Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Remove this Banner Ad

DocRamsayDec2.jpg

WalshDec2.jpg

Setters1Dec2.jpg

Thanks windows1. This is going to be a VERY exciting pre-season. Let me be clear - the ONLY thing I desperately wish for is health. I’m not asking for any more than that - just give us a good run with injuries for once & let the players develop.

Generally takes about 3 years/50 games for players to truly break out - plus the growing cohesion of our particularly young list - and as a result I expect there to be a few players who completely jump out of the back.

Delighted to consider Walsh, Setterfield, Fisher and Weitering the first wave. Would love to see similar progress from Dow, Cuningham, SPS, LOB, Marchbank and Kennedy. Just want Williamson to stay healthy and give him time. And I don’t just want - but I NEED - Docherty to stay healthy. He bloody deserves it and he is an absolute freak.

It’s a shame that the duo who will define our side & give us our most dominant edge - C Curnow & to a lesser extent McKay - are battling injury. Might be a blessing to force the rest of the team to develop properly around them, rather than rely on their freakish game-winning ability.

Bring on 2020.

Willo fully involved. Probably unfairly left off my summary. He looks terrific. Running much better than this time last year. No holding back on him now. Will be pushing hard for a spot.

Dow I just barely bothered with because he was just Dow. Did s**t in the runs as per usual. Terrific hands below knees as per usual. Terrific burst as per usual. I never even saw him kick it on his right foot weirdly. Did a few blazes out of packs on his left and otherwise handballed. Looked small as per usual. I dunno. Wait and see I guess. He has some wonderful tools. May take a number of years to see him in full bloom. I’m pretty disappointed in his running. Was hoping to see the same type of lift in performance we saw from SPS and SOS last year but it hasn’t happened. Don’t really get it myself. If I was Dow I reckon I’d myself ragged in the off season. Maybe he has and it hasn’t translated.

Yeah, I don't understand his poor endurance either. Comes across as a guy who takes care of his body, given the low bodyfat %. But perhaps this is just his natural state.

I also don't remember endurance being a significant weakness of his around draft time, although it seens he was injured and didn't test. Never a strength, certainly.

Oh well, one can only hope he is doing the necessary background work.

Yeah Samo is 100% playing off half back in 2020. Not sure what it means for Simmo, Newy and to a lesser extent Plow/Marchy/Doc but we'll have some real options back there this year. That's not even mentioning Willo.
Agree with this. It seems fixed that they want to give him the ball coming out of the back half.

Yeah, I don't understand his poor endurance either. Comes across as a guy who takes care of his body, given the low bodyfat %. But perhaps this is just his natural state.

I also don't remember endurance being a significant weakness of his around draft time, although it seens he was injured and didn't test. Never a strength, certainly.

Oh well, one can only hope he is doing the necessary background work.
At one point last year he compared his running to Cripps. He’s kidding himself. Crippa flogged him today.

Gonna spend a lot of time in the VFl if you’re a Carlton kid who can’t two way run.

Im also looking at you Liam Stocker. That running effort today was a joke.

We are back, baby!

2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

View attachment 787862
Tom De Koning checks out the long drop from the clouds at preseason training.

Player Name: Tom De Koning

Guernsey #: 12

Nickname/s: TDK, The King

2019 Senior Games: 0

Key VFL Stats: Disposals: 116 (10.5) Marks: 40 (3.6) Contested possessions: 67 (6.1) Hitouts: 136 (12.4) Tackles: 21 (1.9) Clearances: 28 (2.5)

Height: 203

Weight: 97

Injury concerns: Nil

Primary Role: Ruck

Best 22 Status: Developing/Fringe

Strengths: Aerial ability, athleticism, X-factor, competitiveness

Weaknesses: Developing frame, ruck craft

What they said: VFL Senior Coach Josh Fraser on The King’s ability to step up in the ruck in 2019: “The last month has been really encouraging from a consistency point-of-view,” Fraser said. “He’s got a real athletic ability around the ruck contest.

“He’s a competitor, that’s one of his traits and characteristics.”

The 411: There wouldn’t be more excitement for a player with zero 2019 games to their name than there is for Tom De Koning. After being blooded in 2018, injury and opportunity contained the man with the giant leap to the VFL this season. Still, his highlight real and plaudits from coaches were enough to give both the coaching staff and fans real hype for the future. After re-signing last year, the club made sure they secured the baby-faced ruckman until the end of 2021 – such was their faith in his ability.

Bigfooty best case: The club has shown a ton of faith in TDK in letting Phillips and Lobbe go – leaving just three big men on the list for 2020 and beyond. Blues fans will be hoping to see De Koning get a good run over the summer and hit 2020 with full stride. He’ll get more time in the middle, which – at 20 years old – should see his development fast-track to where the club sees him in the medium-term future i.e. as the heir apparent to Matty Kreuzer upon his retirement. With Charlie and Harry touch and go for Round 1 – we may not have to wait long at all to see the 203cm blonde bombshell don the Navy Blue on the big stage. Here’s hoping.

Next up: Liam Stocker
Moved well today Matty. Me likey. Just keeping watch on him out of the corner of my eye at the moment...

Yeah Samo is 100% playing off half back in 2020. Not sure what it means for Simmo, Newy and to a lesser extent Plow/Marchy/Doc but we'll have some real options back there this year. That's not even mentioning Willo.

It means when everyone is fit

Doc, Jones, Plow
Marchy, Weiters, Samo

everyone else battling for the 7th defenders' spot

All I want for Xmas is for Docherty to get through the pre-season.

It's easy to forget just how much better organised we are with him in the back-line.
Petrevski-Seton will have every right to feel confident with Docherty by his side.
I like the way he’s going about it. Involved now in all drills but modifying the way he goes about it. I sat in front of him when he and a trainer were discussing movement techniques.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1575255807792.png
Samo has been watching lots of 80s Kylie video clips...
....and is now into arm warmers

1575255876428.png
Not so easy doing the Tayla Harris pose after an ACL or two...

1575255930349.png
There is nothing specifically outstanding about this photo, yet somehow it's brilliant
I think its because Sam knows how to get from photo to op to photo op so easily...

1575256106443.png
Sometimes Ikon Park gets tilted off the earth's access

1575256229369.png
Kemp was told NOT to taunt Fisher and Gibbons with a game of keepings off.....

1575256569941.png
Does Setters look like George Harrison here?
#WhileMyStigOharaGentlyWeeps

1575256634774.png
Did Willo accidentally start following Simmo's diet and weights program?

1575256682384.png
Not enough love for this photo...

1575256722535.png
We have installed the Carlton hovercraft tech into Jack Martin's shoes
Hopefully has a happier ending...

1575256785303.png
LOB accumulating another uncontested photo....

1575256827858.png
Has Josh Honey been wearing Eddie shorts for the last year?
Have his thighs ever seen sun? #WhiteHoney

1575256879777.png
Oh yeeeeeahhhh, Darcy Lang is on our list....
Huh?! Fancy that...

Last edited:
1575257033328.png
OK, I got the ball in my hand, NOW what do I do?
I'm TOTALLY freaking out!

1575257080169.png
Coz it's Eddie in a Carlton top....

1575257111070.png
Inverted brackets ) (

1575257151650.png
I could write Finbar O'Dwyer's name all day long.
Finbar. Finbar. Finbar. Finbar. Finb......oops, sorry

1575257235503.png
windows1, stop looking at your phone!

Last edited:
100 percent. As with setters. Going to be VERY tough at selection now. Really tough. You REALLY want Cripps Setters and Walsh in there now. Yet what to do with Murph and Ed? One can rotate but then what? And if you 50/50 wing/middle them then it pushes the wing rotations around.

My bet is they haven’t got set ideas on that yet. Just a desire to get Setters and Walsh in the thick of it.

Maybe Bolton was onto something (albeit 12 months early)

100 percent. As with setters. Going to be VERY tough at selection now. Really tough. You REALLY want Cripps Setters and Walsh in there now. Yet what to do with Murph and Ed? One can rotate but then what? And if you 50/50 wing/middle them then it pushes the wing rotations around.

My bet is they haven’t got set ideas on that yet. Just a desire to get Setters and Walsh in the thick of it.

Yeah because you only have 3 midfielders......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back