Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
So my NFL team is complete s**t this season and even though AFL has barely begun their offseason I’m already ready to turn my attention south, to the glorious outback.

I was hoping you all would be gracious enough to regale this yank with the greatest stories and events of recent Demon history. What’s noteworthy? What should every demon fan know? Hopefully there’s video proof to go along with your tales, but if not, I’m prepared to take your word for it (especially so if PG will underwrite it).

I may also ask for a top ten list of the greatest MFC games of the last 20-30 years while we’re at it, so feel free to have that in mind while you search for your memories.

Thanks in advance!

AmericanAFL

Cancelled
Shiny Penny
Oct 8, 2018
Near Philly
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Philadelphia Eagles
As a new fan, this was my favorite moment:

Attachments

• 4A02F7E2-28E4-4864-A2C8-36CC6B0DC483.png
    4A02F7E2-28E4-4864-A2C8-36CC6B0DC483.png
    3 MB · Views: 144
Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
The outsiders perspective. We have had the wood over you for most of this period, but a couple of efforts jump out at me.

You gave us a fair old touch up in the 2000 prelim, with Jeff Farmer producing one of the great Dees finals performances of this era.

Allan Jakovich's 11 goals in 1991 was also one right out of the box.

Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
Hi there AmericanAFL.

I have no doubt you will be provided with some good historical epic moments.

Just so that you can really feel like a demon fan, I wondered if you had ever come across this?

This is an all time classic summary of the years between 07 and 17 - it’s actually quite an achievement in disastrous failure so vast as to achieve a strange kind of grandeur

Jeff Farmers 9 goals in a half vs Collingwood on Queens Bday game (Marquee game in our fixture). Reportedly didn't get a touch in the first half. Coach benched him before half time and took his name off the board (not going to play him again for the day). There was an injury which forced his inclusion and he did this.

I wouldn't watch the whole game. Maybe the last quarter. But the last minute was one of my favorite moments, both at the ground but also on TV with the footage of Jim Stynes (president) with Austin Wonaeamirri's father (from remote Tiwi Islands).

mrmonkey

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 3, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Round 20 - 22 2005. By round 12, 2005 Melbourne sat 2nd on the ladder with a 9-3 record. Seven rounds later the dees had slumped to 9-10 and looking like missing the finals from virtually being a lock. The dees in round 20 faced a seemingly impossible task of beating Geelong at kardinia park something we hadn't done since 1988, we win by a point. Then we faced a doggies who were storming into finals contention after a slow start to the season. The game looked over when the doggies got out to about a 4 goal lead. We came back, first great moment aaron davey slowly creeping in from the side to smother a defensive clearing kick from adam Cooney I think. This caused a boundary throw in deep in our forward line. As the dees had all the momentum the bulldogs rucks had a panic moment, Jeff white contesting the ruck had his run impeded. Something I'll never forget and one of my favourite moment was watching Jeff white slot the goal from the free kick. Round 22 should have been a relatively easy game, we had Essendon who were rubbish back then, of course nothings easy especially after two tough games. We got the job done only just and thanks to a russle robertson sealer where the ball took a leg break or bounced sharply left in the goal square. After all that we ended up getting pumped in the elimination final, we really played 3 elimination finals before hand so unfortunately it was just too much. Having said that I would recommend you YouTube that Sydney vs geelong 05 semi final just the last 5 to 10 minutes probably one of my favourite finals moment.

Bring back Drum

Mundy4Hundy
Jul 8, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
Apologies if it is out of the timeframe.

1987, Dees great run to the finals with so much going on. From this game when Garry Lyon broke his leg & Melbourne relying on other results to scrape into the finals.

Smashing North Melbourne, then Sydney & finally the Prelim with Jimmy running through the mark v the Hawks.

It was a fairytale run with a s**t ending but great theatre.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Feb 15, 2015
South Yarra
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Mt Buller Demons
He should have finished as an all time great. AmericanAFL this seems like it's just his best stuff, he only played 30 odd games. This was him always. Complete freak.
I’d forgotten how quick he was. Massive strides that made it look like he was running in slow motion, but he would just get away from anyone chasing.

Apologies if it is out of the timeframe.

1987, Dees great run to the finals with so much going on. From this game when Garry Lyon broke his leg & Melbourne relying on other results to scrape into the finals.

Smashing North Melbourne, then Sydney & finally the Prelim with Jimmy running through the mark v the Hawks.

It was a fairytale run with a s**t ending but great theatre.

To be fair, it is probably one of the most memorable finals campaigns that didn’t result in a GF by any side.

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I’d forgotten how quick he was. Massive strides that made it look like he was running in slow motion, but he would just get away from anyone chasing.
I didn't remember him being especially quick either, I think he was even better than I remember lol. He was as quick as Hunt but could actually play footy.

Also nearly had a bit of a teary listening to spuds pure joy at his hanger, we all started watching this sport because of moments like that.
Spud just loses all professionalism as a commentator and reverts back to being that inner child in awe of what he's watching.
Bit sad we don't see as many forward half hangers these days

HANDSOLO

Club Legend
May 19, 2014
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Broncos
Watching those videos, even the ones from 08, it’s just so sad to see how we used to have actual skills

Meds

Club Legend
Nov 12, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Jim Stynes winning the 1991 Brownlow
Garry Lyon's 10 goal haul in the 1994 final against the Dogs
Shaun Smith's mark of the century v Brisbane 1995
Run to the 2000 Grand Final from 8th after Rd13 - beating reigning-premier, Carey-led North in the prelim (and that QF vs Carlton)
2005 winning in Geelong for the first time in something like 17 years. Robbo kicking 7 in a game we trailed by 5 goals at half time.
(Kardinia Park sub-plot; The game above followed by our darkest moment in 2011 losing by 186, and then the breakout game for our current group in 2015)
2017 AFLX premiership. :p

There's heaps more that will come to mind - but those are the ones I can recall easily that haven't been listed already

Back