No Oppo Supporters 2019 General AFL Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
At that time, which was pretty much my time, it wasn‘t unusual for kids to leave school and start working. Move out of home by 17. Most AFL players were also working.

The difference now, which the article is referring to zi think, is that most don’t get as much exposure as they probably should to life outside the professional bubble.

I think every kid is different, some are going to adapt and some aren’t. And as someone who never went to Uni, I’m more than aware of different paths suiting different people.
So if they are good enough they should be able to play . I hate the TAC Cup , it pigeon holes players. I know Dimma very well and he hates the Tac as well.

Maybe there’s some who can’t play and some who can

If I had a 17 year old son or 16 year old who is mature and ready why should his ability to play and earn money be inhibited because of others

Society trying to fix everyone
That's it. Jack should stop trying to be perfect on everything.

The reality is every young player who thinks they are shot at the draft would spend the next year or two devoted semi-professionally to getting drafted anyway with little earning potential, which would also favour those from more financially secure backgrounds with parents who can afford to support their son's dream.
We also don't have a college or national colts pathway system in place leading to an older draft. Unlike say US football -- where it would take an extraordinary 18-year-old body to play NFL -- plenty at that age thrive in AFL. Look at Rowbottom at the coalface.
Also, delaying it in age would be wasting the time of the big number on the cusp who aren't drafted. In the current system they can go and do something else or still give it a shot but knowing the odds of getting in via the state leagues is tougher.

I actually can't stand most of his thoughts. It was so good to see young players like Tim Watson at 15 make his debut. Never affected him. Not every kid is trying to go to UNI.
It's a different time, I finished school in 06 and certainly the attitude expressed by all the parents was after school you go to uni and only if you're a poor student do you consider an apprenticeship. Anything else you're seeing yourself up for failure.

These statements might not be true but that didn't stop it from being expressed.

Kids are often still in school in their first year in AFL level. Hanners was flying up from Melbourne on the weekend to play.

I feel the age should be moved up 2 years at least.

This would also have the added benefit of increasing the standard of the state leagues as the kids would play there for the 2 inbetween

Brandon Jack provides his thoughts on increasing draft age by a year

I disagree.

Having a year to smoke some dope, late boozey nights chasing wimeens, or becoming a vegan /political Uni activist, and or backpacking around Europe , or starting the hard yards of a trade apprenticeship would do nothing for
Judd Hodge Riewoldts Heeney Papley types etc ,nor even bro Kieran!

It is a hard road, lots fail, and end up whinging in a opinion columns of the paper because that's where they wanted their fame to be , and sadly like most, FAILED.

Then again put it off till your 50, and actually have worked out a few things about life, then that would be a good idea
I reckon Channel 7 would have something to say about that tho.?

if the clubs and the afl actually put genuine time and care into juniors you dont need an age, pick those ready, help those who arent

the afl and clubs to a lesser degree don't give a * about these kids really

Jack's a good man interested in throwing out ideas for discussion.
I find it strange how people can be threatened by that.
Same people losing their sheet over Greta I'd wager.
While I agree it would be good for a lot of these footy players to learn the value of money before they start earning it by the ute-full (save them throwing it away on sports gambling etc), I don't think it practical really. The NCAA in the US is an example of how someone else will collect their money if we don't let them earn it professionally.

Wonder if they will ever get rid of the interchange cap.

I'm not sure how much of a coincidence it is that scoring started declining as soon as they started messing with interchange numbers.

At that time, which was pretty much my time, it wasn‘t unusual for kids to leave school and start working. Move out of home by 17. Most AFL players were also working.

The difference now, which the article is referring to zi think, is that most don’t get as much exposure as they probably should to life outside the professional bubble.

I think every kid is different, some are going to adapt and some aren’t. And as someone who never went to Uni, I’m more than aware of different paths suiting different people.
Agree,, every kid is different.
It takes a certain level of maturity to make it in the big bad world - the world outside of school and Mum n Dad. Kids these days may grow up slower than previous generations.. probably due to the affluent society we live in now. But I disagree its up to the AFL, the AFL clubs or Universities or any other workplace or pathway to fix this. Its up to the parents to prepare their kids for the world - grow their wings and watch them fly
There are good workplaces that recognise and work with the maturity of their new, young employees and s**t ones that don't. Different kids will thrive in different environments. We're lucky the Swans is a Fantastic work place - the Swans culture which is nationally and to a level internationally recognised, is testament to this.

Agree,, every kid is different.
It takes a certain level of maturity to make it in the big bad world - the world outside of school and Mum n Dad. Kids these days may grow up slower than previous generations.. probably due to the affluent society we live in now. But I disagree its up to the AFL, the AFL clubs or Universities or any other workplace or pathway to fix this. Its up to the parents to prepare their kids for the world - grow their wings and watch them fly
There are good workplaces that recognise and work with the maturity of their new, young employees and s**t ones that don't. Different kids will thrive in different environments. We're lucky the Swans is a Fantastic work place - the Swans culture which is nationally and to a level internationally recognised, is testament to this.
I’m wondering now if the plethora of players coming from private schools is in some small part, due to the fact the clubs view them as better prepared to live away from home.

They still have to play of course, but it does make one think.

I’m wondering now if the plethora of players coming from private schools is in some small part, due to the fact the clubs view them as better prepared to live away from home.

probably know the right people

or the schools subsidise their enrollment

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most private school kids are still day boys. It's the already talented country boys who get scholarships who move from home. Then other parents move their kids to the private schools because of enhanced visibility for recruiters. Sadly, it's a positive feedback loop which robs local competitions of their talent and makes them less attractive for recruiters to scout. If you are borderline draftable, your chances are enhanced by being in the private school system. An interesting stat would be the success rate of lower picks comparing school systems. Still, probably too many variables.

These schools poach the best footy players with scholarships in the same way they poach the brightest students from the public system.

Perhaps a slight adjustment to the age requirements .... cut off Aug 31 rather than Dec 31. Eg your age at Aug 31...so 18 at Aug 31 is your eligible draft age,also, age guidelines for all levels should think about this as the eligibility rule. December 18 old v Jan 18 year olds can be a big gap socially as much as anything.

Interesting article from Jake Niall
"Kids from a private school - once considered "soft" - are now almost 4 times as likely to be drafted in @AFL as a state school kid.
A quarter of the past 2 drafts are from just 11 elite (APS) schools in Vic
"

A later comment by Jake in the thread
"Brighton Grammar defied numbers- only about half the Yr 12 enrolment of Scotch, Caulf GS, Haileybury, St Kevin's, Xavier - to win 3 flags. Must've had a good coach then!"

The private schools offer scholarships to high performing kids in public schools, both sporting and academic, improving their rankings and taking the credit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's good to see off field fighting at the usual suspect clubs, is still thriving at great levels.

Does this open the door for Beatson to Carlton after the earlier rumours we heard about such a move.
They already took Michael Agresta from us. Perhaps a move to pave way for Beatson.
I expect the Beatson to Carlton announcement to come in the coming week or 2 once SOS is officially out.

I think a happy medium might be 15 minutes. I do feel 20 mins is overkill
I'm sure if you were a player you'd feel differently. The half time break is as long as it is for a reason. It is the time fore the players to rest, get their breath back and prepare both physically and mentally for the second half. The pace of the game would see some players falling out of the game through exhaustion if the breaks were smaller. The best mids would be exhausted. The game would become scrappy due to mistakes.

Leave well enough alone. It's good the way it is. What's more it gives old blokes like me a chance to do ablutions. I mean the old waterworks don't work as well as they did when I was 60. 555 (LOL)

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm sure if you were a player you'd feel differently. The half time break is as long as it is for a reason. It is the time fore the players to rest, get their breath back and prepare both physically and mentally for the second half. The pace of the game would see some players falling out of the game through exhaustion if the breaks were smaller. The best mids would be exhausted. The game would become scrappy due to mistakes.

Leave well enough alone. It's good the way it is. What's more it gives old blokes like me a chance to do ablutions. I mean the old waterworks don't work as well as they did when I was 60. 555 (LOL)

Still think 15 is enough but I'm not really fussed either way, I use halftime to have a nap in my seat and/or check the other scores.

Still think 15 is enough but I'm not really fussed either way, I use halftime to have a nap in my seat and/or check the other scores.
Unlike you, who are probably young, I need a toilet break even if I just drink soft drink. Then I like to go through the stats. I need the 20 minutes just as much as the players. I can refresh and get ready for the second half.

Unlike you, who are probably young, I need a toilet break even if I just drink soft drink. Then I like to go through the stats. I need the 20 minutes just as much as the players. I can refresh and get ready for the second half.

I'll take the young part lol

Usually go to the toilet just before the break as it makes the queue less lol

Free public transport to the SCG on game day with membership. Cool!

Great change of subject, thanks Ticky.
As much as Im empathetic to old men and their toiletry requirements, I really don't want to read about it !

Free Public transport for everyone on game day

Great change of subject, thanks Ticky.
As much as Im empathetic to old men and their toiletry requirements, I really don't want to read about it !

Free Public transport for everyone on game day
If you hold a ticket to the game same deal applies as well. So not just members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back