Player Watch Jay Rantall (Delisted 2021)

Aug 31, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
14917B0B-6FF4-4045-8E7C-29DC401DD1C4.png

Interesting that Howe and his partner hosted dinner with Jay.

Great leadership from Howe.

Came in at 6.08 (as did Phillips only a metre behind him). Exceptional effort for a new recruit!

Steele was 6.20, Kelly 6.26, Murphy 6.28, Lynch 6.30
He has to be exceptional given he ran 5:50 on the same track 2 months ago. Going on that you would reckon he may have been keeping a bit in reserve today. New kid probably doesnt want to burn the incumbent champ on the 1st day just serve him notice he no longer holds the crown.

With a 5:50 in the bank recently we know he can go a lot faster than he did today. That is a beautiful thought.

Jun 8, 2008
Victoria
AFL Club
Collingwood
Highly likely to be related to John Rantall. John is from Cobden and currently lives near Warrnambool, where Jay is from. Jay's family are all Swans fans -John Rantall played over 200 games for South Melbourne.

Are you sure? I've played footy with some of Jay's relatives and randomly they're actually Brisbane Lions fans, which I think may have been the case for Jay as well. Haven't heard of the John Rantall link.

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Are you sure? I've played footy with some of Jay's relatives and randomly they're actually Brisbane Lions fans, which I think may have been the case for Jay as well. Haven't heard of the John Rantall link.
This article says that he was a Swans fan: https://www.standard.net.au/story/6082892/jay-dreaming-of-football-success-with-rebels/
1575258349788.png

I can't access that article now but it may be the one I read where he says that "his father made them all barrack for Sydney". Taking that, and the fact that his family and John Rantall hail from the same region into account it does seem reasonable to think they may be closely related, but because nothing at all has come out about it since Jay was drafted it makes me think they probably aren't!

Last edited:
May 25, 2006
Beach
AFL Club
Collingwood
This article says that he was a Swans fan: https://www.standard.net.au/story/6082892/jay-dreaming-of-football-success-with-rebels/
View attachment 787955
I can't access that article now but it may be the one I read where he says that "his father made them all barrack for Sydney". Taking that, and the fact that his family and John Rantall hail from the same region into account it does seem reasonable to think they may be closely related, but because nothing at all has come out about it since Jay was drafted it makes me think they probably aren't!

Doesn’t mean they aren’t distantly related....

35Daicos

Premium Platinum
Mar 6, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood (VFL), Man Utd.
Doesn’t mean they aren’t distantly related....
Absolutely! They may well be, Timmy! If there was much of a connection I would have thought the Warrnambool paper, in an article about a talented young local footballer (who's last name is Rantall, and where it mentions that he barracks for the Swans), would have included something about the famous John Rantall.

Last edited:

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
So we calling Rantall, Mopsy?

nah, he can have his own nickname.

View attachment 787955

Hang on. Ex-basketballer. Discussing Pendles? Has he lived overseas?

Nuwanda

Cancelled
Nov 21, 2018
AFL Club
Collingwood
Absolutely! They may well be, Timmy! If there was much of a connection I would have thought the Warrnambool paper, in an article about a talented young local footballer (who's last name is Rantall, and where it mentions that he barracks for the Swans), would have included something about the famous John Rantall.
I remember as a kid John Rantall worked at Levi’s Jeans in Malvern. I’d go in as a 5 yr old and ask for a free Levi’s sticker Every so often. I’d thought I was ‘smart’ because I’d say ‘peas can I have a sticker’. One day when he was handing it over he asked me to say ‘please’ again! I sure enough stopped being a smart arse with him from that day on. I s**t myself!

Jelly Bean

Premiership Player
Dec 12, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
He has to be exceptional given he ran 5:50 on the same track 2 months ago. Going on that you would reckon he may have been keeping a bit in reserve today. New kid probably doesnt want to burn the incumbent champ on the 1st day just serve him notice he no longer holds the crown.

With a 5:50 in the bank recently we know he can go a lot faster than he did today. That is a beautiful thought.

Are we sure it was the same track? Maybe they measured it out differently - I doubt he left 15 seconds in the tank when he was very closely pursued by Phillips the whole way.

Are we sure it was the same track? Maybe they measured it out differently - I doubt he left 15 seconds in the tank when he was very closely pursued by Phillips the whole way.
Definitely the same track, see the video. Wrong measure doubtful. I think you can leave 15 sec in the tank and do enough. What you cant do is find 15 sec when you have been near maxed out in the past. On the priviso the 5:50 is true and correct don't think Phillips can get near Rantall when they are both flat chat.

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Wow. For Rantall to win the 2km time trial on his FIRST day at the club is pretty darn impressive.
Dare I say it, but it provides a ray of hope going forward. ;)

I think Steele and Phillips also won it on their 1st preseason? It definitely favors the younger guys who don't have much upper body weight yet.

This guy will be best 22 from round 1 I reckon and play the whole year, endurance like that is a rare and exciting weapon. This'll be one we look back on and wonder how did he last until 40

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Does he have a spot in our best 22 round 1? Perhaps he could start as a high-leading half forward initially? Have him work on his kicking when he has little pressure, also he can focus on his delivery inside 50.

Does he have a spot in our best 22 round 1? Perhaps he could start as a high-leading half forward initially? Have him work on his kicking when he has little pressure, also he can focus on his delivery inside 50.
I don't know about the leading, the footage was pretty Treloar-esque - but with endurance rather than burst speed.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
I'm a little more cautious on this one. Pick 40, average / below average height, solid inside / solid outside, probably average pace, one terrific weapon of endurance, below average kicking.

Doesn't scream certainty to me.

The nature of the draft is that outside of maybe the top 5 there are no certainties. Once you get down to 40 it’s slim pickings so the value is in finding guys with a solid base and standout traits. I haven’t seen enough to be absolutely certain on these, but I’m quite confident endurance is one, ball winning another and spatial awareness (due to his bball background).

If the lack of time in the elite pathways is a contributing factor to his inconsistent skills and they can be improved with time then there’s a lot to work with.

No, not without a number of injuries.

Saintly Viewed

30k Posts 10k Posts Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies - Brayden Sier 2019 Player Sponsor Collingwood - Jaidyn Stephenson Player Sponsor 2018 Collingwood Board Goal Kicking Tip Comp Collingwood - Matthew Scharenberg Player Sponsor 2017 Shiny Penny
Aug 10, 2015
AFL Club
Collingwood
He comes across very well, very focussed on doing everything required, and more.
quite endearing the way he sort of sways and moves about when he talks.

wont leave anything out, to get the best out of himself.

Back