Game Day 2019 AFL Draft Day- RD1, RD2 + beyond

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For those that doubted how compromised next year's draft is going to be, eight of the 24 top prospects identified by Cal Twomey and Knightmare are linked in academies. And it seems ~15 of the top 40 prospects are academy players. Our 2020 pick in the 30s could be in the 50s after bidding.

For those that doubted how compromised next year's draft is going to be, eight of the 24 top prospects identified by Cal Twomey and Knightmare are linked in academies. And it seems ~15 of the top 40 prospects are academy players. Our 2020 pick in the 30s could be in the 50s after bidding.

Wouldn't that depending on when bidding occurs - it seems that normally with top prospects that will be bidded on that it's the first and maybe 2nd round that's impacted, while later picks will start to come in if 2nd & 3rd round picks are getting chewed up by bids

I think our 1st round picks will be more impacted that our later pick/s next year, especially if teams actually bid at a players worth and don't let teams like GWS get guys like Green for a steal

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can someone explain the trade to get pick 50? Did we use GC 2020 Rd 3 as part of it?

Apologies if this has already been answered, but can someone explain the trade to get pick 50? Did we use GC 2020 Rd 3 as part of it?

Geelong then did a deal in which it sent what became pick No.63 and 2020 third and fourth-round picks in return for the Bombers’ pick No.50.

Maybe we didn't need to send next years 4th also, but seems we kept the GC 2020 Rd 3 pick

Geelong then did a deal in which it sent what became pick No.63 and 2020 third and fourth-round picks in return for the Bombers’ pick No.50.

Maybe we didn't need to send next years 4th also, but seems we kept the GC 2020 Rd 3 pick

No we didnt.
We sent our original FR3 to WCE in the Kelly deal.
We swapped 37 for jenkins and GC FR3 then sent GC FR3 our FR4 and 63 this year to ess for 50. So we have no R3 or R4 next year but those picks will prob fall about say 48 and 65 that plus 63 for 50 was a good deal considering Taheny is way better than anything you would get at 48 next year. (Given we got 63 in the pick swap its basically 27 this year plus about 48 and 65 next year out and P11 next year plus taheny in).

No we didnt.
We swapped 37 for jenkins and GC FR3 then sent GC FR3 our FR4 and 63 this year to ess for 50. So we have no R3 or R4 next year but those picks will prob fall about say 48 and 65 that plus 63 for 50 was a good deal considering Taheny is way better than anything you would get at 48 next year.

Cheers

I took the line from a krock article and it wasn't very clear - it's a little frustrating the lack of clear info about that trade, appreciate the explanation

Wouldn't that depending on when bidding occurs - it seems that normally with top prospects that will be bidded on that it's the first and maybe 2nd round that's impacted, while later picks will start to come in if 2nd & 3rd round picks are getting chewed up by bids

I think our 1st round picks will be more impacted that our later pick/s next year, especially if teams actually bid at a players worth and don't let teams like GWS get guys like Green for a steal

As we saw this year, clubs with academy picks move their 1st/2nd round picks further up the order to get ahead of the bid, and their 3rd round picks later to match the bid.

A pick like we have in the 30s is the worst place to be, as we saw this year our p36 got pushed out to p41. It will be even worse next year.

No we didnt.
We swapped 37 for jenkins and GC FR3 then sent GC FR3 our FR4 and 63 this year to ess for 50. So we have no R3 or R4 next year but those picks will prob fall about say 48 and 65 that plus 63 for 50 was a good deal considering Taheny is way better than anything you would get at 48 next year. (Given we got 63 in the pick swap its basically 27 this year plus about 48 and 65 next year out and P11 next year plus taheny in).

Wells must like Taheny because you’d think GC Rd 3 will be low 40s, in addition to our RD 3 2020.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its really long range guess atm. ..but I were to guess Id say the draft being affected by academy players may affect the number at which we take that R11 pick by 2 or 3 .. and P35 ..who knows if we even take that by the time of the draft... Is it beyond realistic guess that we put 17 and 35 together for a club that needs points? The way some deal happened this year anything is possible.. The afl will probably not change discounts..but if they did demand for points would only escalate.

Will it be that much worse than other years when there has been compromised selections? Possibly but it has no new teams coming in, it has no u17 picks .. its probably a slightly less exciting draft pool than this year atm... but things change quickly.

So of those linked ..some will be taken early , some may not even end up being drafted.. players like Cassar , Jeka , Bell , Finlay all missed this year so being in the game doesnt confirm you are a lock to be an early pick.

If we use Tarheney as an example ..playing in the u17 game he was going to be in the first half of the draft at least..

No we didnt.
Considering the loss of players happens each year .. there is a good chance you could pick up a P30+ for someone at some stage.. just too early to say. Id say 3 picks and a trade and a potential FA is probably not a bad start places for expectation next year.

Considering the loss of players happens each year .. there is a good chance you could pick up a P30+ for someone at some stage.. just too early to say. Id say 3 picks and a trade and a potential FA is probably not a bad start places for expectation next year.
Depending on who we trade out next year if we combine picks we could end up with 4 firsts before we trade any players in or grab anyone from FA

Say Menegola (hypothetical) wants out we would get a pick in the 20s i would say combine that with our second and other picks traded in would secure us another first.

As it sits we have what you would call a gold mine walking into next years draft/trade periods (depends on finishes and using it well ) but you get my point

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Depending on who we trade out next year if we combine picks we could end up with 4 firsts before we trade any players in or grab anyone from FA

Say Menegola (hypothetical) wants out we would get a pick in the 20s i would say combine that with our second and other picks traded in would secure us another first.

As it sits we have what you would call a gold mine walking into next years draft/trade periods (depends on finishes and using it well ) but you get my point

Menegola will be FA , and if we take a FA we may get zero for a Menegola departure but yes things like you mention are possible ...

Does anyone know much about the 3 players that are training with us that will be in next year's draft

Geelong: Tanner Bruhn, Oliver Henry, Nick Stevens

All I know Oliver Henry is Jack's brother
Tanner Bruhn is the love-child of Grant and Neville I believe.
Nick Stevens is just there to confuse the hell out of everyone.

Relax Boris the sky isn't falling.
11 and most likely picks 14-18 will be exactly that. Maybe 1 or two back as it has been for many years.
If they are that good of players they will be selected in the top 10... if not Wells will use 11 for multiple bids just like Carlton thus keeping our first rounders pretty much were they should be. That is if these so called players are indeed top prospects, which i have my doubts.
As for pick 32-36 it might be back 10. Not a big deal really. Just like this years went back 5 or so.
FWIW getting 3 TOP 20 players again next year is as good as it gets for this club considering we have always been around the pointy end of the ladder year in year out. Here's hoping for a bad year for the Eagles to give us back2back picks lol.
Cheers

Not a hope in hell Gunf... we were already gifted a con job with Motlop's compo lol.
Sammy will not get us anything better than a end of 3rd round compo pick (55+) at best.

I agree with you with the goldmine that awaits us.

Cheers

Relax Boris the sky isn't falling.
11 and most likely picks 14-18 will be exactly that. Maybe 1 or two back as it has been for many years.
If they are that good of players they will be selected in the top 10... if not Wells will use 11 for multiple bids just like Carlton thus keeping our first rounders pretty much were they should be. That is if these so called players are indeed top prospects, which i have my doubts.
As for pick 32-36 it might be back 10. Not a big deal really. Just like this years went back 5 or so.
FWIW getting 3 TOP 20 players again next year is as good as it gets for this club considering we have always been around the pointy end of the ladder year in year out. Here's hoping for a bad year for the Eagles to give us back2back picks lol.
Cheers

RE the bolded above, that’s correct and exactly what I’m talking about, that would push our picks back.

This year’s draft only had Green, Henry, Maginness and Mead as academy prospects and our p14 was pushed back to p16, our p24 became p27 and our p36 became p41 and that’s with only four academy players, not 17 like this coming draft.

People are seriously underestimating the impact this will have on our picks.

RE the bolded above, that’s correct and exactly what I’m talking about, that would push our picks back.

This year’s draft only had Green, Henry, Maginness and Mead as academy prospects and our p14 was pushed back to p16, our p24 became p27 and our p36 became p41 and that’s with only four academy players, not 17 like this coming draft.

I get that but academy teams were able to trade to create points this year as they had buyers...next year theres at least 10 teams needing points for academy picks so not all will be as willing to trade down. Some teams will have to match first roundbids with first round picks which means our R1s will push down but our R2 should come in a bit.

And if they are not... then the status quo remains.
But like the last few drafts... anything after the first half dozen picks the rest have dropped back 1 or 2.
If that is underestimating the impact it has on our 3 First Rounders. Guilty as charged.
If they are Top 10 prospects we can nab them all with our Pick 11. leaving 14 & 16 or whatever the other two are where they are.
As i said nothing to worry about my friend. Mountain = Mole hill??
Next year will be definitely work out for us with that Gold Coast pick.
By either allowing us to nab a TOP 10 pick or getting bid matched which will have zero impact on our latter first rounders.
Cheers Bud.

Next year depending on trade ins-out etc is a massive opportunity to trade later picks for higher ones for clubs that will need points or want to avoid using a first rounder to match.

If say we trade in another late first for say our second next year and second the year after to a desperate club we may take ourselves out of the draft after next but it gives us a lot of option.

ps if we still have pick 11 please bid on every player they can as long as we know they will match it is time teams are forced to pay fair value for a player or get rid of discount all together.

Last edited:
Next year depending on trad ins-out etc is a massive opportunity to trade later picks for higher ones for clubs that will need points or want to avoid using a first rounder to match.

If say we trade in another late first for say our second next year and second the year after to a desperate club we may take ourselves out of the draft after next but it gives us a lot of option.

ps if we still have pick 11 please bid on every player they can as long as we know they will match it is time teams are forced to pay fair value for a player or get rid of discount all together.

I’m not sure we’d want to trade out of the 2021 draft. Early thoughts are that it’s quite a talented crop.

I like just perpetually turning the picks into better value. To me it’s better strategy for clubs up the top than the bundle and shoot strategy’s of clubs down the bottom.

This year Adel offered us 22, 23 for 14. If we get a similar deal next year or one like Carl got then take that. Clubs who haven’t picked yet now seem always willing to pay overs for a pick in the very low 20s on their credit card. “Oh we had xyz ranked inside the top 12” keeps everyone happy

We take the 3 picks say 11, 17 and 23 netting another 3 quality players on top of Stephens and De Koning then trade the other for an extra first rounders in 2021. You don’t have the extreme high talent but taking 7 kids under pick 23 and 6 under 20 is good going.

I like just perpetually turning the picks into better value. To me it’s better strategy for clubs up the top than the bundle and shoot strategy’s of clubs down the bottom.

This year Adel offered us 22, 23 for 14. If we get a similar deal next year or one like Carl got then take that. Clubs who haven’t picked yet now seem always willing to pay overs for a pick in the very low 20s on their credit card. “Oh we had xyz ranked inside the top 12” keeps everyone happy

We take the 3 picks say 11, 17 and 23 netting another 3 quality players on top of Stephens and De Koning then trade the other for an extra first rounders in 2021. You don’t have the extreme high talent but taking 7 kids under pick 23 and 6 under 20 is good going.

Port apparently will be after picks... im sure they will not be the only ones...

Port Adelaide may look to snare 2020 first-round draft pick to more easily secure academy duo Taj Schofield, Lachlan Jones
After drafting Jackson Mead and Trent Burgoyne, Port Adelaide has access to two more academy players in 2020 – a father-son prospect and a defender it may want a first-round pick to secure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back