List Mgmt. Welcome to West Coast: Mitch (Star Wars) O'Neill

Remove this Banner Ad

Article highlights some of the many reasons why a full time team for Tassie is still a way off. Even Gold Coast due to risk/reward is a better prospect
Disagree actually. Shows how young Tassie kids are turning there back on the afl after the afl has turned there back on them. One of the traditional heart lands of footy and factory of some of the games greatest, the afl has wrecked the state chasing the dollars from the northern states.

Disagree actually. Shows how young Tassie kids are turning there back on the afl after the afl has turned there back on them. One of the traditional heart lands of footy and factory of some of the games greatest, the afl has wrecked the state chasing the dollars from the northern states.
Absolutely. Tassie deserves an AFL team ( more so than Gold Coast and western Sydney) but the league is a money whore and the financial argument or a Tassie team is very thin.
I really hope they get one but it will be some way off I imagine.

It isn't all the AFLs doing, the Tasmanian football league has been poorly run for decades. The league itself is in it's third iteration after closing twice and there's been a large number of clubs that have gone bust along the way also. Since the league reopened in 2009 after a nine year hiatus, 6 teams have gone bust which is a worrying trend.

Furthermore for context, populations:
SE Queensland 3,600,000 (estimated)
GWS area 2,505,139
Tasmania 522, 327

So the reward for getting a viable team in the Gold Coast has a lot higher scope for revenue for the AFL, same with GWS. Those are just the areas the teams are in also, it doesn't take into consideration the rest of the state.

Reality is Tassie are a very limited population center with a number of internal issues. If they sort out their internal politics and get a stable environment they might be an option later on, but at the current time the risk/reward for the second teams in Queensland and NSW are a better business prospect, and the AFL recognizes that. A Tassie team is nothing more than a romantic notion with little business sense to back it up.

Last edited:
Mind-boggling thread.
Unbelievable really
I thought the idea of the draft was to get the best available talent wherever they come from and provide an environment that they are comfortable in and are reluctant to leave
Seems to work
So why not now?

Last edited:
Unbelievable really
I thought the idea of the draft was to get the best available talent wherever they come from and provide an environment that they are comfortable in and are reluctant to leave
Seems to work
So why not now?
Because he's from Tasmania and he really really really really loves Tasmania and they *might* have an AFL team at some unknown time in the future and he will definitely want to play for them if they do have a team during his career and we will get absolutely nothing for him in return.

I think that sums it up.

People need to temper their excitment on O'Neill.

Just remember the AFL are now starting to look seriously at a Tasmanian team and licence. If that happened I will guarantee O'Neill will head home. Bet a body part on it.

Hopefully he comes good and we get decent compo for him unless they get to pick a player from every club for free.

relax, he is currently a wce. If he wants to leave if and when a Tasmanian team is introduced we will facilitate a fair trade and get fair compo.
Atm this is not something we have to worry about. Just relax and let the kid do what he does best, play footy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

People need to temper their excitment on O'Neill.

Just remember the AFL are now starting to look seriously at a Tasmanian team and licence. If that happened I will guarantee O'Neill will head home. Bet a body part on it.

Hopefully he comes good and we get decent compo for him unless they get to pick a player from every club for free.
People need to temper their excitement on Jamieson too.

Just remember once a surfer always a surfer, if the swell was up he might even give himself license to head to Tasmania. If that happened I guarantee Jamison would chase the waves. Bet a body part on it.

Hopefully Jamieson comes good and doesn't join the pro surf tour, as we wouldn't get any decent compo for him.

relax, he is currently a wce. If he wants to leave if and when a Tasmanian team is introduced we will facilitate a fair trade and get fair compo.
Atm this is not something we have to worry about. Just relax and let the kid do what he does best, play footy
After he is captain wins a premiership a brownlow and a simpson medal I worry he will go home to mummy as Captain of the inaugral tassie devil afl side .

There are plenty of draftees who plan on moving back home once they get drafted. From all reports JOM and cogs were both planning to come back to WA. However it’s pretty clear that once your established at a club, you have a house, gf and possibly kids your mind changes pretty quickly.

People need to temper their excitement on Jamieson too.

Just remember once a surfer always a surfer, if the swell was up he might even give himself license to head to Tasmania. If that happened I guarantee Jamison would chase the waves. Bet a body part on it.

Hopefully Jamieson comes good and doesn't join the pro surf tour, as we wouldn't get any decent compo for him.

Another dick comment.

Off season is up and about.

Because he's from Tasmania and he really really really really loves Tasmania and they *might* have an AFL team at some unknown time in the future and he will definitely want to play for them if they do have a team during his career and we will get absolutely nothing for him in return.

I think that sums it up.

It sums up you are also being a dick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back