2nds Official Swans Academy Thread (Player News and Discussion)

Wishing the academy players all the best for 2020.
Cal Twoomey has Braeden Campbell #2 in hist list.
Braeden Campbell
Sydney Swans Academy/NSW-ACT
179cm/71kg
4/2/02
Midfielder
The Swans will get first call on Campbell, who was named best-afield in the NAB AFL All Stars 'Futures' game on Grand Final day. Campbell is a midfielder who can slide forward, as he did in that game when he booted three goals from 14 disposals. Finds the ball at the stoppages and is able to cover the ground and be penetrating with the ball.

690401_lp.jpg

Chris Doerre
https://www.espn.com.au/afl/story/_/id/28191579/afl-draft-************-top-20-prospects-2020

AFL Draft: Top 20 prospects for 2020
Gulden Campbell.jpg

#5 Braeden Campbell (Sydney Academy)

With a strong all-around game, Campbell is one of the draft's most advanced juniors. He wins his own ball, tackles aggressively, has the strength to stand up through tackles and hurt the opposition with his left foot and run. Campbell won the best on ground medal in the Grand Final curtain-raiser after kicking three goals. Campbell may be best suited playing as a small forward, though is more than capable of pushing up through the midfield.

#10 Errol Gulden (Sydney Academy)

A small, classy, high production midfielder and forward with one of the most advanced games in the draft. His one-touch pickups at ground level on the move are freakish. Gulden is fast and possesses impressive speed and agility. He reads the play and gets to the right spots, finishes around goal and has the class and precision kick to hit targets by foot inside 50m.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
There is a big chance that one club will select one of the boys and when matched they will then select the other.

SOS used his knowledge from the US draft system as a weapon. All academies will match within reason.

Pick 10 for a 15-18 player will be matched.

Pick 4 for a 7 -10 player will be matched.

Academies have too much investment to walk away unless unknown factors.

Dildo or one of the Vic clubs will do it.

PS: Plenty of Lion academy players selected because they allow players to grow the own skills, flair, etc and game style within the team.

Swams academy players are generally very solid players but hardly ever show outstanding traits. E.g drones

Wicks is perfect example. Does everything he's asked, dependable, work horse and a real team player but doesnt show any particular outstanding trait or skill and it is likely the academy trained it all or any out of him and like most academy players.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
There is a big chance that one club will select one of the boys and when matched they will then select the other.

SOS used his knowledge from the US draft system as a weapon. All academies will match within reason.

PS: Plenty of Lion academy players selected because they allow players to grow the own skills, flair, etc and game style within the team.

Swams academy players are generally very solid players but hardly ever show outstanding traits. E.g drones

Wicks is perfect example. Does everything he's asked, dependable, work horse and a real team player but doesnt show any particular outstanding trait or skill and it is likely the academy trained it all or any out of him and like most academy players.

So change the admin and coaches!
I agree with you to a point.
Watch the same group when coached by Tadgh Kenelly, and they are open and having fun showing off their skills at Rams.
Watch them in TAC cup... hmmm not so

Last edited:

DavyRed

Club Legend
Nov 5, 2009
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Two Academy picks inside the top ten will make Eddies head explode. He will preemptively agitate to prevent it I’m sure.
And yet he’ll be silent on the fact that the Swans (or any other team come to that) picked absolutely nobody from our Academy this year.

Anyway, there’s a long way to go to next year’s draft. Plenty of boys have dramatically risen up or fallen down the draft in the past, so let’s see how things develop over the coming months.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I wonder if the chosen NDS boys will see opportunities elsewhere?
If they leave the NDS after the draft because they see the academy as a hindrance rather than a help, this years "most successful" group could send a message that could make some people very uncomfortable.

Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
And yet he’ll be silent on the fact that the Swans (or any other team come to that) picked absolutely nobody from our Academy this year.

Anyway, there’s a long way to go to next year’s draft. Plenty of boys have dramatically risen up or fallen down the draft in the past, so let’s see how things develop over the coming months.
Will probably ignore Brisbane not being able to match for all bids as well

Stepson

Draftee
Dec 3, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
I feel for C2019, unfortunately I have had enough involvement and relationships with people who have had sons going through the academy and ultimately there is very little positive comments about the system.

Chris SMITH - Outright liar or Snake Oil Salesmen - A player was guaranteed 10-14 NEAFL games and got 3. Played anywhere but his role (Midfielder) and bypassed for others who pissed into Chris's pockets - Currently playing in another state league (reserves) and most possessions for the whole league. I am aware of several similar sad stories and I that I only knew a least then 2% of the players.

Indigenous Players - a possible positive agenda to recruit ONLY NSW indigenous players - e.g Bell. Also the GO Foundation attempted to assist several Northern Academy players but failed. Maybe why not just recruit the best available and keep hoping to develop our (NSW) players.

~10 years for the academy and no-one to the combine in 2019.

It is reasonable to believe that the Academy has totally failed but removing any flair, instinct, individualism, skills, confidence and, enjoyment and only instilling the SWANS way and then affects selection for NSW, Allies, combine invitation (40-50 drones each year). The ALLIES is a joke with the selection panel.

How about coaching/teaching skills, decision making, risk and reward kicking, and allow players to develop and then later teach game style/systems.
What are the SWANS going to do with GULDEN and CAMPBELL, dumb then down and sap all confidence from then (Hayward, Ronke)

Heeney (Freak) would make it in any sports he played.
Mills - Determination - Strong mind - Somewhere years ago I stated that Mills as a more complete (less explosive) Mid then Heeney - we will never know and even if they move him it might be too late.
Blakey - Skillful, speed, a footy player, more complete then both

Unfortunately the rest were lacking various skills to play AFL.

I think C2019 is just about right and it hurts.

I would be very happy for any player from the academy to be recruited by any team, even the Eddies, to show that you can be recruited.

At the moment its only the elite, very good or well above average players DO NOT get a look in and I have seen plenty who should be on lists but they aren't.

Stepson

Draftee
Dec 3, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
My family certainly has a different take on things. My son concluded his time in the Academy last year, managed to play u16 Rams and a few games in the NAB series. Also, he was provided an opportunity on two occasions to play NEAFL - one of those games on the SCG. Admittedly, he didn’t get to play his preferred position but we understood that the senior listed players are given priority. It was an amazing experience for my lad and an opportunity that he knows would not have been available to him should he be playing In Vic, Wa or SA. He also understood that he wasn’t quite up to draft standard but loved his journey in the Academy and some of the unique opportunities that were given to him. I have nothing but positives to say and that is based on 5 years as an Academy parent. My son now plays AFL Sydney, with many of his team mates ex Academy boys. We never felt entitled, only appreciation.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Under the revised approach where afl hubs for each region have kids (app 150 nationwide) selected to afl Academy the following were selected for NSW ACT
in advance of 2020 draft. Arguably with 5 selections from swans Academy these kids should have a 50% chance of being drafted.

Attachments

• 4FDA7FEC-7C5D-4985-803D-202F577E5882.png
    4FDA7FEC-7C5D-4985-803D-202F577E5882.png
    352.8 KB · Views: 152
Last edited:
Two Academy picks inside the top ten will make Eddies head explode. He will preemptively agitate to prevent it I’m sure.
They are not rated top 10 on these lists, every list I've seen for the 2020 draft is in alphabetical order so Campbell appears at two or three. We possibly have a top 10 in Campbell and possibly a top 20 in Gulden but as we see every year, many of the top 17yo's don't hold form and many high draftees weren't even being discussed 12 months out.

The big hope for us is that we can get a first round pick in before we have to match bids, like GWS and Freo this year. Just so many currently rated players are already tied to clubs, there will be some disgruntled fallout if next years draft does end up highly compromised as currently touted. The Dogs have about four players tied to them including a potential top five, be interesting to see how they pay for them if they finish high on the table next year.

Jul 9, 2014
AFL Club
Sydney
My family certainly has a different take on things. My son concluded his time in the Academy last year, managed to play u16 Rams and a few games in the NAB series. Also, he was provided an opportunity on two occasions to play NEAFL - one of those games on the SCG. Admittedly, he didn’t get to play his preferred position but we understood that the senior listed players are given priority. It was an amazing experience for my lad and an opportunity that he knows would not have been available to him should he be playing In Vic, Wa or SA. He also understood that he wasn’t quite up to draft standard but loved his journey in the Academy and some of the unique opportunities that were given to him. I have nothing but positives to say and that is based on 5 years as an Academy parent. My son now plays AFL Sydney, with many of his team mates ex Academy boys. We never felt entitled, only appreciation.

Nice post mate and welcome 🙂

Pretty gut wrenching time for kids, parents... even coaches, when the realisation sets in that that dream is just a dream.
For some it happens early on being left on the bench in a tight grand final, for others regional selection at U/15s... state selection at 18s or a junior World Cup squad at 21... some will pack up their gear and never play again and some will look back fondly on their experience and continue to share the passion and joy with others.
Really, the world would be a pretty miserable place if everybody that felt they were dudded by the politics and ineptitude of junior sport admins, carried that chip around on their shoulders forever.

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
They are not rated top 10 on these lists, every list I've seen for the 2020 draft is in alphabetical order so Campbell appears at two or three. We possibly have a top 10 in Campbell and possibly a top 20 in Gulden but as we see every year, many of the top 17yo's don't hold form and many high draftees weren't even being discussed 12 months out.

The big hope for us is that we can get a first round pick in before we have to match bids, like GWS and Freo this year. Just so many currently rated players are already tied to clubs, there will be some disgruntled fallout if next years draft does end up highly compromised as currently touted. The Dogs have about four players tied to them including a potential top five, be interesting to see how they pay for them if they finish high on the table next year.

Campbell was named best on ground in the under 17 all stars game and Gulden was rated best in the losing side same game. Both have been rated highly for some time now. Sure things change but can’t see them dropping off the page. My biggest concern is having enough points.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Nice post mate and welcome 🙂

Pretty gut wrenching time for kids, parents... even coaches, when the realisation sets in that that dream is just a dream.
For some it happens early on being left on the bench in a tight grand final, for others regional selection at U/15s... state selection at 18s or a junior World Cup squad at 21... some will pack up their gear and never play again and some will look back fondly on their experience and continue to share the passion and joy with others.
Really, the world would be a pretty miserable place if everybody that felt they were dudded by the politics and ineptitude of junior sport admins, carried that chip around on their shoulders forever.
I agree. Even if you get drafted by the swans you still find it is tough, hard work, and you are sweating whether you will ever get a senior game. Then you are sweating whether you will get another contract, or whether you will just get a few games then get cut. Or get injured and everything ends in an instant.

My advice to a young player would be to live for the moment, enjoy the experience whether you got cut early from the academy or play 200 senior games. To make it you need a super robust body, great talent, and a huge dose of luck. At the end of the day if you love footy you would be playing somewhere anyway. Why not at the Academy where you get to experience great coaches, make new friends and be a small part of a great club.

The risk of failure is the price we pay for having a chance at success.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
I might post more about this later if I have time but there are a few factors that may determine the success of the Academy. Two of those would be a) facilitating the progress of more boys from junior football onto AFL clubs’ lists and b) helping to improve the general standard of local Sydney football.

With regards to point a) this year has been a total failure. Some reasons for that failure sit outside of the Academy but some certainly sit with the Academy itself and led to mismanagement of, and ultimately a waste of, the talent they had available to them this year. I still genuinely believe that we had several boys who were talented enough to get a list spot, certainly a rookie spot.

There are a number of issues that need to be urgently addressed otherwise, apart from the hope that another Blakey or Heeney comes along, we’ll continue to see very few boys getting selected in the 30-70 pick + rookie type range.
The Academy is not going to have huge sussess stories every year. Some years have players who are good role players and have developed in that capacity, like this year's crop. Some have really top end talent and then a group of other draftable lads like next year. Two top 10 boys is astounding for a program that has been in place less than a decade and is almost entirely funded by Swans sponsorship.

Before the Academies we had the NSW Scholarship Program. Do you really want to go back to that system? Where we can't even have any control over the development of players? The strengthening of the local comps and especially the NEAFL can be directly linked to the Academies. Sydney Uni had many Swans Academy players last year and made the finals. Same Aspley some years ago and Southport for the last two years.

The academies are working. The standard of local footy is getting far better. That will eventually translate into a stronger junior program and better Academy prospects.

On ANE-LX2J using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

I don't know where you get 'the Academy trained any skill out of them' or 'drones'. I can assure you neither Gulden or Campbell have had the skill knocked out of them. Thry are seen as Top 10 talent in next year's draft.

Wolftone

Cancelled
Feb 1, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

As I have already stated not every year is going to produce draft prospects. This year produced a crop of players who are role players and that showed by the Swans winning the Academy Series.

Next year is different. There is a great deal of talent coming through. Some years ago the Draft Gurus complained about the depth of the draft, not just Academy players but all draftees. It was the shallowest draft for many years. This draft was also seen as being a little shallow campared to last year. Next year's draft is really strong and we have a chance to get two top 10 picks. It's all relative.

Arwib

Club Legend
Apr 9, 2011
Canberra
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Canberra Raiders
You're always gonna see a bit of variability with the small and medium states producing talent each year. This year Tassie and NSW had nobody in the national draft, South Australia, a bigger state, had 11. in 2016, there were a record 9 from NSW, only 5 from South Australia, and again zero from Tasmania.

Tesla Tenet

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
I don't know where you get 'the Academy trained any skill out of them' or 'drones'. I can assure you neither Gulden or Campbell have had the skill knocked out of them. Thry are seen as Top 10 talent in next year's draft.

2 players from next year.

How many Lions academy players selected since to it started? About 20-23.

Us - no way near that many and 2 of those were the first year.

What other clubs drafted or tried our academy players, outside the big 3? 1-3, Ben Davis....

Who wins must Academy games? Us.

Does that help players being selected in the allies or drafted. Not much.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
2 players from next year.

How many Lions academy players selected since to it started? About 20-23.

Us - no way near that many and 2 of those were the first year.

What other clubs drafted or tried our academy players, outside the big 3? 1-3, Ben Davis....

Who wins must Academy games? Us.

Does that help players being selected in the allies or drafted. Not much.

It is certainly a weird thing. Our Academy should study what Brisbane academy does differently and what are the differences in the football environment. It might be that queensland has a much deeper afl pool and history. Certainly if you go to southports oval and club house it is on a level way beyond anything in sydney. Having travelled to brisbane a couple of times to watch the swans neafl you can see the difference. I went to the southport v sydney grand final and then last year the brisbane v sydney final. Firstly there were 2-3000 supporters at the games, but what is amazing is the number of little kids attending. The Brisbane game had so many little kids all in their brisbane gear, kicking footies on the ground and getting photos with the brisbane neafl players. We have nothing like that in sydney and a swans neafl game would be lucky to get a couple of dozen supporters. It leads me to believe that sydney afl is a very long way behind queensland afl and that has a big impact on the pool.

In my view the swans academy provides brilliant coaches, programs, and incredible opportunities for players to play NAB cup, allies and neafl. Like wise players get to train with the senior swans afl team which victorians find absolutely mind blowing. Even after they leave the academy the swans keep giving them opportunities. Look at bartholouez, hebron etc this year and baker last year who trained with the seniors. I also understand the swans coaches keep in touch with these types of guys giving them vision and guidance on the areas of their game they need to close to make it on a list.

With the concerns raised by some posters, I ask, what more can the swans do?

Oct 14, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Campbell was named best on ground in the under 17 all stars game and Gulden was rated best in the losing side same game. Both have been rated highly for some time now. Sure things change but can’t see them dropping off the page. My biggest concern is having enough points.

My guess is we will need to match bids at around 8 and 15. If we can get a selection before those two we will definitely struggle for points as it currently stands.

Papley’s name is going to get some mileage come trade period

Aug 9, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It is certainly a weird thing. Our Academy should study what Brisbane academy does differently and what are the differences in the football environment. It might be that queensland has a much deeper afl pool and history. Certainly if you go to southports oval and club house it is on a level way beyond anything in sydney. Having travelled to brisbane a couple of times to watch the swans neafl you can see the difference. I went to the southport v sydney grand final and then last year the brisbane v sydney final. Firstly there were 2-3000 supporters at the games, but what is amazing is the number of little kids attending. The Brisbane game had so many little kids all in their brisbane gear, kicking footies on the ground and getting photos with the brisbane neafl players. We have nothing like that in sydney and a swans neafl game would be lucky to get a couple of dozen supporters. It leads me to believe that sydney afl is a very long way behind queensland afl and that has a big impact on the pool.

In my view the swans academy provides brilliant coaches, programs, and incredible opportunities for players to play NAB cup, allies and neafl. Like wise players get to train with the senior swans afl team which victorians find absolutely mind blowing. Even after they leave the academy the swans keep giving them opportunities. Look at bartholouez, hebron etc this year and baker last year who trained with the seniors. I also understand the swans coaches keep in touch with these types of guys giving them vision and guidance on the areas of their game they need to close to make it on a list.

With the concerns raised by some posters, I ask, what more can the swans do?

Surely involvement in the NAB cup will achieve two things:

- greater competition to hone skills
- greater exposure of recruiters to the players and their abilities vis a vis Melbourne based draftees

At present if there is a swans Academy player and a comparable Melbourne player the latter will get the nod because of uncertainty surrounding exposed form of Academy players.

Last edited:
Back