Jumper number changes

What is the thinking behind lower numbers being better?
1 Vlastuin
2 Grimes
3 Prestia
4 Martin

8 Riewoldt
9 Cotchin
10 Edwards

has a nice 'feel' to it

yeah but when did one decide it was so?

unless it's kinda like player rankings. so 1 = best, 2 = 2nd best etc

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
yeah but when did one decide it was so?

unless it's kinda like player rankings. so 1 = best, 2 = 2nd best etc

i dont know in soccer its positional

1 = gk
9 = striker

its different in south america/england etc. the history of afl numbering i have nfi. I thought giving the captian 17 was a bit odd. Im glad cotchin changed that

It would be nice to sort out the #5, #6, #7, long term ... best of luck to ellis, grigg, butler

Its dumb its not like rugby or soccer where the numbers generally relate to your starting players.

Pick a number you like and stay with it

Personal preference I suppose. I know when we were kids the lower numbers were always more popular. Imagine getting a locker next to Dusty or Jack, would be invaluable to a young up and coming player

That said the club has that silly 'earn a lower number' policy. You earn the right to wear the jumper. Number shouldn't really matter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dec 28, 2007
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond 2019 Premiers
Stack said On Insta that he’s keeping 44.
#4 has always been my favourite number since i wore it for Richmond tech school team and always had favourites in 4
Hart , Raines , Dusty

But also love Stack in #44He would be mad to change it so happy with his call

Feb 13, 2011
AFL Club
Richmond
-Better locker position? same number as jr career? Same number as Idol/father/family member?

I think psychologically players associate the numbers above 40 with depth players. A smaller number might symbolise that you've made it. A larger number might subconsciously make you feel closer to being cut/dropped.

Lower numbers would be better for marketing purposes as well. I imagine its something player managers put more emphasis on than is necessary.

May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
#4 has always been my favourite number since i wore it for Richmond tech school team and always had favourites in 4
Hart , Raines , Dusty

But also love Stack in #44He would be mad to change it so happy with his call

This was a while ago on one of those “ask me anything” insta stories so I guess it could change and he may decide on a ‘lower’ number. I hope he keeps it as well.

I remember Hardwick making a big deal about it when he first got the gig, making it linked to seniority. No senior players in high numbers. No kids in low numbers.

I reckon its the link with juniors.

The junior club I’m involved with issue a set of jumpers to each team – numbered 1 to 22. #1 is the smallest jumper in the bag. #22 is the biggest. And unless you have an unusually high number of kids, or an unusually big kid, everyone plays in jumpers #1 to #22. There simply isn’t a jumper numbered 50.

The sentimental players will want the same number when they get to AFL. So more demand for lower numbers, and you're supposed to wait until you've proved yourself to get the number you want.

Not saying I agree with it. Personally, I reckon it's a bit dumb too, but that link to juniors might explain why it exists.

Oct 27, 2014
M15
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Bucks
#5 Pickett if he wants it
#6 Naish, easiest decision ever
#7 Empty
#16 Baker if he wants it
#20 Soldo if he wants it
#21 Towna or empty
#24 Empty
#30 First rounder (in honour of Bourke)
#33 Mac or draftee
#36 Moore or draftee
#37 The 'Gong or draftee
#39 Aarts or draftee

Leaving space in the #20's for movement when the CCJ's, Balta's, Garth's, Chol's, D E-S' and Miller's do their thing.

I would like to move CCJ, Balta, Garthy and Chol up but they haven't quite done enough I think. Also, I have a feeling Noah or CCJ might get Jack's #8 one day. Same with Rossy not moving - I think he might eventually get Cotchin's #9.

The high-numbered Premiership players should keep those numbers but they can move up if they like.

I've left 7 for the Maurice jr arrival because that would be incredible

Last edited:
i dont know in soccer its positional

1 = gk
9 = striker

its different in south america/england etc. the history of afl numbering i have nfi. I thought giving the captian 17 was a bit odd. Im glad cotchin changed that

It would be nice to sort out the #5, #6, #7, long term ... best of luck to ellis, grigg, butler

Well not really positional. Players can wear any number in soccer. In the past, ancient past, numbers were positional yes.

#5 Pickett if he wants it
#6 Naish, easiest decision ever
#7 Empty
#16 Baker if he wants it
#20 Soldo if he wants it
#21 Towna or empty
#24 Empty
#30 First rounder (in honour of Bourke)
#33 Mac or draftee
#36 Moore or draftee
#37 The 'Gong or draftee
#39 Aarts or draftee

Leaving space in the #20's for movement when the CCJ's, Balta's, Garth's, Chol's, D E-S' and Miller's do their thing.

I would like to move CCJ, Balta, Garthy and Chol up but they haven't quite done enough I think. Also, I have a feeling Noah or CCJ might get Jack's #8 one day. Same with Rossy not moving - I think he might eventually get Cotchin's #9.

The high-numbered Premiership players should keep those numbers but they can move up if they like.

I've left 7 for the Maurice jr arrival because that would be incredible
I would tend to think that Maurice jr would like one of his dads numbers. 27 would seem right. Ross may well move to a single digit

Wrenny

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 8, 2003
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Liverpool FC
Looks like Balta is getting a new number.
Our new boy Noah Cumberland has #38 on his instagram.
Screenshot_20191202-120628_Instagram.jpg

Mar 9, 2007
Way over yonder across the hill
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Burnie United FC, Cheddar AFC
I want 7 to go to an established player. Too much s**t history giving it to developing kids.

Graham or Pickett would be my choices based on who might be moving up.
I don't think Graham will change. 34 is a good number.

Back