D2 Division 2 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chump or Champ

Senior List
Apr 11, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Glen Eira FC congratulates Miles Bergman on his draft selection. Miles dad Ralph was our gun full forward some oldies may remember.
Ralph was an absolute star and ripping bloke to have a chat to after the game. Gave a few fullbacks at our club a tough time trying to keep him under control. Congratulations to the Bergman family on Miles selection.

Last edited:

Tortured fan

Senior List
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Toffees
Glen Eira FC congratulates Miles Bergman on his draft selection. Miles dad Ralph was our gun full forward some oldies may remember.
Ralph was a really good player. CBC had a few stars in those days.

The son of our old champ, Stephen Philp, also picked up at no. 20. Philpy was a super player in A and B grade at OPs.
His son, Sam, is a ripping kid and hope he does well. Not sure where Sam's speed comes from as his father really preferred a soft 6 to a heavy 8.

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Ralph was an absolute star and ripping bloke to have a chat to after the game. Gave a few fullbacks at our club a tough time trying to keep him under control. Congratulations to the Bergman family on Miles selection.

Kicked 16.1 against BT one day out there old Ralphy. Didn't matter who we played on him - he couldn't miss. Return match at Ajani later in the year he kicked 1 goal and played on the wing. Go figure. For a side that got relegated that year (from memory) StKilda/Sth Caulfield had 2-3 absolute stars.

Last edited:

HumphreyBBear

Premium Platinum
Jul 23, 2006
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Kicked 16.1 against BT one day out there old Ralphy. Didn't matter who we played on him - he couldn't miss. Return match at Ajani later in the year he kicked 1 goal and played on the wing. Go figure. For a side that got relegated that year (from memory) StKilda/Sth Caulfield had 2-3 absolute stars.

I played against Ralph B for Parade first XVIII when he was playing for CBC school. We were a dominant side and CBC St Kilda had virtually no one but Ralph. He must have taken 30 marks and almost beat us on his own. In maybe 400 games played, that was the best single game I can ever remember. When I saw Miles name come up, I wondered if he was Ralph's progeny.

I also played many games with Stephen Philp. Philpy was a jet, but I scratch my head when they talk about his son's blistering pace. Where did that come from?

uglydermie

All Australian
Aug 9, 2004
Ajani
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Played that day Dee. Ralph was seriously on fire. I remember the blond hair, the unbelievable hands and his dead eye kicking. They beat us by 97 points (round 9 1992). In the return game on our deck we beat them by 95. Very similar score lines in 1998 (111/ 102) and 2000 (101/97). Fair to say, both teams enjoyed the attacking side of the game - and the social side of the game :)
** All Stats supplied by The Moose

Last edited:

Dee Snider

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 17, 2006
Burning in Hell
AFL Club
Collingwood
Played that day Dee. Ralph was seriously on fire. I remember the blond hair, the unbelievable hands and his dead eye kicking. They beat us by 97 points (round 9 1992). In the return game on our deck we beat them by 95. Very similar score lines in 1998 (111/ 102) and 2000 (101/97). Fair to say, both teams enjoyed the attacking side of the game - and the social side of the game :)
** All Stats supplied by The Moose

Moose probably had 5 kicked on him by Ralph that day. I just hovered around the middle watching the carnage. Surprised Harry didn’t ship you down there to full back at some stage. Tucky never recovered.

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cubs Blackhawks Fulham Ivanhoe FC
Just asking.. But seriously VAFA rules state Ash Close cannot be paid to coach Ivanhoe. Am i to believe he is coaching them for absolutely zero return?

"Any paid Head coach or paid Assistant coach is not permitted to play for any team of the Club (eg a paid coach of the senior team cannot play in the Reserves or Thirds, or vice versa)."

Hard to believe..
He stayed and played for nothing when kicking 100+ in a season knocking back many big offers at the time.
He only left Ivanhoe at the demand by Collingwood to play a higher grade when VFL listed.
He told me a few times he always planned on returning to Hoer park so not as unbelievable as you might think.

ultimate warrior

Senior List
Jul 21, 2008
Dandy
AFL Club
Geelong
He stayed and played for nothing when kicking 100+ in a season knocking back many big offers at the time.
He only left Ivanhoe at the demand by Collingwood to play a higher grade when VFL listed.
He told me a few times he always planned on returning to Hoer park so not as unbelievable as you might think.
Big difference playing for free as compared to the 20 extra hours a week a coach puts in for no pay!!

Big Unit 30

🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🏆🐅⏰
May 3, 2015
Playboy Mansion
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cubs Blackhawks Fulham Ivanhoe FC
Big difference playing for free as compared to the 20 extra hours a week a coach puts in for no pay!!
Well if there are money laden white knights with bursting bank accounts there they have been very well hidden and silent in times of desperation in my 32 years of involvement.

ultimate warrior

Senior List
Jul 21, 2008
Dandy
AFL Club
Geelong
Well if there are money laden white knights with bursting bank accounts there they have been very well hidden and silent in times of desperation in my 32 years of involvement.
White knights aren’t needed to pay coaches. Anyone who suggests a senior coach doesn’t get paid is taking nonsense.
Good business if you can get a playing coach for free. Aquinas have been smart and employed the same tact and it’s worked well.

Chump or Champ

Senior List
Apr 11, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
I predict the Hoes will be challenging for finals next year.

We are hopeful of improvement Wamba, only won 5 games last year, so starting from a low base.

Some good early signs with some past players returning that will improve the list. Chasing a few new ones - as all clubs are this time of year.

That said, a few clubs we played last year gave us a fair beating, so we will need to improve a fair margin before I start looking at anything like finals discussions - IMO.

I hope you are right and I am wrong though 😊

Chump

Tortured fan

Senior List
Mar 17, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
The Toffees
C'mon Biggie, surely Super Samma throws in a fair chunk!!

Chump or Champ

Senior List
Apr 11, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
C'mon Biggie, surely Super Samma throws in a fair chunk!!
At North Heidelberg or Collingwood? Does visit occasionally on a past players day and buys a few raffle tickets, but not a sponsor of IAFC that I am aware of. It’s a good idea though 👍
Chump

gotherosellas

Senior List
Sep 21, 2007
docklands
AFL Club
Richmond
Any updates on the coaching situation down at the House? Boys will be back on deck very shortly and potentially rudderless.
Anthony McMahon ex Glengarry and recently South Melbourne Districts. They also got back a fair few older ex players as assistant coaches in non playing roles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back