Player Watch Sam Murray - (Delisted 2019)

Jun 10, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or they are grappling with how to treat party drugs that are banned on match day, but are still in the system because they were taken a few days before match day. It's an area that has copped a lot of criticism and they're currently reviewing.

Understand they are reviewing but as far as Murray goes, the idea of what should be on the Prohibited List isn’t at issue. The Tribunal could only decide on the matter at hand as the Code stands. Might have affected ASADA’s decision not to appeal, but my guess is 18 months against a supposed initial offer of 2 years for a small fish was good enough.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
My take is we cut him for a combination of two reasons.

a) we don't think he'll be very good
b) a message for the team regarding lifestyle

He's likely enough to keep if he's a cleanskin, but he's not likely enough to keep if it sends a bad message to the group about irresponsible decisions being acceptable.

I very much doubt a).
We wouldn’t have been prepared to give up a prized draft pick and then get rid of a kid who played only 13 games and was a rising draft nominee. Not to mention he was one of our dining lights in the first few rounds in his first year at the club. No way they would have cut him on his performance.

b) is plausible.

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Or they are grappling with how to treat party drugs that are banned on match day, but are still in the system because they were taken a few days before match day. It's an area that has copped a lot of criticism and they're currently reviewing.
Isn’t this about to change to a 3 month penalty?

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s not that hard to deduce what’s happened imo.
He was caught with coke in his system on game day and instead of coming clean with the club he’s maintained for 18 months that it was ‘inadvertent contact’.
He stayed away from the club during his ban but instead of keeping a low profile he decided to be a wannabe gangsta on social media.
He was meant to be training with Wangaratta football club, but rumours floating around are they barely saw him at the club at all.
Also rumours that he was on the nose beers up country during his ban.
Reports coming out that interest from clubs has cooled.

Putting the pieces together, he got banned, went up country and acted like an idiot thinking he was out of the spotlight, the club found out what he’d been doing (they always do) during his time away and cut him. Other clubs have started to dig and have found out the same stuff and their interest has disappeared. The guy is a grade a idiot and doesn’t deserve to get another shot. He hasn’t learned his lesson.

What a wasted opportunity. If he had half a brain he could have turned out to be a very handy AFL footballer.

May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
It’s not that hard to deduce what’s happened imo.
He was caught with coke in his system on game day and instead of coming clean with the club he’s maintained for 18 months that it was ‘inadvertent contact’.
He stayed away from the club during his ban but instead of keeping a low profile he decided to be a wannabe gangsta on social media.
He was meant to be training with Wangaratta football club, but rumours floating around are they barely saw him at the club at all.
Also rumours that he was on the nose beers up country during his ban.
Reports coming out that interest from clubs has cooled.

Putting the pieces together, he got banned, went up country and acted like an idiot thinking he was out of the spotlight, the club found out what he’d been doing (they always do) during his time away and cut him. Other clubs have started to dig and have found out the same stuff and their interest has disappeared. The guy is a grade a idiot and doesn’t deserve to get another shot. He hasn’t learned his lesson.

This is exactly right. He failed to take responsibility for his actions and he failed to behave properly or show any remorse during his ban.

Completely the opposite of Thomas and Keeffe who accepted responsibility for their actions and behaved like decent regular people during their time out of football.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
One doesn’t just accidentally run into cocaine, so there must be a reason for the “inadvertent contact”. Despite these articles Murray is yet to detail publicly how that contact occurred, which leaves room for questions. For example was he hanging out with users or dickheads?

Completely innocuous. Fell asleep at a desk while visiting his uncle, Tony Montana.

CFC2010

Cancelled
10k Posts Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Collingwood Magpies - James Aish Player Sponsor 2016
Aug 22, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Close thread please......equivalent to those callers selling you solar panels.

Hine got this one wrong.......s**t happens.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Close thread please......equivalent to those callers selling you solar panels.

Hine got this one wrong.......s happens.
In retrospect we’d never have gone with it all.

a pity.

has talent, has speed, has wasted talent but at least kept the speed.

regpies

Premiership Player
Sep 19, 2011
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’ll play footy somewhere in 2020...may reappear on an AFL list some day (mid season draft?)

I’d think mid season draft is his only chance.

He is still banned isn’t he? Any club taking him wouldn’t be happy about having to wait on him.

By the time mid season draft comes around they’ll be able to see if his attitude has changed and has any form.

Whoever is his manager is a peanut, someone should be telling him posting pics like this doesn’t help him be drafted. To any club it would suggest he is still a party boy. How high do you need to be to dress like that?

1C43F740-3FA3-420B-B2E6-7296F12F5C50.jpeg

Last edited:

noideaatall

Premiership Player
May 14, 2011
home, sth of hobart
AFL Club
Collingwood
Christ, I wish that would happen to me....
Me too, kinda. The issue is you have to attend parties with table's full of coke. Then stand downwind and hope somebody opens the window.
There are other ways. For example, go to a coke party, ask attendees for their large notes and lick the hell out of them.
Dedicated stuff. I recommend just fork out the dollars and buy yourself a few lines. Don't ask me for a dealer to contact though, I hang our with people who have no teeth, eat cold meat pies and struggle to get the dollars together for the next slab.

I’d think mid season draft is his only chance.

He is still banned isn’t he? Any club taking him wouldn’t be happy about having to wait on him.

By the time mid season draft comes around they’ll be able to see if his attitude has changed and has any form.

Whoever is his manager is a peanut, someone should be telling him posting pics like this doesn’t help him be drafted. To any club it would suggest he is still a party boy. How high do you need to be to dress like that?

View attachment 787101
He’s only banned from training with a club for like 2 more weeks, so that shouldn’t really have been a factor. The party boy thing is more the factor, and the driving reason imo, that clubs are off him. It seems pretty clear he hasn’t learned his lesson. Interested to know the time stamp on that pic. If it’s within the last month he’s even more astonishingly stupid than I thought he was.

Pragmatic Shill

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 2, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
He’s only banned from training with a club for like 2 more weeks, so that shouldn’t really have been a factor. The party boy thing is more the factor, and the driving reason imo, that clubs are off him. It seems pretty clear he hasn’t learned his lesson. Interested to know the time stamp on that pic. If it’s within the last month he’s even more astonishingly stupid than I thought he was.
Posted on Insta on 22 August.

Posted on Insta on 22 August.
So not stupid enough that he’s posting during his campaign to be listed, but stupid enough to post it at the end of the season a month before the trade/draft period starts. Sounds about right.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Can I clarify what the issue is with that pic? I mean the caption should simply be “couple of millennials at a festival”. I’ve never bought into the social media commentary on his behaviour post getting caught.

The only observation I’d make is that he’s been in contact with Zoozgroup about brand management as soon as he was dumped by us.

Can I clarify what the issue is with that pic? I mean the caption should simply be “couple of millennials at a festival”. I’ve never bought into the social media commentary on his behaviour post getting caught.

The only observation I’d make is that he’s been in contact with Zoozgroup about brand management as soon as he was dumped by us.

You've gotta hope that footy clubs aren't drafting blokes based on fashion sense.

Phil Inn

Cancelled
Aug 20, 2019
AFL Club
Collingwood

Im expecting his next gig to be organising the "Fyre Festival Downunder" followed by a short stint in prison followed by a lucrative speaking tour promoting his new book on his journey of redemption called "Inadvertant Ingestion". Followed by 2021.

Back