News Crows buy professional eSports team - Update: SOLD

Aug 12, 2002
MORPHETT VALE
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
adelaide crows
A few new sponsorship deals ........

https://ministryofsport.com.au/adelaide-crows-bolster-esports-operations-with-two-new-deals/

Nov 1, 2012
AFL Club
Adelaide
A few new sponsorship deals ........

https://ministryofsport.com.au/adelaide-crows-bolster-esports-operations-with-two-new-deals/

Wow

Let it rain

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
Would you expect that they have made a profit or loss on this?
After two years involved in esports, the transfer and sale of the Bombers’ OPL licence to Pentanet have importantly enabled the club to recognise an increase in the enterprise value of the asset.

I cant translate this - but it seems to me that its not a direct profit but the peripherals such as sponsorship money and fan engagement money

But I could be wrong

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
After two years involved in esports, the transfer and sale of the Bombers’ OPL licence to Pentanet have importantly enabled the club to recognise an increase in the enterprise value of the asset.

I cant translate this - but it seems to me that its not a direct profit but the peripherals such as sponsorship money and fan engagement money

But I could be wrong
Looks like trading profit, no .....but by reselling the license, they realised an asset profit, which also covered any trading losses

Relaxed

Senior List
Feb 3, 2019
AFL Club
Adelaide
Looks like trading profit, no .....but by reselling the license, they realised an asset profit, which also covered any trading losses

Sounds like they sold the asset/license for more than they paid, but lost money on the operations side.

Eg (figures made up)
Buy license for $500k
Operating cost per annum $250k (500k over 2 years)
Sponsorship income per annum $200k (400k over 2 years)
Sell license for $550k

Enterprise value of license $50k increase
Operating losses over 2 years $100k
Net loss $50k

If they made both a profit on the license side and from operations/sponsorships/engagement, they wouldn't bother selling, plus they would be screaming WE MADE A PROFIT in bold all over their press release.

"After two years involved in esports, the transfer and sale of the Bombers’ OPL licence to Pentanet have importantly enabled the club to recognise an increase in the enterprise value of the asset."

Just using accounting terminology re: ev of the asset to hide that they were making operational losses.

So I've completed ignored everything to do with our esports team. Did we end up making a profit?
The club has never said and usually danced around the topic

Reading between the lines you would think they have made a loss (or at best, broken even) on the venture

jo172

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 23, 2004
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
San Antonio, Redbacks
1637547191126.png

Back