Resource 2020 Draft Watch (picks 1, 9, 20, 30, 45, 50, 60, 74) - updated R17 15/9/20

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draft Bored

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Ricciardo, Red Sox
I don't get why people are so keen to walk Brad Crouch out the door befote he's even kicked a ball in a game yet in 2020.

Has he not said he wants to stay?

Can someone explain why he shouldn't be able to build on his 2019 season which was pretty bloody decent until he ran out of petrol tickets later in the season with a another hopefully uneventful full pre-season under his belt? He was clearly our best mid across season 2019 and I would expect with the extra fitness he should build over this pre-season I'd reasonably expect he'll get even better this season now his groin and feet issues are looking behind him.

I guess I just don't rate him as highlighly as I used to. It just feels to me like he'll decline from here and I'll looking to cash in.

Also this is very dependant on our finishing position. If we're getting a top 6 pick for him yes, if it's pick 15 no.

Tex200

Cancelled
10k Posts Podcaster
Dec 24, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Maybe we could draft this guy. Kicking isn’t that important is it?
5BDC5F8B-ECDE-416A-8CAA-CD61A4B36981.jpeg

Personally, I want to him stay. I'm also starting to find it irritating that posters are selling him off or expecting him to leave. Also agree that he still has upside

The club has a great draft hand already next year without trying to push him out the door

And on the other hand Pooort, for example, may need to off load Wines and/or SPP in the hope of taking just 1 first round pick to the draft ..

I'd rather he stays but it's situational to me. Crouch gets injured again, and I'm willing to cut my losses. Equally if he declines rapidly.

I guess I just don't rate him as highlighly as I used to. It just feels to me like he'll decline from here and I'll looking to cash in.

Also this is very dependant on our finishing position. If we're getting a top 6 pick for him yes, if it's pick 15 no.

Brad is only 26 next year, and another season fit should get more confidence in his body.

We should be around 4-5 years until Brad declines.

Jan 6, 2018
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood
I'd rather he stays but it's situational to me. Crouch gets injured again, and I'm willing to cut my losses. Equally if he declines rapidly.
His injuries have mostly been completely different though. The OP ultimately seemed to cruel him the most. Limited preseasons, injections prior to every game in 2017 and then ruining his entire 2018 season. I find hard to believe that will revisit after surgery and essentially playing an entire season pain free.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
What's interesting to me is to read in other threads how we desperately need midfielders, preferably ones with leg speed. It seems to be a never ending discussion point for some. But move on to discussing next year's draft and there's only one name that constantly comes up. Thilthorpe. Who's a ruckman. How does this make any sense. I get that he's an SA kid with big wraps on him at this stage, but how does he fit in this list build ?? He would take 3 to 4 years at least to be AFL ready, and likely a top end pick in the draft. I think too many people are too focused on any and all SA players.

His injuries have mostly been completely different though. The OP ultimately seemed to cruel him the most. Limited preseasons, injections prior to every game in 2017 and then ruining his entire 2018 season. I find hard to believe that will revisit after surgery and essentially playing an entire season pain free.

I get that, but if it happens again, it's getting evident that no matter what we do, Brouch will end up being injured. That said, I do genuinely believe we're past that and that Brad will stay healthy from here.

Eventually the frequency would just mean we're better cutting our losses, especially as it's likely to cost us 800 k to keep (Though, I doubt that's much of a payrise, all things considered).

Aug 9, 2019
Victorian Central Highlands
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Panthers, GWV Rebels, Central Augusta
Looking at Lore's 2020 draft points document you can see we're going to be in a dominant position next year.

Let's say ADL finish 14th, GWS finish 4th, WB finish 6th.

We'd potentially have:

Pick 5
Pick 6 (Brad Crouch compensation)
Pick 15 (GWS)

If this happened we'd be able to take a player at 5, a player at 6, and then try to upgrade pick 15 to try and get ahead of the jackson bid. This might be a real possibility on the night with a heap of teams probably having to trade out their first rounder while they're on the clock matching bids.

Eg. when WB are on the clock matching Ugle-Hagen we could trade for 13 with our arsenal of picks, then move 13 and 15 up into a pick 8 kind of range.

Thilthorpe, 6, 8, Jackson, Borlase.

We might actually get an A+ in VIC media. Probably not.
Jackson?

I'm anaware of any player with the surname Jackson in next year's draft that's shown outstanding potential and certainly none that highly rated anyhow? Have I missed someone?

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What's interesting to me is to read in other threads how we desperately need midfielders, preferably ones with leg speed. It seems to be a never ending discussion point for some. But move on to discussing next year's draft and there's only one name that constantly comes up. Thilthorpe. Who's a ruckman. How does this make any sense. I get that he's an SA kid with big wraps on him at this stage, but how does he fit in this list build ?? He would take 3 to 4 years at least to be AFL ready, and likely a top end pick in the draft. I think too many people are too focused on any and all SA players.
I think some people see Riley Thilthorpe more as a Forward/Ruck with his athletic profile, South Adelaide's Zac Dumensy looks one of the better midfield prospects for SA and Central Districts small forward/mid Cory Durdin looks pretty special.

70lethal

Club Legend
Oct 26, 2016
AFL Club
Adelaide
We could have the equivilant of 6000-7000 points next draft which is GC like.

Tilthorpe for/ruck
??? Goal kicking mid
Durdin small for/Mid
Edwards midfielder
Borlase utility
Newchurch

CrowCro

Club Legend
Mar 6, 2010
Underdale
AFL Club
Adelaide
Yeah and while lots of other bottom 8 clubs have already been playing their youth, we haven't.

We barely saw Fogarty last year. On top of that we have two defenders to play (Doedee, Worrell), a key forward (McAsey), plus four midfielders (Jones, McHenry, Gallucci and Schoenberg) and two half backs (Hamill and Sholl) who are all highly rated.

That's nine highly rated kids, of which eight are second round picks or better.

We'll get a really good look at where we stand after this season, but if even half those kids show their talent, we won't have a massive drop
Worrell will be the one playing forward not McAsey. He played forward for Vic Metro and reminds me of Jeremy Cameron with his running ability and style for a tall. Will be the replacement for Walker whom in my opinion is playing his last year. He’s now too slow and can’t chase. As for Galluci see him being delisted.... not poised and looks lost on the football field.

Drewie11

Premium Platinum
Oct 15, 2015
AFL Club
Adelaide
Loving that we are set up so well for this draft. Got to give Reid some credit.

We should get Edwards and Borlaise but would we be targeting Tilthorpe with our firsts?

LC40

Club Legend
Oct 14, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide

Thilthorpe isn't a pure ruckman.
What he is, is a really talented tall who already has tremendous balance and is a great mark.
He'll get a whole year in the league at West Adelaide (apart from state duties) to develop his game. Sure he's a raw and needs to bulk up but he isn't going to take 3-4 years to become an AFL footballer.
He reads the ball really well, kicks both feet and will create matchup problem at 199cms.
He could play as a strong marking centre half forward, a roaming ruck or a second tall in the forward lines. I just like the way he attacks the ball at speed and with the intent to make it his, something Himmelberg desperately needs to improve on.
Sure we need mids but some players look a little bit special and don't come along every year.
I know it's an early call and we'll have a whole season to see him perform but right now I wouldn't hesitate to take Riley with our first pick if he was available.
Let's hope the club trades well enough to put us in a position with high draft picks to select a variety of positions we need.

birdflu

Senior List
Jul 2, 2016
montreal, quebec, canada
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Orioles, Ravens, CBJ, NYK
Is Thilthorpe the one who comes from some sort of ice hockey background (maybe his dad played or something)? If so I really hope he lands at the AFC.

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Some good news for 2020...

Seems highly promising GWV Rebels/East Point FC/Geelong Grammar footballer Nick Stevens who most thought was tied to the Western Bulldogs through their Academy is now eligible for all clubs in the 2020 National Draft. I would think of the already known prospects on the radar at the GWV Rebels he's clearly the best standing 191cm and 86kg already he looks an outstanding prospect, in his under age year 2019 he's only played the 6 NAB League games whilst juggling it with his Geelong Grammar footy commitments. He's mostly played across half back or half forward pushing up to the wing for the Rebels and played down back in the recent U17's All Stars game on AFL Grand Final day but I feel he'll likely move into the midfield in his top age year.

A couple of other Rebels boys to monitor for next year will be Harry Sharp and Jack Tillig and more than likely Isaac Wareham who went undrafted this year but with a very late December birthday I'm expecting he'll be back as an "over ager" to build on his impressive 2019 output.

Jul 9, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
Some good news for 2020...

Seems highly promising GWV Rebels/East Point FC/Geelong Grammar footballer Nick Stevens who most thought was tied to the Western Bulldogs through their Academy is now eligible for all clubs in the 2020 National Draft. I would think of the already known prospects on the radar at the GWV Rebels he's clearly the best standing 191cm and 86kg already he looks an outstanding prospect, in his under age year 2019 he's only played the 6 NAB League games whilst juggling it with his Geelong Grammar footy commitments. He's mostly played across half back or half forward pushing up to the wing for the Rebels and played down back in the recent U17's All Stars game on AFL Grand Final day but I feel he'll likely move into the midfield in his top age year.

A couple of other Rebels boys to monitor for next year will be Harry Sharp and Jack Tillig and more than likely Isaac Wareham who went undrafted this year but with a very late December birthday I'm expecting he'll be back as an "over ager" to build on his impressive 2019 output.
What changed with the academy affiliation ??

Aug 9, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
What changed with the academy affiliation ??
Don't know exactly, only going on what a Doggies supporter that's usually in the know said, kid's a serious talent so I'm hoping it's correct, there was always conjecture about his eligibility so I'm thinking it's likely right.

Mr Alldayeveryday

Senior List
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Probably these 5 would head up my list at this point, most would think that's a bit high for Macrae and Bruhn especially but I really rate them, Bruhn just needs to be injury free and fit and then I think he will elevate up the rankings.

Jamarra Ugle-Hagan - Athletic Key Forward - Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Country [W. Bulldogs]
Will Phillips - Inside mid - Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Alex Davies - Balanced Mid - Manunda Hawks/Cairns - Allies [Gold Coast Suns]
Elijah Hollands - Mid/forward - Murray Bushrangers/Vic Country
Finlay Macrae - Inside/outside mid - Oakleigh Chargers/Vic Metro
Tanner Bruhn - Balanced Mid - Geelong Falcons/Vic Country

JUH has terrible skills even for his age they are bad. 12 months can change that though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back