Game Day 2019 AFL Draft Day- RD1, RD2 + beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Effectively it means we currently are in line to get the 11th best rated player not f/s or academy.

and looking at a thread like Davo... atpit there is around 9-10 in the top30 (early ,early estimate) .... and probably 3-4 Falcons ... not aligned to clubs.

That’s what I thought too Pure but if you listen to the draft podcast Troy Selwood says twice that part of the attraction of the trade was that pick 11 was fixed and it’s position cannot change??

fixed as in its not tied to their finishing position...

I think we will be a great position with all these academy picks to do small trades like Freo and GCS did to turn those 3 picks into 4 or 5. I mean two clubs already go in with deficits.

We know clubs go mental to move up 2 spots just so they can take an extra player. Trades like 11 for 15 + 20

Just need clubs to bloody bid on these kids!!!

Yes in position to have options ... how ever we will need to assess what our lists need.. at the moment do we need more youth or do we need 1 or 2 young stars... how many will be retiring ..do we have that covered etc etc. As it stood this year we had to delist players with contracts to bring in 4 players... if we have even better picks .. I dont doubt we would be willing to do the same again if required.

Yeah I get all that and that was my original belief too...but what I don’t understand is his emphasis on that it’s different to other picks because it’s fixed. If it moves back with matched bids, which is what I think you guys are saying, doesn’t that make it the same as other picks???

Gold Coast is probably estimated to finish bottom ..so its not as accute with them... but lets say Gold Coast have a flyer.. and a pick was tied to their finish position like their R2 pick .. it could be 20 thru to 30 before bids.. ..add bid and one really doesn't know what it would be exactly.
A comp pick for FA for eg is tied to finish position or end of round ... its a bit similar.

Yes in position to have options ... how ever we will need to assess what our lists need.. at the moment do we need more youth or do we need 1 or 2 young stars... how many will be retiring ..do we have that covered etc etc. As it stood this year we had to delist players with contracts to bring in 4 players... if we have even better picks .. I dont doubt we would be willing to do the same again if required.

With GWS required to trade back in for points just to cover their deficit we are in prime position to exploit that. I’d offer one of our firsts for Caldwell. Use the other two on the best kids we can get.

With GWS required to trade back in for points just to cover their deficit we are in prime position to exploit that. I’d offer one of our firsts for Caldwell. Use the other two on the best kids we can get.
This

no doubt will be a key strategy for next year draft

Its one option ... its bit early to determine points required ..they may even remove discount ..so that adds to your prediction..

They aren't required to trade back in for points it just hits their existing picks even though they traded out their future 1st before the draft, that might be a loophole that needs to be closed.

Furthermore points aren't deducted from picks they trade in.

They aren't required to trade back in for points it just hits their existing picks even though they traded out their future 1st before the draft, that might be a loophole that needs to be closed.

In think YOTC may have expressed slightly off par ... what is the facts atm.... do GWS have a draft deficit for 2020? And if , as predicted the have another group of academy players , Greens brother ec ... one would think they would be interested in trading out an under used asset like Caldwell and XOH to thicken their picks and points .

For those of you wondering, as I am, about the degree to which next years draft is weak/compromised I think this is a fairly good introduction:

Very early overview of the talent available, obviously subject to serious change:

Then this is a discussion of how that talent compares to other drafts and where they expect to see the bulk of bidding:

Seems that it will be a pretty weak draft and maybe not as compromised as we thought

In think YOTC may have expressed slightly off par ... what is the facts atm.... do GWS have a draft deficit for 2020? And if , as predicted the have another group of academy players , Greens brother ec ... one would think they would be interested in trading out an under used asset like Caldwell and XOH to thicken their picks and points .
I reckon GWS would be crazy not to consider an offer of Caldwell for a first. I'd go in asking for Caldwell and Hately for WCE 1st

My understanding was that the picks they have for 2020 doesn’t cover the deficit. Is that right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I reckon GWS would be crazy not to consider an offer of Caldwell for a first. I'd go in asking for Caldwell and Hately for WCE 1st

Doubt we’d get that. In any case I’d say that Adel will come hard for Hately. But we should be targeting one of them. XOH another to consider with a 2nd rounder perhaps?

My understanding was that the picks they have for 2020 doesn’t cover the deficit. Is that right?

Gws have no R1 their own R2 and R3 and colls R4 (pick swap) so lets say those picks are 36 64 and 70. They have about a 300 point deficit so that should push 36 back to 60ish so 60 64 and 70. So they can cover the deficit but they will want to trade top 30 picks back in which is where we can maybe get players off them.

Doubt we’d get that. In any case I’d say that Adel will come hard for Hately. But we should be targeting one of them. XOH another to consider with a 2nd rounder perhaps?

Hately or Caldwell at the right price id target as well as maybe XOH. Would also consider one of their KPFs at the right price as they have a few of them.

Yeah they'd probably say no but I'd start the conversation somewhere similar. XOH might be the better sweetner. Having so many list spots invested in similar players makes little sense and XOH/Hately have to know they're a long shot at seniors for a while. Caldwell more likely but he'd have higher expectations than that.

Would also consider n offer for Taranto but yes we are in a prime position to get 1 or 2 young players from them if we want
And still keep a 1st rounder for the draft

They wont trade best 22 players like taranto nor would he want to leave. They will trade their 23-28 types which is your caldwell hately cumming xoh etc types depending on who wants to leave and what other clubs can attract them.

They wont trade best 22 players like taranto nor would he want to leave. They will trade their 23-28 types which is your caldwell hately cumming xoh etc types depending on who wants to leave and what other clubs can attract them.
Exactly. I think the two clubs would be in polar opposites for list management in that GWS will have specific list needs they'll want to draft or trade for whereas the cats will be seeing so much list churn that we'd be in a much better position to go best available. The best available for one of our late firsts is unlikely to be better than Caldwell but could be a player suiting a need for GWS. Win win

Taranto would be nice but I think GWS would clean us out for him

If you are talking OOC players at GWS for 2020 the main ones are Whitfield (FA) Cameron (FA) Williams Finlayson Caldwell Hately Cumming XOH Corr Langdon Perryman and Lloyd. I doubt the first three are going anywhere but i imagine most of the rest are gettable for the right price.

If you are talking OOC players at GWS for 2020 the main ones are Whitfield (FA) Cameron (FA) Williams Finlayson Caldwell Hately Cumming XOH Corr Langdon Perryman and Lloyd. I doubt the first three are going anywhere but i imagine most of the rest are gettable for the right price.
Finlayson, XOH and Caldwell I would be happy to chase...I think Cameron will sign next year to stay sadly

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back