Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Sicily - Frost - Scrimshaw
Scully - Mitchell - Smith
Breust - Lewis - Gunston
Pop - Patton - Wingard
R: Mcevoy - Worpel - Omera
Int: Burgoyne - TOB - Ceglar - Shiels

Eme: Nash - Maginness - CJ - Hartley
No Hendo mate? Surely there's a place on the pine at least.

No Hendo mate? Surely there's a place on the pine at least.

I knew there would be one id miss.. yeah he definitely slides onto the bench, hopefully there’s enough pressure for spots that the older lads are pushed out.

Hardwick - Frawley - Stratton
Scully - Mitchell - Smith
Breust - Lewis - Gunston
Pop - Patton - Wingard
R: Mcevoy - Worpel - Omera
Int: Burgoyne - TOB - Ceglar - Shiels

Eme: Nash - Maginness - CJ - Hartley

I like this side have a feeling Pepper will be trying to get one of the pressure forwards roles.

They'd have to be pretty good to push Henderson out of the side. Don't understand the emphasis on youth in the AFL to be honest.

Statistics have shown for years that once a player hits 30 their production starts to dip, there's a science around why clubs aim for their best players to be in that 24-28 range.

They'd have to be pretty good to push Henderson out of the side. Don't understand the emphasis on youth in the AFL to be honest.
I agree.

tige19 has noted the drop-off in over-30's, but I don't think that's what you're talking about.

IMO, there are 2 elements to it:

1. Timeline; &,
2. Contributors.

So, you set a goal (on a timeline), then make sure you have players that contribute to achieving it. Bringing in a mature-body 26yr old KPP for 3-5yrs service during years that coincide with your timeline for success, makes perfect sense. Same as a couple of 28-32yr olds, for 2-3 yrs service.

Having youth: players that come in at 18 & retire at 33, is awesome as they carry culture & continuity etc. but if we look at a list as a collection of contributors for a specified period (say, our 5-yr plan from 2018-2022), then youth is no more effective/desirable than a 27-28yr old established role player. Also, players coming in for 15 years & ending as Club stalwarts etc. are kinda rare. In a lot of ways, we're much better identifying guys at 21-23yrs of age & trading them in, then enjoying their contribution for 10 years instead of hoping to draft them at 18 & seeing them play for 15 years.

And I get it - young players bring energy & they're exciting but I think we get the balance right more often than not. Day + Finn + Ekra offset by Patton, Frosty & Hartley gives us both TODAY + TOMORROW IMO. Much better than sides like Port, Melbourne, Saints (not this off-season), Carlton, Gil Coast etc., whom are forever loading up on young talent, but never really moving year-to-year.

I see a fair bit of upside in our squad for next year - quite different to the year just gone.

Players I expect to have better years (form, settled in, natural improvement)

Wingard
Gunston
Omeara
Scully
Worpel
Hardwick
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Sicily
Ceglar
Obrien

Best 22 not present in 2019

Mitchell
Patton
Frost

Expecting good output from

Big Boy
Bruest
Shiels
Chip
Hendo
Stratton

Burgs & Pop not sure.

Plus the new kids & already present kids with further development.

our best 22 for round 1

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Sicily, Frost, Burgoyne

C: Smith, Mitchell, Henderson
R: McEvoy, Worpel, JOM

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Scully
F: Puopolo, Lewis, Breust

INT: Shiels, Patton, Scrimshaw, Ceglar

injured - Impey

i think we have a clear top 23 players on our list with another dozen or so as squad depth.

I can't really pick any faults with most of the best 22s that have been posted here. There are a players floating around the edges that I think are interchangeable in the last few positions, but generally 90% of the team seems pretty set at this stage.

What I would have liked to see is some more of our BHH players/fringe players really pushing for best 22. The Hanrahan/Moores who got a run last year, or even the Walkers/Kozis who have not had a run yet. Love for a couple of them to put their hands up for a first 22 spot in round one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

our best 22 for round 1

B: Stratton, Frawley, Hardwick
HB: Sicily, Frost, Burgoyne

C: Smith, Mitchell, Henderson
R: McEvoy, Worpel, JOM

HF: Wingard, Gunston, Scully
F: Puopolo, Lewis, Breust

INT: Shiels, Patton, Scrimshaw, Ceglar

injured - Impey

i think we have a clear top 23 players on our list with another dozen or so as squad depth.

Totally agree with your best 22 but I’d do a couple of positional switches. I’d have Hendo at HB, Scully on the wing and Silk at HF. Also I reckon depending on weather we only play 1 ruckman every game. The fact we’ll have Lewis and Patton up front probably means if it rains we might have to go with an extra small or on baller. Oh and Timmy O is obviously pretty stiff not to be in the best 22 but as mentioned above playing 2 talks in Patton / Lewis makes it hard playing and extra ruckman let alone another tall... too many KPP problems 🤪

I see a fair bit of upside in our squad for next year - quite different to the year just gone.

Players I expect to have better years (form, settled in, natural improvement)

Wingard
Gunston
Omeara
Scully
Worpel
Hardwick
Scrimshaw
Lewis
Sicily
Ceglar
Obrien

Best 22 not present in 2019

Mitchell
Patton
Frost

Expecting good output from

Big Boy
Bruest
Shiels
Chip
Hendo
Stratton

Burgs & Pop not sure.

Plus the new kids & already present kids with further development.

Every year I feel less and less sure in the further development of players.
The only things I am pretty sure of are the kids are getting bigger and people are living longer.
EGHdwTeVUAArQTJ.jpg

Rewatched a bunch of 2019 games over the last few days, here is my number one observation:

- JOM and Worpel work like donkeys all game every game, yet we are still often beaten out of the centre for 10-15 minute periods (usually when one of the aforementioned needs a rest). I often see Scully, Henderson, Smith, Breust, Howe or Poppy present at these stoppages, and despite their skill in other areas, they rarely win clearances. We suffer hugely because of our lack of ball-winners. If it wasn't for phone-a-friend Burgoyne, or McEvoy putting in the A+ work to keep taps in close and slow things up, we would've certainly lost to both Pies and Cats on the run home, in addition to many games we did lose throughout the season because of our lack of stoppage competitiveness (see St Kilda, Western Bulldogs).

Welcome back Tom Mitchell, that's for sure - but I also hope we see Finn playing early in the season. If his body is ready, I think any player who can win the ball and just get it going our way is worth more to us than anything right now. I'm all in round 1.

Our backline is settled, strong and now bats pretty deep. Our outside game is red hot, with Smith, Scully and Henderson, and we still have the gun-shy but gifted Morrison in the 'wings' as well (I also think it's where we might see Will Day lining up). Our forward line is stacked, the balance of talls and smalls likely to be a weekly selection headache. Like every forward line though, they'll look crap if we can't get it in there quickly enough and often enough.

My Round 1 team:

Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
Scrimshaw, Sicily, Frost
Scully, O'Meara, Smith
Gunston, Lewis, Wingard
Breust, Patton, Puopolo
McEvoy, Mitchell, Worpel
Int: Henderson, Burgoyne, O'Brien, Maginness

*desperately unlucky and had to be squeezed out: Conor Nash & Daniel Howe

Last edited:
Rewatched a bunch of 2019 games over the last few days, here is my number one observation:

- JOM and Worpel work like donkeys all game every game, yet we are still often beaten out of the centre for 10-15 minute periods (usually when one of the aforementioned needs a rest). I often see Scully, Henderson, Smith, Breust, Howe or Poppy present at these stoppages, and despite their skill in other areas, they rarely win clearances. We suffer hugely because of our lack of ball-winners. If it wasn't for phone-a-friend Burgoyne, or McEvoy putting in the A+ work to keep taps in close and slow things up, we would've certainly lost to both Pies and Cats on the run home, in addition to many games we did lose throughout the season because of our lack of stoppage competitiveness (see St Kilda, Western Bulldogs).

Welcome back Tom Mitchell, that's for sure - but I also hope we see Finn playing early in the season. If his body is ready, I think any player who can win the ball and just get it going our way is worth more to us than anything right now. I'm all in round 1.

Our backline is settled, strong and now bats pretty deep. Our outside game is red hot, with Smith, Scully and Henderson, and we still have the gun-shy but gifted Morrison in the 'wings' as well (I also think it's where we might see Will Day lining up). Our forward line is stacked, the balance of talls and smalls likely to be a weekly selection headache. Like every forward line though, they'll look crap if we can't get it in there quickly enough and often enough.

My Round 1 team:

Hardwick, Frawley, Stratton
Scrimshaw, Sicily, Frost
Scully, O'Meara, Smith
Gunston, Lewis, Wingard
Breust, Patton, Puopolo
McEvoy, Mitchell, Worpel
Int: Henderson, Burgoyne, O'Brien, Maginness

*desperately unlucky and had to be squeezed out: Conor Nash & Daniel Howe

No Shiels?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Totally agree with your best 22 but I’d do a couple of positional switches. I’d have Hendo at HB, Scully on the wing and Silk at HF. Also I reckon depending on weather we only play 1 ruckman every game. The fact we’ll have Lewis and Patton up front probably means if it rains we might have to go with an extra small or on baller. Oh and Timmy O is obviously pretty stiff not to be in the best 22 but as mentioned above playing 2 talks in Patton / Lewis makes it hard playing and extra ruckman let alone another tall... too many KPP problems 🤪

theres already mitch with recovery from surgery so the way the game is, injuries etc, i doubt obrien will miss out too often.
he has versatility, which Clarko loves.
as it is we will have to boost the talls on the box hill list. They are still a bit light on

Key defenders
Frawley
Frost
Hartley
Koschitzke

Medium defenders
Stratton
Sicily
Scrimshaw
Greaves
Day

Small defenders
Hardwick
Glass
Jiath
Pepper

Outside midfielders
Smith
Henderson
Scully
Morrison
Golds

Midfielders
Mitchell
O’Meara
Shiels
Worpel
Cousins
Jones
Maginness

Key forwards
Patton
Lewis

Medium forwards
Gunston
O’Brien
Walker
Ross
Morris

Small forwards
Breust
Wingard
Puopolo
Moore
Hanrahan

Rucks
McEvoy
Ceglar
Reeves
Jeka

Utility
Burgoyne
Howe
Impey
Nash

Stratton - Frawley - Hardwick

Big Boy - Mitchell - O'Meara
Smith - Worpel - Scully

Gunston - Lewis - Wingard
Breust - Patton - Puopolo

Shiels - Burgoyne - Henderson - TOB

I'd really like to see Finn get in there though.
I think your best 22 there is pretty much the same as most. O'Brien, Nash, Ceglar, Howe, Hanrahan, etc could all take that fourth spot on the bench depending on form and the team we are facing. Exciting stuff to see how our team looks when Impey is ready to return. Midfield looks a lot healthier now with Mitchell returning, Worpel and O'Meara stepping it up and Wingard playing well in there.

Our depth also looks far better across the board than recent years with a number of players in all positions that can slot in due to injury and at least hold their own.

Backs
Stratton Frawley Hardwick
Sicily Frost Scrimshaw
Mids
Smith O'Meara Scully
Mitchell McEvoy Worpel
Forwards
Burgoyne Patton Wingard
Breust Lewis Gunston
Interchange
Henderson Puopolo Shiels Ceglar

In the mix