

Sunstar

Senior List
Sep 20, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Why don't all of you become recruiting team and let us here said your sending mixed messenge.
It’s not about Gore or any set player, it is about choosing the best available kids on performance not a hunch. Hawthorn would have never chose a kid that was struggling to get a game in their academy side, if we were going to choose a 20 year old I would have picked Greenwool, Koenan, Gilmore , Portillie or McDonald before him. Just accept that most people with a reasonable knowledge of football would find it a perplexing decision given we already have chosen two projects in Conroy and Twowey. As our qld selection we should have chosen our next best performing academy kid whether it was Joyce , Gore or Buckland that’s how a just and equitable academy works. I have seen too many good academy footballers not given the chance ie Haberfield, Blood , Simmington , Foster and they probably would have worked out better than some of the hunch selections we have made with our selected qld kids. Maybe we would have less wooden spoons , getting more list spots due to a lack of success doesn’t mean you should experiment. Those picks are there to strengthen the list. The Fyfes, Reeves and Rowles up for next years draft should be secure that if they perform they will be rewarded not replaced by an athlete at the last minute.This has been going on since 2010 and is a big reason why a lot of parents don’t like their kids going through the academy.

Remember at least the footballers still have a go when the going gets tough , the athletes go missing . A vertical jump record means nothing when your one out with Dustin Martin

Last edited:

Peel67skin

Norm Smith Medallist
May 21, 2017
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Liverpool
It’s not about Gore or any set player, it is about choosing the best available kids on performance not a hunch. Hawthorn would have never chose a kid that was struggling to get a game in their academy side, if we were going to choose a 20 year old I would have picked Greenwool, Koenan, Gilmore , Portillie or McDonald before him. Just accept that most people with a reasonable knowledge of football would find it a perplexing decision given we already have chosen two projects in Conroy and Twowey. As our qld selection we should have chosen our next best performing academy kid whether it was Joyce , Gore or Buckland that’s how a just and equitable academy works. I have seen too many good academy footballers not given the chance ie Haberfield, Blood , Simmington , Foster and they probably would have worked out better than some of the hunch selections we have made with our selected qld kids. Maybe we would have less wooden spoons , getting more list spots due to a lack of success doesn’t mean you should experiment. Those picks are there to strengthen the list. The Fyfes, Reeves and Rowles up for next years draft should be secure that if they perform they will be rewarded not replaced by an athlete at the last minute.This has been going on since 2010 and is a big reason why a lot of parents don’t like their kids going through the academy.

Remember at least the footballers still have a go when the going gets tough , the athletes go missing . A vertical jump record means nothing when your one out with Dustin Martin
I am not having a go at you, I just think that a cat B spot should not get so much attention from fans , is not his fault that GCS pick him, why add extra pressure on him, he might become good. I would like to think is a strategic move to pick More academy players next year with only one first round and 2 second Rd. This is just my assumption
GHS, Murdoch, Miles, Hanley maybe all move to rookie list next year.

* rookie pick I not too concern, Sam Flanders and Sharp extend or don't extend their contract will always be the talking point.
Habrow (maybe retire)
Promote Budarick and Rosa to senior list if they prove they are worthy
Delist Heron, Dawson, shoenfield
Pre list Alex Davies, Gore, Ace, Jeffer

Jirik13

Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 22, 2018
AFL Club
Gold Coast

If these academy players were good enough other teams would pick them up just like Richmond, Essendon did this year with Lions academy kids.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
He left because his little princess demanded he take her back to Melbourne.
So that’s the real reason or this a SO I’M TOLD?

Makes perfect sense if true (explains why we put some effort into trying to convince him to stay) and would be disconcerting for Carlton to have a player coming to them just because his girlfriend wanted to be back in Melbourne.

OB11

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 4, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
76ers

Let me summarise this for you.

If he was good enough he would have got drafted by 1 of the 18 AFL clubs. Do you know what message got sent to him by that fact - he's not good enough at this stage. Plain and bloody simple.

The message it sends to the other academy kids is don't rely on the Suns to draft you if you are not good enough, make sure you are good enough for another club to draft you. The academy players need to take responsibility for their own careers.

Sounds like you have a vested interest here for the academy players and not the club.

eppo67

Premiership Player
May 24, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
So that’s the real reason or this a SO I’M TOLD?

Makes perfect sense if true (explains why we put some effort into trying to convince him to stay) and would be disconcerting for Carlton to have a player coming to them just because his girlfriend wanted to be back in Melbourne.
OK l'll say it again. Everything l come up with l've been told. I know absolutely zero of my own accord.
His girlfriend is from Melbourne and wanted to go back it was the final nail. He had also checked out and had enough of getting flogged and wanted to play at the MCG in front of crowds.
SO I'M TOLD.

Aug 17, 2010
AFL Club
Gold Coast
OK l'll say it again. Everything l come up with l've been told. I know absolutely zero of my own accord.
His girlfriend is from Melbourne and wanted to go back it was the final nail. He had also checked out and had enough of getting flogged and wanted to play at the MCG in front of crowds.
SO I'M TOLD.
All cool Eppo, was just so used to seeing the SO I’M TOLD on your posts, I wasn’t 100% sure. Your intel is the best on the Suns board by a long way and always much appreciated.

Jan 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Gold Coast
SO I'M TOLD.

lol

At not getting flogged.

what’s Carlton shown?

Martin to be the next Deledio,
Leave an under performing club..

next minute the under performing club charges to the top and wins 2 premierships while Deledio walks away from the game with zilch.

Mt Isa Mustang

Cancelled
Dream Team Club Board Winner
Nov 23, 2019
AFL Club
Gold Coast
lol

At not getting flogged.

what’s Carlton shown?

Martin to be the next Deledio,
Leave an under performing club..

next minute the under performing club charges to the top and wins 2 premierships while Deledio walks away from the game with zilch.
Your best post Ben

Remove this Banner Ad

Back