Not open for further replies.

Heres Waite

Cancelled
Aug 16, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Carlton
I call BS.

Not all GCS members are supporters, more like AFL supporters trying to keep a club alive so they can see their club play without having to travel.

There is also no way all 5,000 members all go to the one game and boo in unison. They simply aren’t up to the challenge.
This post makes me feel so sad for Fitzroy! How can we have a team like GC that no one cares about except the AFL hierarchy, and yet they let Fitzroy die!!

Dadda Dave

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
This post makes me feel so sad for Fitzroy! How can we have a team like GC that no one cares about except the AFL hierarchy, and yet they let Fitzroy die!!
Exactly..at least fans actually cared about and lovedFitzroy ..
If the afl threw money to them like they do coldtoast they'd still be breathing and loved by their fans ..
Not like the plastic club that's running around on the gold coast ffs..

djw1952

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2009
mentone
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
liverpool
Exactly..at least fans actually cared about and lovedFitzroy ..
If the afl threw money to them like they do coldtoast they'd still be breathing and loved by their fans ..
Not like the plastic club that's running around on the gold coast ffs..
The only reason that the two new teams are in the comp at all is to get up the collective noses of the NRL (imo), because neither team is ever going to make a profit or have a big supporter base...........the afl are all about contrived outcomes, and wasting $$$ and picks on a team like the GC is just sheer folly when they should be trying to get a Tassie team up & running instead!!! Tasmania have been treated like a poor second cousin by the AFL, but they have always been part of the history of the VFL/AFL with the players that have come from there, and I doubt the G.C. can claim anything like that..........Gil & Shocking have their heads up their a*** so they will not budge on the G.C. I guess, so we can only hope that the Suns continue to belly flop and go the way of the dodo bird..........or the players get shipped off to Tassie eventually..........which is what I am hoping for :devil:

From a $$ perspective tassy makes 0 sense... The population of tassy is tiny, not to mention the fact that most Tasmanians already support an AFL team... Gold coast is pushing into territory that there's enough young people that hopefully in 6-7-8 years time from now there are supporters who grew up supporting them.

On CPH1831 using BigFooty.com mobile app

From a $$ perspective tassy makes 0 sense... The population of tassy is tiny, not to mention the fact that most Tasmanians already support an AFL team... Gold coast is pushing into territory that there's enough young people that hopefully in 6-7-8 years time from now there are supporters who grew up supporting them.

Good point and one not touched on all too often.

Gold Coast will be tough but there's no other way than to walk into it for the long term...very long term.
Needs a generation to go by before we can really gauge whether there's something there or not.

They also need a spark and winning games and playing finals is the best spark you can have, but it's almost as though they need something else.
I just don't know what that may be though.

Gold Coast will be tough but there's no other way than to walk into it for the long term...very long term.
Needs a generation to go by before we can really gauge whether there's something there or not.

They also need a spark and winning games and playing finals is the best spark you can have, but it's almost as though they need something else.
New guernsey and club song?

Has barely worked for the Lions, why throw another team into the mix and dilute the already small supporter base?

Contrived rivalry rarely ever evolves into anything meaningful.

Has barely worked for the Lions, why throw another team into the mix and dilute the already small supporter base?

True. Like I said, I think something else has to come about for things to click for Gold Coast.

A surge in interest for the AFL in general?
A marketing campaign that takes off in the way the RL had many years ago?
A good team winning games and premierships?
A new generation that's somehow left behind RL and chose AFL?
More money into grass roots?
Other competitions have massive issues and we take on the windfall?

Maybe all that and more....but it does need something unnatural or at least unusual.

THEYSEEMEROLLIN

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton

The population of Geelong is tiny also. If the AFL continue to treat Tassie with the same contempt they have to this point, they will lose the next generation of sports lovers there to NBL and A-League. Already the number of young players coming out of Tas through the draft has been dropping significantly. They are deserting for other sports.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

Because you’ve got a game in Queensland every week, instead of only once a fortnight. Putting a team on the Gold Coast, no matter how difficult, made perfect sense. Unfortunately they buggered up the initial implementation, both in terms of club infrastructure and also their list build.
But it’s a long-term project.

Broadside

Premiership Player
Jul 15, 2007
Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
But it’s a long-term project.

It was an exercise in hubris, thinking that the AFL can make a franchise work when the Gold Coast is a graveyard of sporting teams. Why did they not just license the Southport Sharks and start with some momentum?

The AFL will get it right once they have exhausted every other possibility.

May 15, 2017
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
Carlton, Tennessee Titans

To be fair the population of Tasmania is around 500,000, compared to say Geelong at half that it isn't really that tiny. The state Government would also kick in a fair chunk of money towards a new team, like they already do for both North and Hawthorn respectively, plus local sponsorships etc. And the majority of die-hard footy fans would be happy to hold 2 memberships, it's not like they get amazing value out of their current vic team memberships anyway. Won't make the AFL billions, but should still be sustainable and turn a profit.

BlueJet

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2009
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
North Ballarat
To be fair, we've been mixing it with the Bombers for 15 years...
True enough mate, I'd just like to experience the build up to a final against one of our traditional rivals again.
These clubs are the ones that we measure our success against and the ones that wins against, on or off field, actually mean something.
Our club has 100+ years of history, GCS has what?
Hopefully in time they can build into a viable club up there but comparing one of the more storied clubs against an upstart is pointless.

Aug 30, 2017
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
The population of Geelong is tiny also. If the AFL continue to treat Tassie with the same contempt they have to this point, they will lose the next generation of sports lovers there to NBL and A-League. Already the number of young players coming out of Tas through the draft has been dropping significantly. They are deserting for other sports.
Although Geelong has a large supporter base throughout Western Victoria, most of the people of I know that side of the Westgate typically support the Cats.

THEYSEEMEROLLIN

Team Captain
Mar 23, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Although Geelong has a large supporter base throughout Western Victoria, most of the people of I know that side of the Westgate typically support the Cats.

Likewise there are many expat Tasmanians living in Melbourne who would jump on a Tas team in a heartbeat, myself included. I'd buy 2 memberships every year and hope one day I'm torn who to support in the GF v the mighty Blues.

Sep 3, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Still sad we missed out on him. Good on him though.
Would have been am awesome addition. Ahh well midfield is in the hands of the kids now. Time to develop our own stars.

Still have a mini war chest to target players next year... ie Papley etc

@sam_mcclure 19m

Stephen Coniglio - the man who turned down mammoth offers from Carlton and Hawthorn - is the new captain of GWS.
no doubt part of the reason he stayed.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back