• Jack Watts

Votes: 28 16.7%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
One of these guys actually worked in the AFL and knows what traits will translate into the modern game...and one did not. I’ll read Chris’ stuff out of interest but I’d pay more attention to Buckenara’s assessment.
It was Williams and Bergman you wanted us to pick up wasn't it? Interested to hear what they bring in that you wanted us to pick up. Williams looks the best prospect of the lot for me early on.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Far far to early to tell, getting the 2 extra second round picks for next years draft is also a bit of a bonus.

Its really good to hear from people like Sheean that Bergman and Williams are both top 10 picks if the draft is done last year.

Chachi

Premiership Player
Jan 10, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Fu** No
Howard for Williams + future 2nd + future 3rd is an excellent trade.
If that is right that makes it an terrific trade.
I'm genuinely not sure who excites me the most because I think all 4 lads offer something special. If I had to pick one it's Williams though. He's got match winner written all over him.

MrChow

Club Legend
Jun 24, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Happy with draft. Can’t fill every hole, every draft.

with Clurey, Watts, Westhoff, Jonas, Lienert, Grundy and Pasini as key defenders - it’s ok for the moment, we are covered

our defence was pretty good last year, Watts will help the attacking side of our defence with his kicking ability.

Next year - Can totally see Wines dominating, BigFooty to get around him, then ask for trade to Carlton - swapped for 2020, 2021 first round picks.

Then BigFooty melts, again.

Revan11

Club Legend
Aug 7, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I rated him at 7. And we needed him

Worrell comes across as an absolute dope. I don’t get a good vibe from him either.

Far far to early to tell, getting the 2 extra second round picks for next years draft is also a bit of a bonus.

Its really good to hear from people like Sheean that Bergman and Williams are both top 10 picks if the draft is done last year.

I think it was Williams and Georgiades that Sheehan said would’ve gone top 10 on last years form.

So are we sacking Boring Basset and Humdrum Hinkley? You know they will try and coach the excitement out of these new guys. Kevin Sheehan thinks we have been transformed in 2 drafts.

How Port Adelaide has transformed from uninspiring to flamboyant in two AFL drafts
AFL talent expert Kevin Sheehan has hailed Port Adelaide’s 2019 draft class as the team’s transformation from uninspiring to flamboyant continues.A year after a slow-paced, predictable Power squad lacking flair added first-round gems Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma, Sheehan says the club – which has played finals just once in the past five years – landed another exciting group with X-factor that, in time, should see it rocket up the ladder.

“This is an exciting group, I’d be very happy if I was Port Adelaide,’’ Sheehan told The Advertiser. “With what the club did last year, it’s compiled a lot of elite talent very quickly, a core of young players who can turn games.’’

The Power – desperate to add more class, athleticism and pure footballers to its line-up – had four selections between 14 and 25 after grabbing father-son product Jackson Mead at 25, when it matched a bid from Sydney. Sheehan said two of its first three picks could have been top-10 selections had injuries not derailed their 2019 seasons. Port took Sandringham Dragons midfielder Miles Bergman at 14, Subiaco forward Mitch Georgiadis – widely considered a bit of a smoky selection – at 18 and Oakleigh Chargers forward/midfielder Dylan Williams at 23 Bergman was always projected to go in the middle of the first round, but Sheehan said Georgiadis and Williams were draft steals after last year being in the conversation for the top 10.

“Injuries pushed them back, but their talent hasn’t gone away,’’ Sheehan said. “This time last year – before injuries struck – they probably would have been top 10. “But the medical reports on them are good, there is no risk there, so all they’ve done is miss a fair bit of their 18th year - Georgiadis the whole of it, Williams half of it. “They are medically sound now, so Port has got them at bargain prices, that’s the way I read it.’’ ............
“The goals Williams kicked in (under-18) finals last year, he looked an absolute star,’’ Sheehan said. “It all went pear-shaped with stress fractures of the back, moving to a hip problem, to a hamstring issue and leading to him being tucked away.

1575178623899.png

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So are we sacking Boring Basset and Humdrum Hinkley? You know they will try and coach the excitement out of these new guys. Kevin Sheehan thinks we have been transformed in 2 drafts.

How Port Adelaide has transformed from uninspiring to flamboyant in two AFL drafts
AFL talent expert Kevin Sheehan has hailed Port Adelaide’s 2019 draft class as the team’s transformation from uninspiring to flamboyant continues.A year after a slow-paced, predictable Power squad lacking flair added first-round gems Connor Rozee, Zak Butters and Xavier Duursma, Sheehan says the club – which has played finals just once in the past five years – landed another exciting group with X-factor that, in time, should see it rocket up the ladder.

“This is an exciting group, I’d be very happy if I was Port Adelaide,’’ Sheehan told The Advertiser. “With what the club did last year, it’s compiled a lot of elite talent very quickly, a core of young players who can turn games.’’

The Power – desperate to add more class, athleticism and pure footballers to its line-up – had four selections between 14 and 25 after grabbing father-son product Jackson Mead at 25, when it matched a bid from Sydney. Sheehan said two of its first three picks could have been top-10 selections had injuries not derailed their 2019 seasons. Port took Sandringham Dragons midfielder Miles Bergman at 14, Subiaco forward Mitch Georgiadis – widely considered a bit of a smoky selection – at 18 and Oakleigh Chargers forward/midfielder Dylan Williams at 23 Bergman was always projected to go in the middle of the first round, but Sheehan said Georgiadis and Williams were draft steals after last year being in the conversation for the top 10.

“Injuries pushed them back, but their talent hasn’t gone away,’’ Sheehan said. “This time last year – before injuries struck – they probably would have been top 10. “But the medical reports on them are good, there is no risk there, so all they’ve done is miss a fair bit of their 18th year - Georgiadis the whole of it, Williams half of it. “They are medically sound now, so Port has got them at bargain prices, that’s the way I read it.’’ ............
“The goals Williams kicked in (under-18) finals last year, he looked an absolute star,’’ Sheehan said. “It all went pear-shaped with stress fractures of the back, moving to a hip problem, to a hamstring issue and leading to him being tucked away.

View attachment 787560
Do you think they will? Hinkley let Rozee, Duursma and Butters play their natural game amongst the gameplan whatever it is, surely if you play them you just let them go out and play their natural game.

What do you think of our list now mate? We aren't contending for a flag the next couple of years and I feel we have to get as many games into these kids as possible to fast track them. I'm happy with the youth we have now just have to develop it.

Do you think they will? Hinkley let Rozee, Duursma and Butters play their natural game amongst the gameplan whatever it is, surely if you play them you just let them go out and play their natural game.

What do you think of our list now mate? We aren't contending for a flag the next couple of years and I feel we have to get as many games into these kids as possible to fast track them. I'm happy with the youth we have now just have to develop it.
How many goals did we kick last year compared to a few years ago? Butters backed off a bit the way he hit the ball and collected someone when Hinkley said he has to watch himself. Duursma was curtailed a little when they dropped him when he was in form. Mixed messages.

No I don't think they will stop them completely but we are boring at times, because of our kick it to bloody s**t house mentality for too many of our forward 50 entries.

We still have too many holes in our list at the moment that when we rack up 4 or 5 injuries we struggle bi time, and KPFs and KPDs in particular. These kids might look exciting on paper, but they still haven't got a kick, handball, mark or goal for us yet. Give them time to see how good they really are against experienced men not other kids.

40 times bitten, 4,000 times shy. Butcher looked good, went nowhere. Wingard looked good - we lost him. Wines hasn't really progressed kicking and skills wise since 2014. Marshall, Drew and Atley, 3 years in the system have shown a bit but produced very little in 3 seasons for various reason.

At end of 2021 there will probably be no Boak, Westhoff, Gray, Ebert, Hartlett, Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, Dixon, Jonas and Mckenzie all 100+ game players gone.

This year we moved on Ryder, Broadbent, Trengove and S Gray who have played 100+ or nearly 100 games.

Wines, Sutcliffe and Mayes are the other 100 gamers on the list. Mayes and Sutcliffe may not be there at end of 2021.

That is a s**t load of experience we have to replace so how many games will get into the kids of the 2016-19 drafts in the lead up to the end of 2021??? Lycett, DBJ, Houston, Burton, Amon, Clurey and SPP will be the 100 gamers or near 100 games to go with Wines.

We can't play them all. Not sure I trust our coaching group to go get it right.

The proof will be when we lose. Do we say we played well only just lost, so make no changes, or will we be more ruthless and say 4 players didn't contribute, they got beaten, we are dropping 2 or 3 of them?

View attachment 787560

Players who were in the 2018 forward line. Bold indicates traded/delisted:

Charlie Dixon
Sam Gray
Travis Boak (moved to midfield)
Jack Watts (moved to defence)
Chad Wingard
Jake Neade

Justin Westhoff (moved to defence)
Todd Marshall
Robbie Gray
Dom Barry
Aidyn Johnson

Kane Farrell

Players who will be in the 2020 forward line. Bold indicates drafted in the past two years:

Charlie Dixon
Miles Bergman
Connor Rozee
Mitchell Georgiades
Dylan Williams
Zak Butters

Pete Ladhams
Todd Marshall
Robbie Gray
Jackson Mead
Kane Farrell
Trent Burgoyne

I'm taking group two over group one every single time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

PJ Power

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 13, 2003
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

View attachment 787560

Looking at Burgoyne there and realising how small he is, I wonder whether he can be developed into a crumbing, small forward early in his career, rather than the line breaking wingman featured in his highlight package. That's how both his dad and uncle started off, and they were bloody good at it in their early days. I remember a game at Aami, where the Burgoyne brothers combined for about 11 goals between them.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
I'm pretty happy with this draft. We have stopped with our fixation for half back flankers and taken players with a bit of size and kicking ability. Ia am excited to top it off with more talent next year considering we worked a few more first round picks for next year and have Taj as a father son selection. I hear he plays for Henley and WW Torrens next year. Good luck to him.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
How many goals did we kick last year compared to a few years ago? Butters backed off a bit the way he hit the ball and collected someone when Hinkley said he has to watch himself. Duursma was curtailed a little when they dropped him when he was in form. Mixed messages.

No I don't think they will stop them completely but we are boring at times, because of our kick it to bloody s**t house mentality for too many of our forward 50 entries.

We still have too many holes in our list at the moment that when we rack up 4 or 5 injuries we struggle bi time, and KPFs and KPDs in particular. These kids might look exciting on paper, but they still haven't got a kick, handball, mark or goal for us yet. Give them time to see how good they really are against experienced men not other kids.

40 times bitten, 4,000 times shy. Butcher looked good, went nowhere. Wingard looked good - we lost him. Wines hasn't really progressed kicking and skills wise since 2014. Marshall, Drew and Atley, 3 years in the system have shown a bit but produced very little in 3 seasons for various reason.

At end of 2021 there will probably be no Boak, Westhoff, Gray, Ebert, Hartlett, Watts, Rockliff, Motlop, Dixon, Jonas and Mckenzie all 100+ game players gone.

This year we moved on Ryder, Broadbent, Trengove and S Gray who have played 100+ or nearly 100 games.

Wines, Sutcliffe and Mayes are the other 100 gamers on the list. Mayes and Sutcliffe may not be there at end of 2021.

That is a s**t load of experience we have to replace so how many games will get into the kids of the 2016-19 drafts in the lead up to the end of 2021??? Lycett, DBJ, Houston, Burton, Amon, Clurey and SPP will be the 100 gamers or near 100 games to go with Wines.

We can't play them all. Not sure I trust our coaching group to go get it right.

The proof will be when we lose. Do we say we played well only just lost, so make no changes, or will we be more ruthless and say 4 players didn't contribute, they got beaten, we are dropping 2 or 3 of them?
All very good points.

On paper our under say 24 list is extremely talented, and is where our next lot of success lies obviously. The crop not including the new draftees showed plenty in the SANFL last year to make a GF which is a positive, now they have to translate that to the AFL level.

I feel this is the last year of Hinkley next season. We won't make the 8, I'm expecting between 10th-14th as father time catches up with Westhoff, Robbie Gray and a couple of others. If the club is going to act it will be the end of next season, or if we start say 2-9. After Hinkley goes I think whoever gets the job will have a list of young players to develop and work with, and they'll be well placed to right the wrongs since post 2014 with a fresh outlook and fresh list.

I only rate Schofield and Montgomery as coaches of our current coaches. Parker I think I have the name right, probably don't coming as a development coach I believe is a good sign and a good appointment. Happy to be corrected if I've got that wrong.

Near enough isn't good enough, and hopefully the club takes that attitude in regards to selections next year, but as you say I'm pessimistic if Hinkley would do that.

Power freak 2008

Premiers 2004, 2020 Covid Premiers
Nov 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Dallas Cowboys/New York Yankees
I want to have a reason to watch the footy next year. I am hoping to see a fit Dixon help our clearly undersized forward line that got bullied by backlines lines year. Todd Marshall was hard to watch here in Melbourne. His direct opponent was a full second quicker to react when the ball was coming into the forward line. He was also slow to pick up the flight of the ball which was why he was outmarked so many times. Didn't know how to run to demand the ball. So many times Dixon would run and not have his lead honored. It at least took his defender out of the area and made it easier for the other defenders. Marshal was ok when the ball hit the ground but needs to practice contested marking.

I want to see a fit Watts so that we have good users of the ball out of the backline. It was obvious how we missed him. His influence and having improvements in Karl Amon made us look a lot more skillful for a couple of games. We took out Houston from the back-line to find a reliable kick. Good users are hard to come by. Also Robbie Gray began the year injured and had one of his worst years by recollection. Let's hope he can produce some magic as we missed his influence last year. I hope to see Farrel step up and gather more of the footy. Some positives steps were made last year.

With that improvement this gives a chance for Bergman or Williams to come in and make a name for themselves. I like Williams because if he is an outside runner, our contested players such as Rockliff and Powell Pepper should be instructed to get it into the hands of Duursma, Amon or one of the new kids. Duuursma kicks with penetration and Williams is supposed to as well. A lot to look forward to here guys. We are starting to look a little bit quicker

Looking at Burgoyne there and realising how small he is, I wonder whether he can be developed into a crumbing, small forward early in his career, rather than the line breaking wingman featured in his highlight package. That's how both his dad and uncle started off, and they were bloody good at it in their early days. I remember a game at Aami, where the Burgoyne brothers combined for about 11 goals between them.

This might answer your Xmas wish PJ

Port Adelaide’s medical staff kept a close eye on Burgoyne’s injury progress throughout the season and the midfielder said he was ready get into training.
“I’ve fixed my hamstrings up and they’re okay,” he said.
“I’ll be alright to train.”
The Woodville-West Torrens product showed flashes of his potential during his bottom age Under-18 season and he said his speed is his most dangerous attribute.
“I’m a run and carry type of player so I use my speed quite a bit,” he said.
I can play forward as well, kick some goals as a small forward.
“I like to have a bit of impact around the midfield as well.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/n...ne-excited-to-join-power-after-difficult-year

Back