List Mgmt. Who is playing for their careers? 2020 edition.

Remove this Banner Ad

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
With our list for 2020 finalized this morning these are our OOC players for 2020.

Sam Skinner
Corey Lyons
Matt Eagles
Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison
Toby Wooller
Stef Martin
Grant Birchall
Mitchell Hinge
Ryan Lester
Allen Christensen

- Stef Martin at 33 now is a likely retirement IMO.
- Grant Birchall needs to show he is over is injuries or it'll be a 1 season cameo as a Lion.
- Corey Lyons after zero games in 3 years and Mitchell Hinge 2 games in 3 years need to play a substantial amount of games in the seniors to get retained, unlikely IMO.
- Ryan Lester retained purely for his leadership at NEAFL level IMO, he won't be on our list in 2021, young guys will go past him at a rapid rate.
- I'm confident Sam Skinner, Cedric Cox and Toby Wooller will show enough to get retained.
- Unfortunately I think 2020 will be Matty Eagles last year as a Lion, just can't see him getting a decent shot at it unless we get extensive injuries.
- Jacob Allison wont be a Lion in 2021.
- Allen Christensen the hardest one for me to predict, definitely needs to lock down a regular senior spot to be retained.

Going out on a limb a long way out I'll predict >

Retire- Grant Birchall, Stef Martin, Allen Christensen.
Retained- Toby Wooller, Cedric Cox, Sam Skinner.
Delisted- Jacob Allison, Matty Eagles, Ryan Lester, Corey Lyons, Mitchell Hinge.

I know it's typical for any AFL player in their early 30's to be close to retirement but there is nothing about Martins form that makes me think this next season will be his last. He was 7th in our B & F and it's hard to imagine he wouldn't be top ten again this next season.

Martin still looks super fit.. I say he go on if he wants to and form and injuries are ok.
Yes I say could be the last year for a number unless they get a chance. We also have a lot of kids from 2018 draft yet to play.

I know it's typical for any AFL player in their early 30's to be close to retirement but there is nothing about Martins form that makes me think this next season will be his last. He was 7th in our B & F and it's hard to imagine he wouldn't be top ten again this next season.
Could happen, I have been wrong before with my predictions.

Yeah, he's one of the fittest blokes at the club and he also had a late start to the game. I think it's year to year in terms of contract from here on in but wouldn't even think of putting a cap on him at this stage. As long as he stays as fit as he is and we're in finals contention I'm betting Stef will have a place at the club.

With our list for 2020 finalized this morning these are our OOC players for 2020.

Sam Skinner
Corey Lyons
Matt Eagles
Cedric Cox
Jacob Allison
Toby Wooller
Stef Martin
Grant Birchall
Mitchell Hinge
Ryan Lester
Allen Christensen

- Stef Martin at 33 now is a likely retirement IMO.
- Grant Birchall needs to show he is over is injuries or it'll be a 1 season cameo as a Lion.
- Corey Lyons after zero games in 3 years and Mitchell Hinge 2 games in 3 years need to play a substantial amount of games in the seniors to get retained, unlikely IMO.
- Ryan Lester retained purely for his leadership at NEAFL level IMO, he won't be on our list in 2021, young guys will go past him at a rapid rate.
- I'm confident Sam Skinner, Cedric Cox and Toby Wooller will show enough to get retained.
- Unfortunately I think 2020 will be Matty Eagles last year as a Lion, just can't see him getting a decent shot at it unless we get extensive injuries.
- Jacob Allison wont be a Lion in 2021.
- Allen Christensen the hardest one for me to predict, definitely needs to lock down a regular senior spot to be retained.

Going out on a limb a long way out I'll predict >

Retire- Grant Birchall, Stef Martin, Allen Christensen.
Retained- Toby Wooller, Cedric Cox, Sam Skinner.
Delisted- Jacob Allison, Matty Eagles, Ryan Lester, Corey Lyons, Mitchell Hinge.

Wow that’s another 8 list changes Jason. That’s a lot. Not that I disagree with most of what you’ve said. Im not certain Cox will make it, Lyons I think may get an opportunity and prove his worth. I have him in front of Matheison at the end of the 2019 season and depending on the ruck situation the club may look to retain Eagles as well. The rest I agree with.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

While I think that is true, I don’t think you plan for guys his age to go on longer than the next year. Not many players play beyond their early 30s and he’ll be one of the oldest players in the comp next year. Even though his form has been great, I think the club has to be prepared for the likelihood that he won’t go on to 2021, even if they hope he might.

unless Archie Smith improves significantly he might be at risk of being fully delisted and paid out for the last year of his deal (2021). Obviously the club would need to find some ruckman given Stef's age but Archie being downgraded to rookie list this year, not attracting any interest from other clubs as a delisted free agent, having now been on our list for 4/5 years and generally just not looking up to the grade would have him worried.

There’s plenty of spots on AFL lists for ruckmen like Archie who will never be topline rucks but can hold their own. I can see him being on our list for a few more seasons yet but from next year I’d expect us to be more active looking for that gun ruck

There’s plenty of spots on AFL lists for ruckmen like Archie who will never be topline rucks but can hold their own. I can see him being on our list for a few more seasons yet but from next year I’d expect us to be more active looking for that gun ruck
A third stringer that is willing to play for close to minimum wage is excellent injury insurance these days. If Archie is willing to play that role he could definitely hang around for a while yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wonder how Sam Walsh’s brother Henry🤔 develops next year and whether he is worth a punt?
Might be able to encourage his brother to follow in a couple of years also?👌🏻

I think Archie needs a good 5 or 6 game run to prove his worth and will only get that if there's an injury to Martin. Hes been used in short stints and i think he just hasnt got used to the pace of afl quick enough. I do see him playing out his contract. If Stef retires and we manage to lure Pruess or someone, Archie will still be a handy back up for a year.

Bundy is under pressure to have a good year. I think he will. The halfback experiment, that i think hindered him early in the year, is well and truely over. He can focus on the sm fwd/mid role. If he can keep up his defensive pressure, chip in with a goal or two most games he will have earnt another year at least. Last thing he needs is a long term injury, that would nearly be career ending. I would however like to keep him at the club should that happen. I would offer him an indigenous player support and community liason role with the club. I think he would have a lot to offer there.

Birchall of course is under the pump. Needs to contribute in and play atleast 12-15 games to earn another year. Needs to be fit and firing come finals time when his experience is needed. If he cant do that i think it will be just the one season. I do see some coaching potential and value if that was a role he could be interested.

Tough calls with skinner, cox, c lyons, wooler and hinge. Starved of opportunity but capable of more. Solid depth atleast for another year or two. Skinner my only doubt from that group, his last year i think.

Last year i do believe for allison, lester and eagles. Will take an extraordinary turn around for any extension.

Outs- lester, eagles, allison, skinner.
Ret- martin (if we cant trade in a replacement, might squeeze 1 more year), birchall (happy to be wrong if he has a good year), bundy (only if he gets injured long term, ill back him to have a big year).
Thats 3-6 possible list changes plus eagles. I reckon our focus when trading/drafting next year will be a ruckman and some sm fwd depth.

Not OOC next year but for Rhys Mathieson(OOC 2021) I think 2020 is a big year, it will be his 5th year as a Lion for 46 games, if he does't lock down a regular spot in the midfield do we keep him on as depth or put him out there as a trade option?

Personally I can't see him grabbing a regular senior gig, we have a few options that are better at his role eg. Neale, J.Lyons, J.Berry then we have a couple of young guys who may go past him in 2020 in Ely Smith and Deven Robertson. Cam Ellis-Yolmen is also probably a better option now.

Not so sure that Steph is at the end yet, 20.20.22.22 games in the last four seasons and was outstanding in the finals. I will wait to see him really drop away before I would pronounce his retirement. He just seems that kind of bloke like Tuck, Bradley and Fletcher who could go for quiet a while yet, or maybe its just my man crush talking ;)

Not so sure that Steph is at the end yet, 20.20.22.22 games in the last four seasons and was outstanding in the finals. I will wait to see him really drop away before I would pronounce his retirement. He just seems that kind of bloke like Tuck, Bradley and Fletcher who could go for quiet a while yet, or maybe its just my man crush talking ;)
Continually developing his leadership skills as well.
Love listening to his interviews.

Not OOC next year but for Rhys Mathieson(OOC 2021) I think 2020 is a big year, it will be his 5th year as a Lion for 46 games, if he does't lock down a regular spot in the midfield do we keep him on as depth or put him out there as a trade option?

Personally I can't see him grabbing a regular senior gig, we have a few options that are better at his role eg. Neale, J.Lyons, J.Berry then we have a couple of young guys who may go past him in 2020 in Ely Smith and Deven Robertson. Cam Ellis-Yolmen is also probably a better option now.

I’m with you there Jason, at best I think he will be demoted to the rookie list, at worst may even be delisted with a year to run in his contract. Can’t see other clubs picking him up either. Lacks endurance and foot skills. Also too prone to drop the ball on the foot without thinking and looking first. Can also see Tom Berry going pst a few this year.

I’m with you there Jason, at best I think he will be demoted to the rookie list, at worst may even be delisted with a year to run in his contract. Can’t see other clubs picking him up either. Lacks endurance and foot skills. Also too prone to drop the ball on the foot without thinking and looking first. Can also see Tom Berry going pst a few this year.

We have shown a propensity to move contracted players onto the Rookie list in recent years.

Dodongo can see a couple of clubs interested in Mathieson. Dodongo wouldn't expect anything other than a fourth rounder. Maybe a 3rd if we are lucky

Remove this Banner Ad

Back