Resource 2019 Draft Watch (we have picks 6 24 25 39 46)

Who will we take with our first pick (#6) in the 2019 draft?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 5, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Hamish comments about our list being better than others think might be a dig at development, match selection and game plan

Imagine spending the time and effort to see the club not play the kids.

Murphy will never be a Milne, Betts, Rioli and he doesn't need to be. They are the exceptions.

Decent structure will help but youth given responsibility will make a massive difference.
Nah I think its more to do with trade period / media when all our veterans were getting pushed out and we would simply fall off a cliff.

I personally think we will just be out the 8 next year. Not bottom 4.

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
The first 3 picks are great rebuilding tools but when the hell is he gonna to pick a few outside wingman? This has been a big issue for years and we haven’t drafted any.

Our list is really uneven and I see a big downfall in the next 2 years. We have no big midfielder and no fast runners. We are depending on Mackay, Atkins and the injury prone Seedsman. We are also slow all around the field. Why pick up all talls?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Say what?
Lachlan Gollant has played wing/outside mid in all his Calder Cannons NAB League games, not sure what position he's played for PEGS in the AGSV school footy program but I think it would be similar.

Ronin O'Connor is 191cm and already 85kg and a sub 3 sec/20m runner

Both Chayce Jones and Will Hamill are sub 3 sec/20m runners and both tested top 10 in the endurance events Hamill in the YO-YO and Jones in the 2km run along with Neddy who was top 10 in both events.

Last edited:

Thetrader15

Cancelled
10k Posts
Oct 16, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Realistically both won’t play much for us. I question why in the last 2 years we downgrade pick to lower positions and miss out on players that would help us. I feel Hamish knows who he wants and gets them. I think Hamish is making odd decisions like the last pick when we had better options.

The first 3 picks are great rebuilding tools but when the hell is he gonna to pick a few outside wingman? This has been a big issue for years and we haven’t drafted any.

Our list is really uneven and I see a big downfall in the next 2 years. We have no big midfielder and no fast runners. We are depending on Mackay, Atkins and the injury prone Seedsman. We are also slow all around the field. Why pick up all talls?

It just makes no sense, even if you say we took beat available it still smells like BS to me. As fans it’s a big let down as well as these guys won’t contribute much if at all next year. We need some good news on the pitch after last year’s poor showing. Only Jones and McHenry will show something I think

You must have missed the draft last year and this year's trade period

Milera, Jones, Smith, McHenry, Gallucci, Brad will all spend a lot of time in the midfield and all are above average speed

Elite Crow

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts TheBrownDog
Mar 21, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
In the last five rookie drafts we've taken two mature AFL players, two mature SANFL players, a mature VFL player, a mature NEAFL player and two father sons no one was interested in. Those players have played 5 AFL games combined. Terrible return.

The two young players we've taken in five years are Butts and Murphy. It's no surprise to me whatsoever these are the only two who look like good prospects. And one of them we had no choice but to look at as he was in our SANFL side. Murphy already has 30 games and Butts should get an opportunity

We need to be doing more young recruiting through the rookie draft. They've been our most successful picks. Not mature discards.

I would have taken O'Neill in this draft no problemo
Wow, didn’t realise it was that bad. I wonder why we’ve changed our strategy given our previous success with how we used the rookie draft.

Chase13

Club Legend
Aug 26, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Say what?
Lachlan Gollant has played wing/outside mid in all his Calder Cannons NAB League games, not sure what position he's played for PEGS in the AGSV school footy program but I think it would be similar.

Ronin O'Connor is 191cm and already 85kg and a sub 3 sec/20m runner

Both Chayce Jones and Will Hamill are sub 3 sec/20m runners and both tested top 10 in the endurance events Hamill in the YO-YO and Jones in the 2km run along with Neddy who was top 10 in both events.
We r not recruiters, we don’t no internally what ur plans are and Hamish doesn’t get much wrong. He doesn’t follow media hype or the sheep, he goes out and recruits, we call them Hamish specials but he is just doing his job and does it well. Example doddee who is he and now guess what, what a great selection. So many outlandish comments and we r not recruiters, leave that to the expert Hamish , he has the runs on the board. I personally think it was an awesome haul from the draft, we should be rapt but can never please everyone!

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
We r not recruiters, we don’t no internally what ur plans are and Hamish doesn’t get much wrong. He doesn’t follow media hype or the sheep, he goes out and recruits, we call them Hamish specials but he is just doing his job and does it well. Example doddee who is he and now guess what, what a great selection. So many outlandish comments and we r not recruiters, leave that to the expert Hamish , he has the runs on the board. I personally think it was an awesome haul from the draft, we should be rapt but can never please everyone!
And wtf is all that gobbedly gook and why are you quoting me with it.

Weiterbot23

Cancelled
Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer Sponsor 2016 Carlton Blues - Matthew Kreuzer 2009 Player Sponsor
Oct 7, 2008
Yarraville
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
OKC
I notice you are discussing Martin, I can shed some light on the contract if you like.

Over the 5 years he will average 600k, that's the same as his last deal at GC.

So after the first two years hell be on like 300k and enable us to add other talent, good management by SOS imo

Nothing like a talented player for free, if only Reid could see the forest from the trees you'd have Mcasey and a free second rounder

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
I notice you are discussing Martin, I can shed some light on the contract if you like.

So after the first two years hell be on like 300k and enable us to add other talent, good management by SOS imo

Nothing like a talented player for free, if only Reid could see the forest from the trees you'd have Mcasey and a free second rounder

After 2 years he'll be offered more by another club if he produces. You'll be back to picking GWS and GC discards again.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams

1575109435675.png

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide

We have seen the sausage through the trees and we no longer want to gamble on anything resembling blue meat .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood

200.gif

How much is Martin earning next season?

Not many AFL players are being paid $1m next season...

Flying_as_One1991

Premium Gold
Oct 22, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Las Vegas Golden Knights, NY Mets

Has to make up for all the stuff ups he has done which send your club backwards for years.

jirkago

Club Legend
Aug 15, 2008
adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I think Ben Keays will play quite a bit of AFL for us, I don't see him as simply a depth player, Crocker may struggle initially but even he could get games if a guy like Lynch gets injured and Davis doesn't elevate his game this season. Think you're underselling both players quite a bit.

Ronin O'Connor is 191cm and 85kg's already [how big do you want?] and has tested sub 3 sec/20m hasn't he?

Both Sholl and Will Hamill are speedy outside mid/wing/hbf types, plenty of run there and Neddy can play that type of role as well.

Hope you are right because we have lacked that outside run for a few years and it never became more evident then when CC left

Oct 17, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Miami Dolphins
Hope you are right because we have lacked that outside run for a few years and it never became more evident then when CC left

Of course he's right. These young players have been toiling away in the SANFL learning their craft. With all the changes they will get their chance now.

There's plenty of speed to come into the side this year. It'll be a new look team hopefully back to playing on quickly.

That muck Pyke and Campo were offering the players was just wrong. Glad they're gone.

ShadeyP

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
Well that’s good then how did u see the draft from crows perspective
I really liked Stephens and Young but very happy with McAsey ... Schoenberg gives us alot of what we do not have and Worrell was a steal .
To be honest i didn't know a great deal about O'Connor and even less about Gollant but content to see how they pan out over the next 2-3 years .
Liked the selections of Keays and Crocker . So All in all a good haul .
My comments to Bicks were good spirited tongue in cheek .... jest .

Jack is Back

Premiership Player
Apr 17, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
So given he moved here, wasn’t playing for any other club, who did he train with?

He wasn’t a stranger to our program like a normal rookie is.tion

Along with more than 30 other top up players, he trained with the SANFL Squad. Things may have changed in the last two years but according to some top up players with the Crows back then, the SANFL squad only had one full on training session each week. Clubs had to get permission from the AFL if they wanted someone to join them for pre-season training. There was no indication that sMurph was involved in the 2017 pre-season.

On the odd occasion during the season he would get permission to train with the AFL squad. He was able to use the gym etc during his lunch break from the Crows Shop. He also had access to the wit and wisdom of Ryan O’Keefe and our unique game plan.

sMurph would have had a better preparation at an SANFL club but the beauty of playing SANFL for the Crows was that he could be directly compared to the players we picked up in the 2016 draft (Gallucci, Poholke, Himmelberg, Signorello, Davis and Jarman) and he performed better than all of them. At the end of the season he was told that there was a 5% chance we would pick him up as a rookie but the cards fell his way and he has played 32 AFL games in his first two seasons.

R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Crowman32

Club Legend
Oct 4, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
ADELAIDE
I really like the players we have drafted in the national and rookie draft.

Mcasey - im hoping we try and develop him as a forward as he has the ability to clunk marks, has good foot skills and once he fully grows into his body he will be a powerful boy. If that doesnt work out at worse he will be a very good defender. Very good pick

Schoenberg - our best player in the under 18s championships. His game against vic metro at alberton oval was brilliant. He reads the ball of the ruck exceptionally well and does it at speed making him a very good stoppage player. His foot skills are quite good considering even if it looks a little unorthodox and hes a tackling machines. I think he can make a inpact next year.

Worrell - really good pick as well. I seem hin as a really good future centre half back once he puts on some size. He will provide great run and his booming penetrating kicks will be very valuable. Can also pinch hit foward and do that well as well.

The last two selections oconnor and gollant are probably going to be good project players so hopefully they turn out good. Dont know a lot about those two.

Rookie picks are okay as well. Keays was regarded as a very good junior and definately could play some good footy for us. Crocker might be handy as well.

Apr 1, 2002
Perth
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Kilkenny Cats, WWT Eagles
OMG is John Elliott back at Carlton

It's all above board. The rest of Carlton's list have all become "Visy Ambassadors".

What a joke they are . And what a disgrace that the AFL allowed this.

It's got a happy ending though. They're $hit. For all the leg ups, early draft picks, and salary rorts they are rubbish. LOL

At least Martin won't get paid with cash in a brown paper bag. As for the rest of the list?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back