Opinion Which players already on our list will debut in 2020?

Who will debut in 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Each year we welcome a bunch of new players to Collingwood, and they fill our hopes and dreams and expectations ...

... but which players do we already have on our list who are yet to debut, who now have year(s) in the system, and will have an impact on our 2020?

Players who fall into this category:

Will Kelly
Tyler Brown
Atu Bosenavulagi
Anton Tohill
Max Lynch (currently uncontracted for 2020)
Mark Keane
Tom Wilson

Under what circumstances would they debut? What position will they play? Who will they replace?

Poll above (multiple selections allowed)

Soups

Premium Platinum
Jul 16, 2006
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tyler Brown is the obvious choice for me. Was close to debuting this year. Another pre season under his belt gets him there.

Smoky is Keane. It’s no secret that I was a big fan of him this year. His improvement for a bloke that’s never played the game before is seriously impressive. He’s a big unit who loves the rough stuff. He’ll be our starting full back in a short time imo.

manicpie

Brownlow Medallist
Jul 19, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood
Each year we welcome a bunch of new players to Collingwood, and they fill our hopes and dreams and expectations ...

... but which players do we already have on our list who are yet to debut, who now have year(s) in the system, and will have an impact on our 2020?

Players who fall into this category:

Will Kelly
Tyler Brown
Atu Bosenavulagi
Anton Tohill
Max Lynch (currently uncontracted for 2020)
Mark Keane
Tom Wilson

Under what circumstances would they debut? What position will they play? Who will they replace?

Poll above (multiple selections allowed)
I can't see Lynch being promoted to the senior list, I think he's a delist

kallangur pie

Team Captain
Sep 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tyler Brown is the obvious choice for me. Was close to debuting this year. Another pre season under his belt gets him there.

Smoky is Keane. It’s no secret that I was a big fan of him this year. His improvement for a bloke that’s never played the game before is seriously impressive. He’s a big unit who loves the rough stuff. He’ll be our starting full back in a short time imo.
I like the fact Keane has a bit of mongrel in him,I think you must have a bit of go in you to flourish at the top level.

I think you are correct on Brown also,I think if we had not won our last 4 games in the HA season he would have played before the season was over.

Will Kelly - chances for a debut will increase if Elliott depart$, I liked his leading in his brief 2019 VFL appearances. With other options in the backline I hope we persist with him as a forward in 2020 where I believe he could play a handful of games alongside Mihocek and Cox.

Tyler Brown - should be aiming for at least 10-15 AFL games in 2020. One of the few players on our list who attacks the contest on the move and looks to engage / bounce of his direct opponent. Needs to find more footy, but the quicker we get him to 40-50 AFL games the better.

Atu Bosenavulagi - a smokey for a debut as a pressure forward, but at this stage there's a few ahead of him.

Anton Tohill - I'd move him into defence for 2020 where he can better learn the leading patterns required and hopefully become more involved throughout a game. Another development year in the VFL ahead.

Max Lynch (currently uncontracted for 2020) - looked good earlier in 2019, but faded when opportunities presented late. I hope we persist with Lynch and if so he's capable of debuting. The rumoured interest in Cameron especially if played as a ruck may push Lynch down the queue or even mark his papers.

Mark Keane - after just a few games I thought we had found an old school defender, however as the year progressed he looked like he could be much more. His attitude and aggression will hold him in good stead. Rightfully Madgen was preferred late, but there shouldn't have been much in it. There's a few ahead, but if he continues developing he'll put pressure on them.

Tom Wilson - difficult to judge and he could surprise with a decent preseason.

Last edited:
Looking forward to seeing ‘Mad Dog’ Keane debut in 2020.

Impatient to see Tyler Brown and Tom Wilson too.

TBH, I’m not sure about Wilson, his hair is a bit Hugh Grant, which doesn’t bode well.

Keane, on the other hand, looks like he cuts his own hair with a blunt butter knife while still asleep. In other words he couldn’t give a stuff, which bodes very well.

Tyler Brown will Debut Early in the Season even maybe RD1. Better then his Brother

Will Kelly in 2nd Half of the Season with hopefully staying Injury Free.

Tom Wilson could also debut 2nd Half of the Season after a Proper Pre-Season

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
For mine we need to inject 2 elements into our best 22. More pace and better defensive pressure/attack on opponents. Some of these kids and those that have had limited exposure over the last couple of seasons will help that process if they can come on in 2020.

Mar 16, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
For mine we need to inject 2 elements into our best 22. More pace and better defensive pressure/attack on opponents. Some of these kids and those that have had limited exposure over the last couple of seasons will help that process if they can come on in 2020.

For me, it’s a key forward more than anything. Everything else is ok, barring the usual 7 million injuries.

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
For me, it’s a key forward more than anything. Everything else is ok, barring the usual 7 million injuries.

... think we need to really work on our mids taking advantage of a back-to-back AA and Copeland winner too. Get Degoey fit and firing in the midfield please more often than not IMO and we'll pretty quickly see that taking advantage swing around. I dunno who to replace him up forward though? If Coxy was fitter around the grounds then Grundy could roam up forward more often. Just spit balling here guys ... please don't flame.

Horaceg

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 29, 2014
Sydney
AFL Club
Collingwood
Will Kelly is the one that we need to come on so I am hopeful he will get his chance early, the one I hold a lot of hope for is Tyler Brown and will be keen to see how he progresses over the preseason.

I know he has debuted but Murphy is the other that could come in and make us better.

Dec 13, 2012
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Exers
Looking forward to seeing ‘Mad Dog’ Keane debut in 2020.

Impatient to see Tyler Brown and Tom Wilson too.

TBH, I’m not sure about Wilson, his hair is a bit Hugh Grant, which doesn’t bode well.

Keane, on the other hand, looks like he cuts his own hair with a blunt butter knife while still asleep. In other words he couldn’t give a stuff, which bodes very well.
Agree that Tom Wilsons hair is a worry. Too Jack Watts for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Guy reeled off a list of our younger players

“We have a number of younger players we want to bring through over the next 12-18 months – Isaac Quaynor, Will Kelly, Mark Keane, Tom Wilson, Nathan Murphy and Tyler Brown, to name a few. Inevitably, that means changes must be made,” Collingwood list manager, Ned Guy, said.

Sea fog

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 24, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Tyler definitely will providing no injury setbacks. Kelly perhaps later in the year. Wilson still a bit speculative but a maybe. Reckon Keane is in with a shot too.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
we can now add the new draftees to the poll.

76woodenspooners

for me I’d suggest Tyler Brown will debut somewhere along the journey.

id see the mysterious Tom Wilson A’s also getting a gig, forward? He will be pretty good in time.

of the new blood, I see Rantall getting a game or two (think Quaynor level, those few games or so.)

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Our 3 Draft Picks we got I think can all make a Debut in 2020.

Bianco I reckon be the 1st and could Debut RD 1
Dave, I rekon your post offers fascinating questions.

of our 3 new boys, which of them debuts first?
And about when?

id think Rantall does about mid season.
maybe Bianco gets a gig somewhere maybe?

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Let’s hope not as that suggests we’ll have a long injury list

I’m not so sure. Mayne is nearing the end so if he’s struggling mid to late season and Rantall has runs on the board I’d be perfectly fine with him coming in. I also think we’re a bit thin in defensive smalls with no Greenwood and Aish gone. There’s a spot there for on of IQ, Appleby or Bianco and the other two haven’t exactly grasped it.

Back