Senior 21. Jack Martin

Remove this Banner Ad

Not Walsh. We were never giving him up. But yes, the other 3.

I think we got lucky
I believe it would have cost us Martin too, as doubt we could have front loaded his contract to the extent we did for PSD if we had got Shiel last year.
Anyway,, what I like is every time we miss a mature aged target via FA or trading, we do not lose the plot and throw away pick resources on stupid lesser versions of the type of player we wanted. We simply have made most of the draft picks we been left with and used them very very wisely. It has meant we have had to be more patient than we wanted because we've had to build mainly via draft picks but the wait for when they collectively hit 24 to 25 years of age, should be very very worth it.

New poster, so go gentle. Have see Martin a lot in Qld. Played a lot of good games as a forward who never got the ball delivered to him. Never really given enough space to show the skills he undoubtedly has, especially when Lynch was there as they targeted Lynch and Martin did a lot of good things at his feet. Will definitely like the bigger grounds in Melbourne. I think he will be a star.

New poster, so go gentle. Have see Martin a lot in Qld. Played a lot of good games as a forward who never got the ball delivered to him. Never really given enough space to show the skills he undoubtedly has, especially when Lynch was there as they targeted Lynch and Martin did a lot of good things at his feet. Will definitely like the bigger grounds in Melbourne. I think he will be a star.
Welcome! :thumbsu:

Nothing wrong with that post at all, dare say many agree with you.

Welcome on board BrisbaneBlue :thumbsu::)

You've probably seen more of Jack than most of us, so sounds like a good assessment as to where he's at.

I agree, I reckon he'll be fantastic for us....can't wait to see him alongside Eddie.

Welcome! :thumbsu:

Nothing wrong with that post at all, dare say many agree with you.

thanks T2B. A lot will be about structure. Getting the ballin quick where Martin and Betts can run into ball, but Martin will also be able to outmark most running defenders. If it comes in slow and they go to McKay, Curnow or McGovern, Betts and Martin are quick and agile enough to cause headaches and get ball to feet quickly with good goal sense. They also read play well for mis kicks and misreads from other forwards. Martin can also relieve in the middle or go back. Carlton could resemble the forward line of West Coast with Kennedy, Allen and Darling (Mackay, Curnow, and McGovern) complemented by Rioli and Ryan (Betts and Martin)

Not sure if people have seen this Gold Coast video on Jack Martin. In particular look for Malcolm Blights comments from about the 3:00min mark and also the 4:00min mark.

Will leave you salivating !!!

Ta, for talking me into watching it. Yeah, If Blighty making such comments my ears prick up and take a bit more notice than listening to the average footy person. Blight knows a thing or 9000 about skillful players. Hope Jack can live up to his potential now he in a more stable environment of players.

When it comes time to play deep in finals and particularly the GF, when it's tight and you need clean plays, his turnovers would be the reason the opposition score and win the game.

He's the kind that would make me say "of f-off Shiel" about 10 times a game.and should we lose, I would point the finger at him.

Walsh is the kind of player, where everyone else is fumbling and turning it over, he will show his class and punish a Shiel for his turnover.

For the price Essendon paid and for what we would have needed to pay, it would have been a terrible imvestment.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I agree they paid a lot, but that was not the original point of discussion.

Shiel has been a terrific footballer for years now and the disgusting jumper he now wears doesn't change that fact. He has deficiencies in his game, his kicking can be very poor, but some of the best players in the game have very similar issues. Fyfe is a poor kick, as is Dangerfield, yet they are among the best in the game.

Many in the Richmond side aren't particularly good kicks, same for West Coast, same for most premiership sides.

I believe it would have cost us Martin too, as doubt we could have front loaded his contract to the extent we did for PSD if we had got Shiel last year.

I don't think it would have cost us Martin, as the way we structured his contract didn't determine his destination.

A lot was said about the price tag being large so as to scare off other clubs, but none in the media actually bothered to report the truth of the situation.

The reason why we paid him so much, is that we had structured our salary cap to be able to do so. We had been banking cap space and this was the year to use it, so we did, and in doing so we cleared a big chunk of his overall salary in year 1.

Despite that idiot Cochrane huffing and puffing, the Suns were never going to re-draft Martin, and Melbourne were not going to take a player who made it very clear he didn't want to be there.

I don't think it would have cost us Martin,

The reason why we paid him so much, is that we had structured our salary cap to be able to do so
Yes, but you are missing the point that if we got Shiel we would be paying Shiel heaps and less room to front load Martin right now.
By not getting Shiel and them FA Congis, we still had the room we made for such types and instead made use of that space we got now to ensure we got Martin in PSD.

Yes, but you are missing the point that if we got Shiel we would be paying Shiel heaps and less room to front load Martin right now.
By not getting Shiel and them FA Congis, we still had the room we made for such types and instead made use of that space we got now to ensure we got Martin in PSD.

Not missing the point at all. Had we managed to get Shiel last year we still could have got Martin this year. We just wouldn't have front-loaded Martin's contract to the extent we have, but that wouldn't have made it more likely for the Suns or Melbourne to take him.

We would have been able to fit Papley and Martin in this year.

Coniglio is probably a different story.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think you’ll be a star.

Welcome BB. Nice start to proceedings.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back