Training 2020 Pre-Season

Remove this Banner Ad

My only comment on the matter is: as far as I’m concerned, it was a three way fight. But it was a fight that had been building for some time.
All three posters should have got the same penalty.
At least two of them got two weeks, I thought VDS got the same deal.
Apparently not.
Possibly similar to a Baker sitch. VDS might've had previous indiscretions count against him.

Much awesomeness, thanks Stew. 👍

I have to say, I'm starting to get pretty excited by the idea of what Paddy Ryder will bring to the table, and am stoked to hear that he's got a point to prove and has shed 7kgs.

We only have two on our list who have made an AA team, and he's one of them, and he made his even more recently than Hanners did, just two years ago.

So unless he's got some issues with his body that I'm not aware of, I don't see why he won't be able to get back close to, or even at his best, especially if he was playing too heavy of late.

He's "only" 31yo going on 32, not say 33 going on 34- where it would be much less likely that he'd return to near his best.

There are plenty who are still playing terrific footy at 32yo these days and we've had a bunch of them in recent times just ourselves, in Banger, Lenny, Milne, Rooey, Joey, Dempster, Chips, and maybe others, so it's far from out of the question that he could have a really good year or two.

If that means Roma spends more time forward for that time than he otherwise would, that's fine with me, as I was perfectly happy with what he was doing up there at the end of the 2018 season (when he got a good run at it there, playing 6 of our last 7 games) and it's hard to imagine he wouldn't be better there now, given he'd be so much fitter, stronger, more confident, experienced, etc.

He and Paddy could be a pretty killer combo and our midfield won't know themselves roving to Ryder's tapwork. We saw how dramatically our clearance numbers improved once Longer took over the ruck for the last 3/4 of the 2017 season and we were no longer losing the ruck battles every week, and Ryder is streets ahead of Billy when it comes to actually directing his taps to someone.
Just to add a bit further to what I said about how I'd be fine with seeing Roma playing more forward, if Ryder is going really well in the ruck, in 5 of those 6 games that Roma played forward/ruck in the last 7 rounds of 2018, here were his averages (with Josh Bruce's averages this year in brackets):

Disposals: 15.8 (11.8)
Marks: 7.4 (4.4)
Contested marks: 2 (2)
Goals: 1 (1.6)
Tackles: 1.9 (1.8)
Hitouts: 13.4 (1.5)

So well ahead of Bruce for disposals and marks, and almost 10 times more hitouts, with Bruce ahead in only goals, by 0.6 per game.

Given the fact Ro has improved out of sight overall since then, and will hopefully have another full preseason under his belt by next season, it certainly will be interesting to see how that translates to his forward play.

Thankfully his kicking for goal has already improved dramatically. Kicked 6.13 in 2018, 8.2 this year.

Last edited:

Man seems like ages away. Surely you'd kick it off now before the big bash starts and have night games.
The AFL are morons is the basic reason really. Could easily be a 16 game season leading into the mens but the AFL have really done * all to properly commit to AFLW in real meaningful ways. Hopefully it just takes time.

feb 9 the SAINTS women play Bulldogs at Moorabbin.......then in the next 8 games theres four more at Moorabbin...which is a fantastic thing as far as being able to see footy action played there ...........that is going to be something special initself...game day rolling into the old ground again...i just wish we could have a few games there for the mens one year in the future ...but i guess there would be a lot more infrastructure required.

As Pre Season for both the SAINTS Men and Women gets underway i can't help but feel that in the Women's competition, as opposed to the Men's, there is a sense of unbridled joy in watching it unfold. They seem so less cluttered by History and all the 'slings and arrows' that accompany the Men's. Its all before them to carve out a comprehensively different story. They are unencumbered by the past and that to me is immensely appealing. Its so fresh and alive with possibility. I know that in reality every year should feel like that for each year of each generation.....and it does...to a degree but a much lesser extent.
When i see the passions and bitterness that boil over on the pages of this forum i realise just how entrenched the frustrations of the men's ongoing struggle are and how manifest they sit, brooding under our veils of self control, boiling away under our skins.

The AFL are morons is the basic reason really. Could easily be a 16 game season leading into the mens but the AFL have really done fu** all to properly commit to AFLW in real meaningful ways. Hopefully it just takes time.

16 games would be a long time for the women. They’re basically amateurs.

Possibly similar to a Baker sitch. VDS might've had previous indiscretions count against him.

I have been in contact with him on PM. He said he asked to be blocked before he was banned even. I had my battles with him online but he seems a pretty good guy off forum. He changed jobs and seems to be putting more time into that. I reckon he probably realised he stepped over a line and was smart enough to step away.

The poster he was fighting with is a pretty toxic entity on here but VDS should have realised that he was being baited and not engaged. I can relate to getting overly emotional and making a dickhead of myself so I don't judge though. VDS could infuriate me because we hardly ever saw eye to eye on football stuff and he had a way of winding me up but it's a bit quiet without him.

Love him or hate him he loved the club and was a guy who believed in the club's direction. Without him I look more unreasonable too.

My only comment on the matter is: as far as I’m concerned, it was a three way fight. But it was a fight that had been building for some time.
All three posters should have got the same penalty.
At least two of them got two weeks, I thought VDS got the same deal.
Apparently not.
Who were the other two posters who threatened to bash someone?

I can't believe we are wasting time on this discussion. Surely there are better things to talk about than why someone who physically threatened someone else isn't here anymore.

whether its road or 'Fo-rage' (thats my term for Forum Rage) we've all wanted to 'bash' someone....the only real mistake is to say it out loud write it or do it......the human condition unfortunately....Doing it should get you rubbed out for good...saying it should just be a month or something......

Thinking it? Well it reminds me of that old Joke ...
A bloke gets pulled over by Cop...Cop says "You know why Ive pulled you over? I'm going to give you a ticket yada yada...
The guy obviously not happy looks up from the drivers seat through the window after he receives his fine says, "One question officer, Its not against the law to think something is it?"
The copper looks back and replys , "Noo I don't suppose it is"
The driver says, "Good cos I think your a C#$@T."

JOKE was from Kevin BLOODY Wilson CIRCA 1980'S i think or Dave somebody cant remember

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back