List Mgmt. Carlton's 2019 Draft Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Can someone explain in simple languge even a horse can understand what 'don't sleep on Kennedy', means? Giant whoosh for me.
Thanks.

A phrase used to describe a person who should not be underestimated. A practical term which can be used with most anyone in any situation where the individuals abilities, conduct or intelligence might be underestimated.

Just type it into the Google search bar and......presto :)

A phrase used to describe a person who should not be underestimated. A practical term which can be used with most anyone in any situation where the individuals abilities, conduct or intelligence might be underestimated.

You sound like Spock in the first paragraph. Lol.

Yep, don’t underestimate Kennedy, especially now he’s lighter and fitter and injury free.

Thanks Harker!

Just been on Kayo to watch some of the second night of draft I did not see. So I see we passed twice but I am a bit confused thinking that would indicate we had two more spots we could fill and one of them was for Martin and if we have another one it is for supplemental selection period or carry over to next year's mid season rookie draft. I am going to assume we really only had one spot free and on draft night when we pass the first time they then inject another pick in live system because we passed the round before. If so, we really only had one spot to fill on primary list and totally filled after Martin taking in pre-season draft.
Can anyone who watched our list numbers more closely confirm ?

Got NFI where to post this, so I’ll chuck it in here.
Was out walking yesterday in an old guernsey. Pulled up to watch a bit of local cricket near some others. Bloke says to me -‘Dan Murphy hasn’t sponsored the club for a while mate’. We struck up a conversation where he introduced himself as an ex-employee if the club. I’m not going to name him, but verified who he was and that he still has a lot of contacts within the club. He tells me that Stephens/Young/Serong we’re our 3 targets inside the Top 10 in that order. We were always confident Kemp would slide but if he went then Cooper Stephens was the next target. The kid we took 2nd pick was always a target, but there was a lot of chatter so they thought they’d pounce early as he had the attributes they wanted. Didn’t rate Robertson much nor Rivers when I asked. Says our 3rd guy isn’t a bad get and Honey is a great project.

Leaves me with. ‘Walsh is right. Setters will be an absolute gun and don’t sleep on Kennedy.’
As what was rumoured and reported prior to the draft I think this is accurate.
Serong, Stephens and Young were our targets with Kemp following that group. We interviewed Cooper Stephen a couple days before the draft and we’re reported to be keen and I’m confident would have picked up had Kemp not been on the board.

I wonder who SOS preferred between Kemp/Stephen.

Don’t know enough about Philps but the more I read about him, see his highlights and consider his attributes, the more I like his selection. If he develops right he could be an incredible prospect.

As what was rumoured and reported prior to the draft I think this is accurate.
Serong, Stephens and Young were our targets with Kemp following that group. We interviewed Cooper Stephen a couple days before the draft and we’re reported to be keen and I’m confident would have picked up had Kemp not been on the board.
I wonder who SOS preferred between Kemp/Stephen.
Don’t know enough about Philps but the more I read about him, see his highlights and consider his attributes, the more I like his selection. If he develops right he could be an incredible prospect.

We had our eye on Kemp a long way out.

Only guessing here, but I feel SOS preferred Kemp above all, with possibly only Young in front, as Stephens and Serong were tipped to be around our mark, whereas Young rarely came into that equation. (Fremantle have a beauty here)

Oh.......and it's Philp. :)

Just been on Kayo to watch some of the second night of draft I did not see. So I see we passed twice but I am a bit confused thinking that would indicate we had two more spots we could fill and one of them was for Martin and if we have another one it is for supplemental selection period or carry over to next year's mid season rookie draft. I am going to assume we really only had one spot free and on draft night when we pass the first time they then inject another pick in live system because we passed the round before. If so, we really only had one spot to fill on primary list and totally filled after Martin taking in pre-season draft.
Can anyone who watched our list numbers more closely confirm ?

We had 5 (senior) list spots available at the draft. When we traded out pick 55 to Port, we automatically got a later pick in the draft to cover the spot.

We took 3 in the draft, then passed, leaving 2 available spots. Martin is one, but then we took 2 rookies for our 39/5/1 split.

We had 5 (senior) list spots available at the draft. When we traded out pick 55 to Port, we automatically got a later pick in the draft to cover the spot.

We took 3 in the draft, then passed, leaving 2 available spots. Martin is one, but then we took 2 rookies for our 39/5/1 split.

Still a little confused. So are you saying , we had two picks in pre-season draft and passed on second and then used extra pick in rookie draft ?
So we would have had only one pick in rookie draft if we picked a second player in PSD?

Still a little confused. So are you saying , we had two picks in pre-season draft and passed on second and then used extra pick in rookie draft ?
So we would have had only one pick in rookie draft if we picked a second player in PSD?

Just remember that a club can only have 44 players across their Main and Rookie lists and up to three on the Category B list.

That break-up can only be one of 40/4 - 39/5 - 38/6 main/rookie listed players. The Cat B rookies sit outside of this.

Yep, don’t underestimate Kennedy, especially now he’s lighter and fitter and injury free.

I'm a massive believer in Kennedy and his talent but I fear we cant carry all of Cripps, Setterfield, Dow and now Kemp in the same side in the future. ECurnow also a key part of inside midfield atm.

Hopefully develops his game as a marking forward. His game against GC was one of our best individual performances of the season.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a massive believer in Kennedy and his talent but I fear we cant carry all of Cripps, Setterfield, Dow and now Kemp in the same side in the future. ECurnow also a key part of inside midfield atm.

Hopefully develops his game as a marking forward. His game against GC was one of our best individual performances of the season.

With Charlie likely being on the injury list come the start of the season, do you think MK could be a chance to line-up in the forward line?
Betts - Kennedy - McGovern

With Charlie likely being on the injury list come the start of the season, do you think MK could be a chance to line-up in the forward line?
Betts - Kennedy - McGovern
I'd have Kennedy half forward with a tall in Cashboult or DeKoning in a pocket with Mitch McGovern full forward.

I can’t replace DC, McKay or Martin (HF line) with MK or displacing Cas or JSOS
Then we have a very good problem, something we haven't had for years. Injuries will play a big part in the make up of the team.

I'd have Kennedy half forward with a tall in Cashboult or DeKoning in a pocket with Mitch McGovern full forward.

I agree. I’d love to see TDK getting some game time in the seniors. I know the bigs take longer to mature, and that TDK specifically has had an interrupted run with injury so far, but he needs to get some exposure to the big time soon. Not gifted games, but certainly as an option should Kreuz get injured or need a rest. I love Levi pinch-hitting in the ruck, but we need to be planning for life post-Kreuzer. That could be sooner than we all dare to realise.

Apologies if this has already been sent.

Last edited:

If you couldn't find something, it can't be found....

Overall, Carlton fans should be really pleased with what their club has been able to do at the drafts, picking up genuine bargains and players with upside and high ceilings that while they do not always work out, if they do then this draft haul could be lauded in the future.

Overall, Carlton fans should be really pleased with what their club has been able to do at the drafts, picking up genuine bargains and players with upside and high ceilings that while they do not always work out, if they do then this draft haul could be lauded in the future.

I am pleased, as we identified types and backed our development.
We could have taken a few Nick Grahams and viewed to be better off for it......but we didn't.

This is exactly what we should have done, taking into account our list.
Well done CFC......and they won't all work out, but that's not the point. We had a clear focus on who, how and why and we executed without fear.

Can someone explain in simple languge even a horse can understand what 'don't sleep on Kennedy', means? Giant whoosh for me.
Thanks.

An example would be, “Don’t sleep on Thy’s ability to have 3,000 posts in a single day”.

I presume we had groups of guys in mind at various points in the draft to cover trade down scenarios.
Eg Stephens Young Serong at 9
Kemp and C Stephens at 15
Obviously Flip around the 20
I wonder if Robertson was in the 15 group behind Kemp and Stephens?
Did they have to choose between the guy they wanted at 20 and a slider from the earlier group?
Maybe he wasn't on the list at any point?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back