AFL Player #24: Nick Bryan

Remove this Banner Ad

(Log in to remove this ad.)

20 disposals, 26 hitouts and 4 marks in the NAB grandfinal

Please keep that coming

I watched that game. Bryan is the goods imo. Also saw him on the G against Casey early in the year. Played well there too.

Probably his 2 best games of the year but that's a really good sign that his best games were in the biggest games. A thinking ruckman, good ruckman height and really athletic. He participates in the game like a modern ruck. Had him in my Top 25 pre draft.

Reckon you'll be happy with him in 3 years time.

A 2.91-second 20-metre sprint is pretty impressive for a ruckman. Still annoyed at not getting mids, but hopefully this guy turns out to be a gun.

Please to read "A developing ruck who has terrific athleticism and a high ceiling".

Surprised that we've taken another ruckman. I think we're tipping a cap to the reality that Hurley, Hooker and Bellchambers are all something much closer to cooked than not.
It takes 3-4 years for the bigger guys to develop so I’m pretty happy we went with a couple of talls where we did.

oh good, I look forward to Hawthorn or Norf poaching him from us just before he hits his prime

Well that is always the big risk with drafting 18 year old rucks. However in our case its not like we have any established rucks that are certainties to be ahead of him in 3, 4, 5 years time. Bellchambers will be gone and Phillips probably too. A lot can change in that time period - who knows maybe Draper will emerge as a star but I think its a pretty reasonable choice all things considered.

The upside for hitting a ruck pick that ends up staying at your club is enormous. It sounds like he's a much more modern type of ruck, more mobile and good around the ground with that genuine ruck size at 202cm.

I don't think it is

Dodoro already said looking to create a combination of Draper and Bryan in the same side

eth-dog what's Drapers deep forward ability like?
About as good as James Stewart in the ruck.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bryan dominated my mate when he played him in the Ruck. My mates a year older than Bryan. Said he’s a beast. He was playing thirds for st Kevs in year 9 so he’s improved a lot. Needs to work on his strength though.

Last edited:
Bryan dominated my mate when he played him in the Ruck. My mates a year older than Bryan. Said he’s a beast. He was playing thirds for st Kevs in year 9 so he’s improved a lot. Needs to work on his strength though.
Sounds like he's started

Improved his vertical leaps a heap in one year

From 55cm to 69cm acc to draft central

I was critical of not getting an inside mid but also wasn’t super excited about bowman as a rookie prospect.

Looking at Bryan’s highlights I’m genuinely excited for him to be our developing ruckman. Give him 2-3 years and I see him being a very good player for us that could rival English and max Gawn.

Well that is always the big risk with drafting 18 year old rucks. However in our case its not like we have any established rucks that are certainties to be ahead of him in 3, 4, 5 years time. Bellchambers will be gone and Phillips probably too. A lot can change in that time period - who knows maybe Draper will emerge as a star but I think its a pretty reasonable choice all things considered.

The upside for hitting a ruck pick that ends up staying at your club is enormous. It sounds like he's a much more modern type of ruck, more mobile and good around the ground with that genuine ruck size at 202cm.
He sounds a lot like Rhys Stanley. Hope he's a hell of a lot better than him

How do you think they combine in that one side? It won't be 50/50 bench and ruck. Both would need the capacity to play forward or back.

I think at least one needs the capacity to play FWD

I have no idea of each players aerobic ability

But Nic Nat and Ivan Soldo recently have had success just playing ~55% Game time

But if both are to play reasonable game time say 70% each then they'd be on the field together for 40% of the same time with Bryan probably the deep FWD

As much as we need genuine midfielders we also needed to look into the distance and draft a ruck and it may as well be a half decent one with tools to work with. Lets face it our great hope for the future has not played a game yet and is coming off an ACL.

Considering the way of our ruck depth and our luck with getting in "mature" rucks of the last 5 years, I like the idea of developing a ruckman for depth purposes. Also Draper is far from a sure thing.

His development next year will be interesting. Could he play as a CHB to start the year? Tall, quick and underdeveloped physically, I'd be nervous with him going head to head with someone like Goodwin or Paul Hunter.

His development next year will be interesting. Could he play as a CHB to start the year? Tall, quick and underdeveloped physically, I'd be nervous with him going head to head with someone like Goodwin or Paul Hunter.
A mixture of ruck with time forward/back. Probably good to try and rig the matchups in his first year, and put him against the less physically mature bodies. Then build up the challenges so that he can improve. Followed by even longer stints in the gym.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back