2020 Consensus 22: name the team FFS

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The Carlton Consensus Best 22 is returning for the 2020 season. After a stellar 3 threepeat from Matty411 I’ve been passed the baton & hopefully won’t drop the ball too often.

We’ve endured the highs & lows of the FA, DFA, trade & draft periods & come out the other end with a complete list of 45 players; 39 on the senior list, 5 Cat A rookies & Owies the Cat B.

There were 9 changes to the final list from 2019 compared to this time last year, plus a couple of mid-season retirements:

Departed: D Thomas, A Fasolo, M Lobbe, J Garlett, A Schumacher, P Kerr, A Phillips, K LeBois, J Pickett, T Bugg, J Deluca*.

New/returned/off-LTI Blues: S Docherty**, M Gibbons*, M Cottrell*, J Deluca*, E Betts, J Newnes, M Pittonet, J Martin, B Kemp, S Philp, S Ramsay, J Honey, F Phillips.

*Joined the list after the previous consensus 22. Deluca obviously signing on and being delisted in the same period.
**Docherty removed from the LTI list!

Last year Matty said 2019 “…looms as the most interesting, open and contentious Best 22 selection process yet for our club – a shining indication of the excellent young list we’re building.”

I’d say 2020 takes that a couple of steps further and there will be some bloody unlucky players to miss out this year. This will undoubtedly be the hardest to date.

For those new to this thread, here’s out it goes down:

The Rules
We will be choosing the best available 22 players to hypothetically line up for Round 1, 2020 against the Tigers at the MCG – essentially, our best starting team on paper. We’ll go through each area of the ground: first the defenders; then the mids (and ruck); then our forwards; and finally the makeup of our bench and emergencies.

As always, we have to use a few assumptions as guides:

1. All players will be fit and eligible for the round one side, this includes Charlie, Harry, Caleb & Brodie (hopefully no one else deserves mention here).
2. We will need a healthy balance of players in each part of the ground i.e. balance of talls/smalls to make a realistic starting side. You must nominate a genuine ruckman in the midfield group.
3. There are no indiscretions among players leading to disqualification from selection
4. Rookies [A + B] can be selected – any player on our current list of 44
5. You should independently choose who you believe will be the best players in each respective position to help us win Round 1 against the old enemy – and likely to continue to be a big part of our team for 2020

Here’s the results of the previous couple of years so we can track our evolution:

Consensus 2018 Lineup
FB: Ciaran Byrne (98) - Liam Jones (156) - Lachie Plowman (161)
HB: Caleb Marchbank (164) - Jacob Weitering (156) - Kade Simpson (150)
C: Sam Petrevski-Seton (175) - Ed Curnow (157) - Marc Murphy (175)
HF: Charlie Curnow (150) - Levi Casboult (108) - Jarrod Pickett (143)
FF: Matthew Wright (119) - Harry McKay (101) - Jack Silvagni (135)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (181) - Patrick Cripps (183) - Matthew Kennedy (177)
I: Tom Williamson (76) - David Cuningham (67) - Zac Fisher (64) - Paddy Dow (67)
EMG: Darcy Lang (66) - Jarrod Garlett (39) - Aaron Mullett (19)

Consensus 2019 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman (121) - Liam Jones (110) - Kade Simpson (146)
HB: Tom Williamson (105) - Jacob Weitering (150) - Caleb Marchbank (151)
C: Marc Murphy (99) - Ed Curnow (104) - Zac Fisher (118)
HF: Mitch McGovern (147) - Charlie Curnow (149) - S. Petrevski-Seton (114)
FF: Will Setterfield (53) - Harry McKay (149) - Alex Fasolo (116)
R: Matthew Kreuzer (132) - Patrick Cripps (152) - Paddy Dow (144)
I: Nic Newman (87) - Matthew Kennedy (87) - Jarrod Pickett (51) - Sam Walsh (40)
EMG: Lochie O'Brien (17) - Dale Thomas (8) - David Cuningham (6) - Tomas Bugg (2)

Consensus 2020 Lineup
FB: Lachie Plowman (97%), Liam Jones (99%), Kade Simpson (78%)
HB: Sam Docherty (97%), Jacob Weitering (99%), Caleb Marchbank (74%)
C: Sam Walsh (99%), Patrick Cripps (99%), Will Setterfield (97%)
HF: Mitch McGovern (96%), Harry McKay (99%), Jack Martin (94%)
FF: Eddie Betts (98%), Charlie Curnow (97%), David Cuningham (80%)
FOL: Matthew Kreuzer*, Ed Curnow (96%), Marc Murphy (96%)
INT: Sam Petrevski-Seton (63%), Jack Silvagni (53%), Zac Fisher (69%), Jack Newnes (32%)

EMG: Nic Newman (61%), Matthew Kennedy (22%), Michael Gibbons (30%), Levi Casboult*

Honourable mentions: Tom Williamson (DEF 25%), Paddy Dow (MID 29%), Lachie O'Brien (MID 19%)

On field changes from last years Consensus 22:

IN: Sam Docherty, David Cuningham, Jack Silvagni, Jack Martin, Eddie Betts, Jack Newnes
OUT: Nic Newman, Paddy Dow, Matthew Kennedy, Alex Fasolo, Jarrod Pickett, Tom Williamson

Voting
1. We will vote for the 6 best backs (starters) and your rotation player for bench spot #1 - VOTING CLOSED
2. We will vote for the 6 starting forwards and your rotation player for get bench spot #2 - VOTING CLOSED
3. We will then vote for 5 starting mids and your rotation midfielders for bench spots #3 & #4 - VOTING CLOSED
4. We'll then have a quick vote for the ruckman. - VOTING CLOSED - pretty sure we can just give it to Kreuzer
5. The emergencies will be the 8th ranked player for each position including the highest voted non-22 ruck-capable player .
6. Players will be ruled out for following position/s once successful in a particular area of the ground of account of us not being able to have two of the same player.

Last edited:
Voting
1. We will vote for the 6 best backs (starters) and your rotation player for bench spot #1
2. We will vote for the 6 starting forwards and your rotation player for get bench spot #2
3. We will then vote for 6 starting mids (including one ruckman) and your rotation midfielder for bench spot #3
4. Remaining interchange position (22nd spot) will be open slather depending on team mix, whilst the next three players will make up our emergencies.

Can I just make a suggestion in order to get a more realistic 22?
The (1st) ruckman should not be included as a mid. So then you have 1 ruck and 7 backs, mids, forwards (which is how we pick our team).

Or if you want to have a genuinely open (utility) 4th interchange spot, then go for 6 forwards & 7 (non-ruck) mids.

LOL, who didn't pick Plow?

I picked Plow. But it's not totally beyond conjecture. Well, probably for Rd1 he is a certainty.

But a bit longer term i see Plow and Marchy going head to head for the 6th spot in our backline. I couldn't squeeze Marchy in this Rd1 team but i think Marchy is the better player, but Plow has the spot now. His 2nd half of the season dictates that.

I picked Plow. But it's not totally beyond conjecture. Well, probably for Rd1 he is a certainty.

But a bit longer term i see Plow and Marchy going head to head for the 6th spot in our backline. I couldn't squeeze Marchy in this Rd1 team but i think Marchy is the better player, but Plow has the spot now. His 2nd half of the season dictates that.

I think they both play in our back 6, and are not competing for the same spot.
Marchy is a legit 3rd tall.
Plow gets the s**t jobs.

Can I just make a suggestion in order to get a more realistic 22?
The (1st) ruckman should not be included as a mid. So then you have 1 ruck and 7 backs, mids, forwards (which is how we pick our team).

Or if you want to have a genuinely open (utility) 4th interchange spot, then go for 6 forwards & 7 (non-ruck) mids.
Agree, 7+7+7+1 makes sense. Voting critera adjusted.

I'm also doing the mid+ruck group last this year to see if it avoids the dilemas of trying to fit all the 'leftover' mids into fwd pockets or flanks.

Its a tough pick for that last spot. So tempted to not pick Marchy to fit all of Newy, Simmo and SPS in down back. But March at 100% fitness is Best 22. He just is. So for now, hard as it was, I've kept SPS out with a spot for him in the midfield. Simmo and Newy were outstanding in the run home so deserve the respect of a starting spot and Doc comes back in without question.

Would love to also fit Willo in and imagine at times this year, we'll have all of Doc, Simmo, Newy, SPS and Willo in the side (with any luck).

Also don't mind Stamos' suggestion, CJMB of picking the sole ruck as an aside. Though its usally pretty obvious just the one ruck will be taken and having that last spot for best available is hand - particularly if a surprise misses out.

I think they both play in our back 6, and are not competing for the same spot.
Marchy is a legit 3rd tall.
Plow gets the s**t jobs.

They both have some versatility. At the end of the day a couple miss out from our group of about 9 who can play there.

If Marchy is the legit 3rd tall(i agree) then Doc or Willo could get the s**t jobs and we add some more run with it.

All is debateable. But Plow has a spot right now for mine.

My 7 were: Weiters, Jones, Plow, Doc, Samo, Simpson, Willo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They both have some versatility. At the end of the day a couple miss out from our group of about 9 who can play there.

If Marchy is the legit 3rd tall(i agree) then Doc or Willo could get the s**t jobs and we add some more run with it.

I love Willo, and cannot wait for him to be in the team.
But at this stage, after missing 2 years of footy, I can't be picking him yet.
This may change after the pre-season games.

And that's pretty much how it's shaping up now...
Weiters 100%
Doc 100%
Jones 100%
Plow 88%
Simmo 85%
Marchbank 77%
Samo 62%
Newman 54%
Willo 31%

Couldn’t be happier that we have 7-10 very solid defenders to choose from.

I’ve included Marchy in mine because he is a must IMO when playing against teams like West Coast and GWS who play 3 genuine talls.

Cameron v Jones
Himmelberg v Weitering
Finlayson v Marchbank
Greene v Plowman
Daniels v Samo
Resting MID v Docherty
Lloyd v Simo

Also, as per all training reports, Samo is playing back this year.
Yeah it seems that way, but i'd prefer Newman, Doch and Simmo all in the side still. If SPS is back there, one of them probably has to come out, would be Newman at the start of the year and maybe progress to Simmo by the end of the year if he is out of action.

B: Marchbank Jones Plowman
HB: Docherty Weitering SPS
IC: Williamson

Simmo & Newman unlucky to miss and are very handy backups.

SPS Jones Plowman
Docherty Weitering Williamson
Simpson

Reckon SPS is a must with ball in hand exiting defence.

Just love Williamson, he’s just got “IT”

At the half way point last season i would’ve had Marchbank ahead of Plowman.
But to his credit, Plowman really tightened up his game, started making better decisions and hitting targets.

Probably the toughest area of the ground to pick at this stage.

Realistically there are 8 to choose from and I am struggling to bring that down to 7.

1. Jones
2. Weitering
3. Plowman
4. Docherty

Those four pick themselves IMO.

5. SPS

We are clearly looking at SPS off half back though I maintain long-term he'll be moved back into the midfield where I think we'll see his best footy.

6. Marchbank
7. Simpson
8. Newman

One of these three have to miss out here and I am just not comfortable splitting them at this stage.

- Marchbank is a clear best 22 player but we haven't seen the best of him yet due to injury and I fear we never will.
- Simmo, this is the closest I have been to advocating for him not being there in over a decade. A stalwart, the end is nigh, but I cannot quite get my head around him not being there if he is fit.
- Newman was the surprise packet of 2019 for many, but not for me. I was very vocal in this thread last year in that he will be a part of our best side, and he had a very good debut season in navy blue. Not sure he is a lock, but also not sure he will be squeezed out as many are suggesting.

Hmmm....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back