Coalition MP George Christensen investigated by police for 12 months over Philippines travel

Bomberboyokay

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts
Sep 27, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
The Australian Federal Police (AFP) has confirmed it was making enquiries about regular travel and cash transfers to the Philippines by Queensland MP George Christensen for 12 months.

The AFP told a Senate estimates hearing today that inquiries began in late 2017, at least a year before Mr Christensen revealed he was the subject of a referral to police.

[...]

Senior members of the Government, including former prime minister Malcolm Turnbull, former deputy prime minister Barnaby Joyce and Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton, were all briefed by police at different times.

Nationals leader Michael McCormack was also told about the investigation when he took over leadership of the party.

"We were concerned that the information that we were evaluating was becoming known," AFP Commissioner Andrew Colvin told the hearing.

"I believe it was appropriate for [Deputy Prime Minister McCormack], because of the particular circumstances with the Deputy Prime Minister, to brief him."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-04...-christensen-over-philippines-travel/10972562

I'm not suggesting anything, but unusual for a politician to have police reporting his activities to his own government, and for so long.

Last edited:

Generalissimo

His Excellency
Jul 14, 2002
Somewhere
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
The Mighty Cats
This was during a time of international influence on politicians, wasn't it?
Who knows? If its an issue about him being compromised, then they will have to look at any security vetting he would have, Baseline, NV1 or NV2. I do know that if he has been overseas for the periods mentioned, 294-days in 4-years, that it would be an immediate alarm to AGSVA at the minimum.

Oct 14, 2005
Canberra
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Norwood, Adelaide Crows
Who knows? If its an issue about him being compromised, then they will have to look at any security vetting he would have, Baseline, NV1 or NV2. I do know that if he has been overseas for the periods mentioned, 294-days in 4-years, that it would be an immediate alarm to AGSVA at the minimum.
The AFP have looked into him, and cleared him 100%.

However, even his own party room questions the amount of time he has spent over there - on the grounds that he's employed to service the needs of his electorate, and he's taken far more time off on private visits to the Philippines than almost any other MP. The issue is not that he's going to the Philippines, it's the amount of time he's taken off, when he should have been representing his electorate.

Badesumofu

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 15, 2008
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Roger Federer
If he is using his on money to fly overseas who cares? If he is using taxpayers money or claiming any sort of benefits from the taxpayer then I have an issue with it!

He may have been using his own money to buy the tickets, but he was not using his own time. He has a full time job on a high salary but somehow managed to spend 10 - 11 weeks a year holidaying in the Philippines. If the voters of Dawson return him next month then they might as well put up a sign saying 'look just do whatever you like, we don't really care anyway.'

Thegibbsgamble

I beg to meg
Oct 28, 2017
AFL Club
Adelaide
His retort about a smear campaign and they are the lowest of the low is code for

I have so much to hide. I am guilty but I'm also an arrogant dickhead who will claim I'm innocent even when I am in gaol giving head to my cell mate.

He may have been using his own money to buy the tickets, but he was not using his own time. He has a full time job on a high salary but somehow managed to spend 10 - 11 weeks a year holidaying in the Philippines. If the voters of Dawson return him next month then they might as well put up a sign saying 'look just do whatever you like, we don't really care anyway.'
Yep its amazing how he seems to be able to fit 10 - 11 weeks of holidays each year into the standard 4-weeks annual leave the mug punters get! :rolleyes:

I'm not suggesting anything, but unusual for a politician to have police reporting his activities to his own government, and for so long.
I would be suggesting that Christianson was ripping off the public by stealing money under false pretenses.

Yep its amazing how he seems to be able to fit 10 - 11 weeks of holidays each year into the standard 4-weeks annual leave the mug punters get! :rolleyes:
Friend of mine does it by bunching weekend work with weekdays so get a full week off a fortnight without any actual annual leave used

Friend of mine does it by bunching weekend work with weekdays so get a full week off a fortnight without any actual annual leave used
How many week-ends (days not hours) would you think Christensen worked?
Different circumstances I would have thought.

How many week-ends (days not hours) would you think Christensen worked?
Different circumstances I would have thought.
Dunno; politicians might do weekends to be accessible; and I don’t know how he would take trips (few days at a time or weeks on end). But I was more answering how someone can get 11 weeks of “leave” from 4 weeks. Not saying that christensen did the same.

Feb 21, 2002
Hawaii
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Things that make you go hmmmm.

Hope he is suitably attired

Unknown.jpeg

Back