2019 Financial Results

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
And where would they stay even if you could get them there, Perth and surrounding areas has 13k rooms accommodation for tourism. So if there was a 40% vacancy for that weekend for football fans that’s approximately 5k rooms available. Doesn’t come close.

I'll try & help you:

NEW HOTELS .
Since 2012, 35 new or redeveloped hotels have opened in and around Perth, adding more than 3,657 new rooms to the local market

By 2022, it is expected that a further 12 new hotels will come online, adding another 2,479 new rooms. Among the names still to come are the Ritz-Carlton, which will be its first Australian property in 10 years, and DoubleTree by Hilton Perth Waterfront and EQ West

Not sure WHY you didnt link, nor why you CHOSE to limit your self to Tourism accomodation.

Now that’s a poor reflection on yourself as you must be a liar. I have no need to BS, what’s the point, if you ever would like a link then ask politely and I may provide it. Otherwise find it yourself, it’s not that hard.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

The below table reconciles the Club’s profit result:
Total Profit for the year $2,980,693
Less: Redevelopment activities ($1,713,326)
Club profit for the year $1,267,367
Profit from discontinued gaming operations $1,430,579
Loss from continuing operations ($163,212)
- Less one-off expenses related to the divestment of gaming operations $174,016
Normalised profit for the year from continuing Club operations $10,804

Tiger Soze

Nov 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
It's if the AFL Commission want to be seen to be a true national comp and no just a heavily biased Victorian one.
Obviously they don’t share your sentiment.
I thought you guys might have been angling for a home grand final, but can you imagine the uproar if a Richmond v Collingwood Grand Final was played anywhere other then the MCG.
You guys need to get you head around the fact you are part of our competition, and it’s based in Victoria.

Last edited:
Obviously they don’t share your sentiment.
I thought you guys might have been angling for a home grand final, but can you imagine the uproar if a Richmond v Collingwood Grand Final was played anywhere other then the MCG.
You guys need to get you head around the fact you are part of our competition, and it’s base is Victoria.
No, I'm an Australian, not a Victorian, and I want the game and GF to be shared around Australia.

Home Grand final is just BS. You need years of forward planning, you just can't move that in 6 days.

I have my head around we joined a Vic competition. I want the AFL to stop bullshiting everyone and lying that it is the AFL and change its name back to the VFL.

And as a blinkered Victorian, what you don't understand is that the AFL took over the custodial powers of the game, when WAFC an SANFL agreed to sign affiliation agreements with the AFL to wind up the Australian National Football League in time for the Crawford Report recommendations to be implemented in 1993, so it is supposed to act as an Australian organisation, not a Victorian one.

What I want, is the AFL to be split in 2, and the the football league competition can be renamed the VFL and AFL Commission has the national custodial powers and move it out of Melbourne. And what I want you to get your head around is, that if it is still the VFL, then stop lobbying the federal government for federal funds to be given to a Victorian organisation.

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I have my head around we joined a Vic competition. I want the AFL to stop bullshiting everyone and lying that it is the AFL and change its name back to the VFL.

Why? The league has teams from across the country. Just because the majority of those teams are based in Victoria doesnt change the fact that there are teams and matches played across the rest of the country too.

And as a blinkered Victorian, what you don't understand is that the AFL took over the custodial powers of the game, when WAFC an SANFL agreed to sign affiliation agreements with the AFL to wind up the Australian National Football League in time for the Crawford Report recommendations to be implemented in 1993, so it is supposed to act as an Australian organisation, not a Victorian one.

And as a blinkered non victorian, its not that simple.

The AFL took that position by default when the ANFC abdicated its position after Victoria turned around and told them they didnt need the ANFC and were going to do what they wanted - nothing prevented the other states from maintaining the organisation without the VFL. The league is still going to act in accordance with its teams, members, players, recruits and audience - most of whom are still in and from Victoria.

What I want, is the AFL to be split in 2, and the the football league competition can be renamed the VFL and AFL Commission has the national custodial powers and move it out of Melbourne. And what I want you to get your head around is, that if it is still the VFL, then stop lobbying the federal government for federal funds to be given to a Victorian organisation.

And what I want is world peace and to end world hunger and to solve the middle east and to end racism and to go back in time and kill hitler and to have remote control flying fists....

Tiger Soze

Nov 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
No, I'm an Australian, not a Victorian, and I want the game and GF to be shared around Australia.

Home Grand final is just BS. You need years of forward planning, you just can't move that in 6 days.

No, I don’t need to get my head around anything as I like it just as it is and how it will stay for at least the next 38 years. 😂
MCG is the home of the AFL grand final.

Why? The league has teams from across the country. Just because the majority of those teams are based in Victoria doesnt change the fact that there are teams and matches played across the rest of the country too.

And as a blinkered non victorian, its not that simple.

The AFL took that position by default when the ANFC abdicated its position after Victoria turned around and told them they didnt need the ANFC and were going to do what they wanted - nothing prevented the other states from maintaining the organisation without the VFL. The league is still going to act in accordance with its teams, members, players, recruits and audience - most of whom are still in and from Victoria.

And what I want is world peace and to end world hunger and to solve the middle east and to end racism and to go back in time and kill hitler and to have remote control flying fists....
Why?? to open the eyes of a blinkered Victorian to see how dumb it is to think it is only a Victorian game.

And if want to change history, then make sure that idiot Serbian doesn't kill Archduke Ferdinand in 1914. The Archduke doesn't get shot, no WWI, it doesn't mean the Germans aren't left feeling resentment like they got screwed post armistice, so Hitler doesn't come to power, no WWII, no holocaust, no Cold War, no Space Race, nuclear bomb/power developments, computing developments, aircraft developments and other technology developments are 30-40 years behind where we are today, and the planet is about 1 degree cooler and we can start a true national competition and not an expanded Victorian one.

See how only changing 1 small thing has so much benefit.

Tiger Soze

Nov 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Why?? to open the eyes of a blinkered Victorian to see how dumb it is to think it is only a Victorian game.

See how only changing 1 small thing has so much benefit.

I think it’s pretty dumb to think the pinnacle of our game should be moved to a stadium where less people could attend.
And for what purpose, to appease a minority that insist the game is not a national competition until such a move is made.
Like I’ve said before, I haven’t heard any players suggest the grand final should be played away from the MCG. Have you?

Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I think it’s pretty dumb to think the pinnacle of our game should be moved to a stadium where less people could attend.
And for what purpose, to appease a minority that insist the game is not a national competition until such a move is made.
Like I’ve said before, I haven’t heard any players suggest the grand final should be played away from the MCG. Have you?

Ok we're moving a bit off topic here - my fault too - lets try and get it back to the finances thanks.

So why don't the NFL host every Super Bowl at Michigan Stadium each year - its neutral and can hold 107,600 people rather than in 2017 in Minneapolis which holds 66,600. Because its not all about maximum tickets sold.

Why do they take the game all around Australia and play it in places where only 5,000-8,000 people might turn up and watch? Because its not all about maximum tickets sold.

But, But ,But its the home of football in the sporting capital of the world ( never any metric shown to prove it). Well sometimes you have to grow up, leave home, and see the world.

Why appease 22,000 MCC members? What do they do for the game? Sure they pay off the debt on steel and concrete construction but how does that directly benefit the game?

Why not have 5 stadiums around the country that are in continual competition to host a GF and therefore continually being upgraded so they can win the hosting rights. The Tagliabue effect in the US has shown how great sharing the Super Bowl if for their comp and means spectators all around the country have access to great upgraded stadiums.

I have heard players say they don't care where they play the GF, they just want to play in one and win a flag.

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
Home Grand final is just BS.[?] You need years of forward planning, you just can't move that in 6 days.[?]
I have my head around we joined a Vic competition.
I agree with your earlier post that if other states have an oval stadium of at least 75,000, then they should be able to host an AFL GF (&, if Sydney & Brisbane had such 75,000 ovals, this would be of immense value for the growth of AF in the future). The proviso would be that there were 2 non-Vic. teams playing in the GF.

Culturally, there would be a massive furore if 2 Melb. teams had to travel interstate to play the GF (your proposal). This will never happen.

The approx. $8,000,000 (2019 $) loss of revenues for 25,000 fewer GF tickets should be paid by the non-Vic. State govt. to the AFL. The MCC would also need to be compensated by the AFL with 2 extra H & A games the following year.
Obviously, the MCC would need to agree to this, & a new contract made with the AFL asap.

Why could a GF not be transferred within 7 days to another State? Or even 14 days (if necessary) after the Preliminary Final?
Fans have less than a week to organise travel for other Finals.

Re airfare, accomodation & pricing issues for the visiting c. 20,000 fans, could a State govt. have the legal power over this? And is there legal power for GF legislation: all airline/bus/train tickets & all hotel & Airbnb tickets cannot be priced more than the average charged for the last month (price determined by the State govt.- indirectly similar to GF tickets anti-scalping legislation)?

Your "Vic. competition" slur is unfounded.
Vic.clubs (excluding Geelong) have lost their home ground advantage, cf the non-Victorian clubs, & are, therefore, significantly disadvantaged.

Non-Vic. teams have a good record of winning AFL GF's.

As for the AFL's "game custodial record" v. WAFL & SANFL, the latters' record are poor in comparison to the AFL because:-

. PS & AO current capacities are both too small- which have led to expensive H & A tickets. Crowds would be higher with cheaper tickets (GA $25 in Melb.).
My understanding is that, prior to 1987, the WAFL had average H & A crowds of c. 38,000 total pw; & the SANFL averaged c. 40,000 total pw.

The SANFL had a GF record crowd in 1976 of 66,897. The WAFL record GF was in 1979, 52,781 (Perth's pop. then was c. 750,000, current pop. is c. 2,100,000)
Both stadia should be at least 75,000- Perth probably 85,000.

. the WAFL & SANFL are custodians of the GR there, not the AFL. In comparison to Vic., per capita GR female club competition nos. are very poor in WA; & were very poor in SA until 2018 (SA has improved in 2019).

. Per capita of the WA & SA populations, AFL Draft quality (1-18) seems to have declined in recent years (anecdotal, I have not checked the data).

Last edited:

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
Doesn't look like anyone has picked this up yet but the pies have released information from their financial result

Highlights of Collingwood’s 2019 financial year include:
*Total club revenue of $72,558,512

*Net profit of $3,875,111

*Membership figure of 85,226 (75,736 in 2018)

*Average Home attendance for the year of 58,975 (49,898 in 2018)

*Collingwood’s net asset position is $44,723,579

We won't know until the annual report is released the relationship of this result to the sale of our pokies revenues but the net asset position has improved by $12 million despite the "net profits" increasing by under $4M

Presumably the extra $8 million improvement is due to sale of the pokies venues....though it could also relate to any grants received in relation to the "Victoria Sport medical and sports research centre"....either way obviously the above profit figure does not include this $8M

The revenue figure may include some period of ownership of the pokies venues....otherwise $72.6K is a very very healthy revenue sans pokies

(Log in to remove this ad.)

NoobPie

Cancelled
Sep 21, 2016
AFL Club
Collingwood
*Average Home attendance for the year of 58,975 (49,898 in 2018)

Whats behind the numbers Noob, very impressive.

A grand final year leading into it.....queens birthday as a home game. I would say they are the two big factors

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

Quick scan of the Saints numbers & I couldnt find mention of what was in it ($s) for the Saints to give up a home game for the China adventure.
Was it me, I'd have thought it'd be relevant in accounting terms. There was mention of a reduction in ground advertising income (one game) at Marvel Stadium, 100k.
Got to give it to the Saints faithful, its not a good look.

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
and since i got multiple requests on twitter Ill post it here too.

• as noted in the image - Victorian clubs at Docklands recieve signage and pourage rights, as well as stadium returns from the AFL and included outside the base distribution. Prize money is also separate where warranted. This would account for almost $30 million over this period.(based on the splits in Norths Annual Reports)
  • Melbourne clubs also benefit from a "blockbuster levy" which has been in place in one form or another since the VFL era to compensate for lack of return games against big clubs who are more or less gifted blockbuster matches by the league.
  • Finally note as well that the Saints figures include gate reciepts, and later on, "other income" in with its distributions, making this comparison a little off kilter.

The_Wookie don't mean to be a pain in the arse but in your graphics, the 2017 and 2018 base distribution for the small Vic clubs of $10,611,443 and $10,806,622 respectively is correct, but for the 2 new clubs you have $9,810,000 for 2017, and $10,800,000 for 2018.

I note that for the 2012-16 years you have the figure in the base column, is what the AFL called base + $1,200,000 the AFL call bonus TV distribution and paid to every club between the 2007-11 TV deal and continued that for the 2012-16 Tv deal. But its not there for 2017 and 2018.

That's why the $2,076,000 increase in the salary cap between 2016 and 2017 isn't reflect in the increase in base payments in your figures between 2016 and 2017. Take out $1.2m of TV bonus distribution in the 2016 figure and the increase between 2016 base and 2017 base is $8.188m to $10.611m ie $2.423, $0.347 over an above the TPP increase.

Do you know what happened to that $1.2m TV Bonus monies that the clubs got between 2007 and 2016 over 2 TV deals to reflect the increase in cash component over 2002-06 Tv deal???

Do you know if it has been scrapped or basically rolled over and included as part of the dis-equal payment??

The total distributions in the previous 3 years as reported in the annual reports cut and paste were

2016 Base $147,392,784 + TV Bonus $21,600,000 + Other $86,886,627 = Total $255,879,411

2017 The enhanced Club Funding Model $263.597m + Other $40.993 = $304.590m a $49.7m increase
TPP for the 18 clubs increased by $2.076m per club ie $37.368m in total from $186.642 to $224.011

2018 A base distribution to all clubs of $194.5m + variable distributions of $72.0m = $266.5m + Other $40.754m = Total $307.25m

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
The_Wookie don't mean to be a pain in the arse but in your graphics, the 2017 and 2018 base distribution for the small Vic clubs of $10,611,443 and $10,806,622 respectively is correct, but for the 2 new clubs you have $9,810,000 for 2017, and $10,800,000 for 2018.

I checked the data betweendoing the first one and the secondone - the second is more accurate.

I note that for the 2012-16 years you have the figure in the base column, is what the AFL called base + $1,200,000 the AFL call bonus TV distribution and paid to every club between the 2007-11 TV deal and continued that for the 2012-16 Tv deal. But its not there for 2017 and 2018.

That's why the $2,076,000 increase in the salary cap between 2016 and 2017 isn't reflect in the increase in base payments in your figures between 2016 and 2017. Take out $1.2m of TV bonus distribution in the 2016 figure and the increase between 2016 base and 2017 base is $8.188m to $10.611m ie $2.423, $0.347 over an above the TPP increase.

Do you know what happen to that $1.2m TV Bonus monies that the clubs got between 2007 and 2016 over 2 TV deals to reflect the increase in cash component over 2002-06 Tv deal???

Do you know if it has been scrapped or basically rolled over and included as part of the dis-equal payment??

I dont know to be honest, its just not mentioned, so I havent factored that in. I included it in the earlier ones, because all clubs received it. I assume it was rolled into the general funding to the clubs - which makes sense - I never understood why there was even a bonus payment made every year for 15 years.

The total distributions in the previous 3 years as reported in the annual reports cut and paste were

2016 Base $147,392,784 + TV Bonus $21,600,000 + Other $86,886,627 = Total $255,879,411

2017 The enhanced Club Funding Model $263.597m + Other $40.993 = $304.590m a $49.7m increase
TPP for the 18 clubs increased by $2.076m per club ie $37.368m in total from $186.642 to $224.011

2018 A base distribution to all clubs of $194.5m + variable distributions of $72.0m = $266.5m + Other $40.754m = Total $307.25m

I rushed these through this afternoon, but i removed variable distributions from this list, as well as other.

Apr 24, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
Quick scan of the Saints numbers & I couldnt find mention of what was in it ($s) for the Saints to give up a home game for the China adventure.
Was it me, I'd have thought it'd be relevant in accounting terms. There was mention of a reduction in ground advertising income (one game) at Marvel Stadium, 100k.
Got to give it to the Saints faithful, its not a good look.
I’ve heard we are receiving $650,000 for the China game not sure if accurate just what I’ve heard!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back