Training Apples' Training Threads 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to see Murphy tried on a wing also. He offers a point of difference with his height and marking skills to our other wing options. He could be really damaging rolling forward from midfield and is already a good interceptor as a defender. My only question is if he has the running patterns and footy nous to do that. It's worth a trial.
I do think we'll trend back to marking wingmen some stage soon. Need strong aerialists to break up the opposition's defensive press.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
Jesus. You're doing it again.
I better keep quiet.

that 1960 Melbourne Cup winner’s* ghost might be let loose again....

* Hi Jinx saluted in 1960

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
May 27, 2008
Wherever I May Roam
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Socceroos, Melbourne Victory
Wing maybe, I'm not as bullish as some.

He projects to me as Tom Lynch Adelaide potentially, perhaps even better & more versatile.

I like the idea but i'm not sure Murphy has the pace to be as damaging as Tom Lynch (Ade). It'd be interesting to see if he has the leading patterns also. I've never seen any of Murphy's games as a forward so I cant judge. But I reckon it's worth a crack.

Time Trial Top 10 (Report to follow)
1. Jay Rantall 6:04
2. Tom Phillips 6:06

3. Sidebottom 6:21
4. Kelly 6:26
5. Murphy 6:29

6. Wilson 6:34
7. Madgen 6:35
8. Howe 6:36
9. Lynch 6:36
10. Tohill 6:37
A lot of key position players in that list. Do we have good running talls or were there a few noticeable absentees?

I like the idea but i'm not sure Murphy has the pace to be as damaging as Tom Lynch (Ade). It'd be interesting to see if he has the leading patterns also. I've never seen any of Murphy's games as a forward so I cant judge. But I reckon it's worth a crack.
From what I’ve seen leads well, but shocking kicking on goal.

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
From what I’ve seen leads well, but shocking kicking on goal.

That's surprising given the quality of his field kicking. Is it a technique issue?

That's surprising given the quality of his field kicking. Is it a technique issue?
Even as a junior the big knock on him was his set shots. It’s why the club put him straight in defence imo.

LarryKinn

Team Captain
Nov 3, 2019
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Los Angeles Lakers LA Chargers
I'd like to see Murphy tried on a wing also. He offers a point of difference with his height and marking skills to our other wing options. He could be really damaging rolling forward from midfield and is already a good interceptor as a defender. My only question is if he has the running patterns and footy nous to do that. It's worth a trial.
I think Murphy and Noble should be considered for the wing.
Also think Treloar could be moved to the wing to push some bigger bodies on the ball.

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pretty sure he’s still in rehab? I doubt he participated.

E526D932-9203-4BA2-8551-00F27D09764B.png

Very surprising. Considering our best forward (JDG) is a shocking set shot.
Jordy’s set shots were amazingly good until last year. You have a short memory.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Training observations - hail the new time trial king

2km Time Trial at first full training for the season

Rantall (lead the entire run and I am told was a bit tired going in since being drafted recently and the hype)
Phillips (sat on him the entire way and they quickly built a handy gap. Beaten by ~3m in the end. Tried to surge but Rantall kicked)
Sidebottom (maybe 30m behind)
Kelly (maybe further 10-15m further back)
Murphy
Magden

Other participants not in precise order
Lynch (faded but was sitting 3rd in early laps)
Tohill
Pendles
Scharenberg
Thomas
Elliott?
Brown brothers - Tyler ahead of Cal
Howe
De Goey (nice to see him participating)
Sier
Bianco
Cameron
Mihocek
Wilson
Ruscoe
Varcoe
Moore last of the main group

Big gap to Cox

Grundy big gap behind Cox and maybe 8/10 of a lap down on the winners)

Running at a slower pace alternately and not in time trial
Treloar*
Adams
Appleby
Atu
Daicos*
Dunn*
Mayne
Noble*
Maynard (went for a walk around the Tan and surrounds with someone maybe club psych, doc or physio)
Crisp
Wills
Reid*
IQ
Broomy*
Keane
Levi*

*Largely did run throughs and no ball work for the day

Absent altogether
Beams (has been at the club on other occasions)
Langdon
WHE
Stephenson (who has been there this season otherwise)

Other drills and notables in the day
New recruits off early post the time trial for orientation and media stuff
Bit of tackling work
Keepings off/chipping around/transition across field type work
Bit of transition from end to end of a square by handball in traffic work
Crisp/IQ/Appleby did a bit of running and kicking work together with one of the fitness guys
Thought Darcy Cameron was a good kick for his size
Levi doing quite a bit of running. I was surprised how much and the pace he was hitting the laps and run throughs
I thought the turnout by players was good and better than this time last year. Few absent and rehab group seemed pretty active cf last year
I departed at 12pm. 1/3 of the list still going

I chatted to one of the part time recruiters at the club while there.
Some thoughts on the draft from his personal perspective
- He thought both Melbourne's picks were risky at the slots, particularly Pickett. Maybe Dees play Jackson as a mid in time?
- Surprised with Sam Philp at the pick Carlton took him
- He was a big Weightman fan
- McAsey the best KPP in the draft
- Reckons we would have been pretty interested in Worrell and may have tried to trade down to get him. Definite option at either end of the ground.
- Club would have been super surprised to land Bianco, in particular, at the pick we got him. Good skills, decision making and knows where to be
- Rantall lots of upside given last year was his first dedicated football pre-season
- He thought Riccardi was OK, but a few of his 38 goals were Joe the Goose handballs etc (like Josh Jenkins) and not convinced of his competitiveness. Still young

Note that he also said that both Kelly and Murphy largely played up forward in their draft year at School/Chargers/Dragons.
Originally had viewed Murphy as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide) forward type given his height and tank
Thinks Tom Wilson showed a bit in his initial VFL outings. Good kick and quite a good mark, taking it at the peak. Quite a bit to work with

Last edited:
Rantall (lead the entire run and I am told was a bit tired going in since being drafted recently and the hype)
That probably explains the 14 sec difference between his time today and the combine.

Callum Brown in rehab too? Just assumed he was back to full training.
No idea, but Dunn definitely isn’t in full training yet. Regardless, IQ had end of season surgery on his hip, and I’m 99.9% sure he’s still in the rehab group.
Amazingly good? Good, yes.
They were better than good. He was easily our best set shot in 2018 and were always good until last year. Point being, he never previously had the issues Murphy has always seemed to have with his set shots.

Training observations - hail the new time trial king

2km Time Trial at first full training for the season

Phillips (sat on him the entire way and they quickly built a handy gap. Beaten by ~3m in the end. Tried to surge but Rantall kicked)
Sidebottom (maybe 30m behind)
Kelly (maybe further 10-15m further back)
Murphy
Magden

Other participants not in precise order
Lynch (faded but was sitting 3rd in early laps)
Tohill
Pendles
Scharenberg
Thomas
Elliott?
Brown brothers - Tyler ahead of Cal
Howe
De Goey (nice to see him participating)
Sier
Bianco
Cameron
Mihocek
Wilson
Ruscoe
Varcoe
Moore last of the main group

Big gap to Cox

Grundy big gap behind Cox and maybe 8/10 of a lap down on the winners)

Running at a slower pace alternately and not in time trial
Treloar*
Adams
Appleby
Atu
Daicos*
Dunn*
Mayne
Noble*
Maynard (went for a walk around the Tan and surrounds with someone maybe club psych?)
Crisp
Wills
Reid*
IQ
Broomy*
Keane
Levi*

*Largely did run throughs and no ball work for the day

Absent altogether
Beams (has been at the club on other occasions)
Langdon
WHE
Stephenson (who has been there this season otherwise)

Other drills and notables in the day
New recruits off early post the time trial for orientation and media stuff
Bit of tackling work
Keepings off/chipping around/transition across field type work
Bit of transition from end to end of a square by handball in traffic work
Crisp/IQ/Appleby did a bit of running and kicking work together with one of the fitness guys
Thought Darcy Cameron was a good kick for his size
Levi doing quite a bit of running. I was surprised how much and the pace he was hitting the laps and run throughs
I thought the turnout by players was good and better than this time last year. Few absent and rehab group seemed pretty active cf last year
I departed at 12pm. 1/3 of the list still going

I chatted to one of the part time recruiters at the club while there.
Some thoughts on the draft from his personal perspective
- He thought both Melbourne's picks were risky at the slots, particularly Pickett. Maybe Dees play Jackson as a mid in time?
- Surprised with Sam Philp at the pick Carlton took him
- He was a big Weightman fan
- McAsey the best KPP in the draft
- Reckons we would have been pretty interested in Worrell and may have tried to trade down to get him. Definite option at either end of the ground.
- Club would have been super surprised to land Bianco, in particular, at the pick we got him. Good skills, decision making and knows where to be
- Rantall lots of upside given last year was his first dedicated football pre-season
- He thought Riccardi was OK, but a few of his 38 goals were Joe the Goose handballs etc (like Josh Jenkins) and not convinced of his competitiveness. Still young

Note that he also said that both Kelly and Murphy largely played up forward in their draft year at School/Chargers/Dragons.
Originally had viewed Murphy as a Tom Lynch (Adelaide) forward type given his height and tank
Thinks Tom Wilson showed a bit in his initial VFL outings. Good kick and quite a good mark, taking it at the peak. Quite a bit to work with
Also, has there been a mix up with Wilson on Apples or your list? Apples has him down as 6th and you have him further down the order.

Aug 17, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Also, has there been a mix up with Wilson on Apples or your list? Apples has him down as 6th and you have him further down the order.
No, I'd say Apples is correct with those times. He's always diligently noting the clock on TT day.
As noted in my own list, the order beyond Magden wasn't correct.
I placed a bunch of guys in my head as they had come past me a couple of times, but I was about 100m post the start to watch it all.
Wilson must have made up ground, Lynch faded, Howe made up some ground from when they went past me.

As for Rantall's time, yes he was tired and it was cool and blowy today. Not ideal conditions for posting PB's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back