Tool - FEAR INOCULUM

Remove this Banner Ad

Their last concert here 6 years ago was still pretty awesome although the decline had started. Will have to look into how their recent concerts are going?

Saw them in 2013 and was blown away by their sound and show - but the obvious issue was Maynard. Not only too old and voice shot but he was sick as well. I figured that would be it and I'd just have to accept that if I ever went again I'd not be getting the full Tool experience.

They've had a definite resurgence since then - mainly due to Maynard's vocal training and acceptance of using some vocal fx and loops. He's learned to get screaming tone without having to push the volume and can hit higher notes without having to strain as hard. As such some old material not played for year is back (Intolerance or Swamp Song for example) and we now have 3-4 new tunes not heard live before.

Check out concert footage from last month. Tool fans CAN'T miss this tour.

I went and saw them twice in 2011

Once at the Big Day Out and then a few days later at the Myer Music Bowl.

Both awesome shows but I would say that they were probably better at the BDO because of the big screens with the visuals working better with their music

The Rammstein + Tool combo was pretty great at that Big Day Out. I really enjoyed the Music Bowl show (I was lucky enough to be in the front section) but imo the Tool show at the Adelaide BDO a few days later was better.

Very much the opposite in 2007 though - the sideshow I saw in Sydney was pretty good, while the following BDO show was a little underwhelming.

It wouldn't be a day in Australia without paying the Australia Tax would it?
Indeed. It's not quite the disparity between the original version with the LCD, but still a bit more than it needs to be I expect.

Personally, I feel like it's a bit of a wasted opportunity from the band though - this kind of book/lenticular release would be perfect for vinyl. I don't really need another CD, but will happily spring for a decent vinyl copy.

Tried to get tix to both shows really wanted GA but didnt have any luck so switched to seats but kept getting shitty side seats then I just gave up all together.

You would think by now they could a live seat map so you could pick the best available seats yourself rather than them allocating some shitty spot for you.

Anyway been watching some of their new shows on youtube concert looks great but maynards really struggling with his voice

Tried to get tix to both shows really wanted GA but didnt have any luck so switched to seats but kept getting shitty side seats then I just gave up all together.

You would think by now they could a live seat map so you could pick the best available seats yourself rather than them allocating some shitty spot for you.
Maybe, I think people sometimes underestimate the technical challenges behind writing a booking system for a show who's demand is so great it sells out in minutes. Giving people the option to choose specific seats is really not an option in an environment when they are being sold at such a quick rate.

Anyway been watching some of their new shows on youtube concert looks great but maynards really struggling with his voice
He no longer has the voice he had in the 90s though, and I think he's had to re-learn how to perform their music to a certain extent. There were a few tours where he was pretty under par since the 10k Days tours, but I'd say in the last couple of years his vocals have been pretty solid.

Maybe, I think people sometimes underestimate the technical challenges behind writing a booking system for a show who's demand is so great it sells out in minutes. Giving people the option to choose specific seats is really not an option in an environment when they are being sold at such a quick rate.

He no longer has the voice he had in the 90s though, and I think he's had to re-learn how to perform their music to a certain extent. There were a few tours where he was pretty under par since the 10k Days tours, but I'd say in the last couple of years his vocals have been pretty solid.

I know its not easy but im sure there is a way it could be done they just dont need too coz most people dont care. Everyone was being put in a online queue anyway then getting 10 mins to buy tix. Back in the day when they had outlets you could ask the cashier what good seats were still available so they had a live system available to them. Anyway no biggie ive seen em 3 times so that will do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back in the day when they had outlets you could ask the cashier what good seats were still available so they had a live system available to them.
I don't imagine those systems back in the day were as live as you think. Nor did those systems come under the amount of pressure that an online ticket store does.

I don't imagine those systems back in the day were as live as you think. Nor did those systems come under the amount of pressure that an online ticket store does.

Ofcourse they were. Otherwise they would be selling the same ticket twice. The cashier would often be finding you seats and the next second they would come up as sold.

Ofcourse they were. Otherwise they would be selling the same ticket twice. The cashier would often be finding you seats and the next second they would come up as sold.
The key difference these days is it's no longer just 50 box offices selling tickets, it's thousands simultaneously.

I've had this album for a couple of months now but haven't listened to a track yet - I'm waiting til I have time to listen from start to finish but with two young kids that can be pretty hard these days! I haven't read any reviews either but my brother told me it's not very good. I guess it's better to go in with low expectations

I've had this album for a couple of months now but haven't listened to a track yet - I'm waiting til I have time to listen from start to finish but with two young kids that can be pretty hard these days! I haven't read any reviews either but my brother told me it's not very good. I guess it's better to go in with low expectations
Completely disagree with your brother.

The music is fine there’s just not enough of it. Take out the drum solo and there’s only 6 tracks and 1 of those is mostly just Adam and Maynard. I was expecting a double album after 13 years.

The music is fine there’s just not enough of it. Take out the drum solo and there’s only 6 tracks and 1 of those is mostly just Adam and Maynard. I was expecting a double album after 13 years.

Spotify has it listed as 96 minutes that's a pretty decent album length. The length of the album doesn't worry me, I'd prefer they produce something of high quality than add filler just to get the numbers up.

Read someone call the album cover is "Nickleback on DMT", did lol.
If Culling Voices isn't about the #metoo movement and the false claims made against Maynard last year I'd be very, very surprised
Either that or someone gave Maynard's winery another crappy review on Yelp...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back