Cricket Discussion - Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Slater thinking that Australia has the best bowling attack in the world is way off the mark.

If you look at the current top rankings in the world atm, we have one in the top 10, that's Cummins in number 1.

rest is

2. Rabada (SA)
3. Holder (WI)
4. J Bumrah (Ind)
5. J Anderson (Eng)
6. T Boult (NZ)
7. M Shami (Ind)
8. N Wagner (NZ)
9. V Philander (SA)
10. R Ashwin (Ind)

what we do have though is very good depth!.
Dont have to have 3 or 4 bowlers in the best 10 by the rankings system to have the best attack overall. The India's have been the most successful side the last 24 months of test cricket

Top 25 Test bowlers over the last two years, by average (minimum 900 balls/150 overs bowled): graphic taken from cricket board 1st test thread.

1574589154306.png

This is test results over this same 24 months I did this statsguru query.

NZ test series should be a real battle looking at these results

1574589589835.png

Dont have to have 3 or 4 bowlers in the best 10 by the rankings system to have the best attack overall. The India's have been the most successful side the last 24 months of test cricket

Top 25 Test bowlers over the last two years, by average (minimum 900 balls/150 overs bowled): graphic taken from cricket board 1st test thread.

View attachment 784041

This is test results over this same 24 months I did this statsguru query.

NZ test series should be a real battle looking at these results

View attachment 784045

Really looking forward to the NZ series. Was disappointed when we got the Pakistan test!
bloody CA!!!.

The ICC rankings are difficult to fathom at times. As an example they still rank Jimmie Anderson, who hasn't played a Test in six months as the no5 bowler in the world.

As far as rankings go a lot depends on the fixtures and where they are played. If India play Bangladesh in India then their points are likely to be higher than Australia playing England in England. Had Australia not turned down the opportunity to play a couple of Tests against Bangladesh last year the rankings of some of our bowlers would probably have been higher.

The other mitigating factor surrounding our quicks is the number of injuries they have sustained over the past four to five years. Black caps like Boult, Southee and Wagener have been playing while the likes of Cummins, Hazelwood, Starc and Pattinson have been sitting on the side lines nursing injury.

I think Michael Slater has a point as we have a pretty good pace battery and a good spinner and I would not be swapping our attack for that of any other country despite the rankings. If they can all stay fit I think they will sit higher in the rankings this time next year.

Really looking forward to the NZ series. Was disappointed when we got the Pakistan test!
bloody CA!!!.
I wish we could have played 5 tests against the Kiwis.

The Kiwis deserve to be on the big stage of the MCG Boxing Day test and New Year's Test at the SCG.

Jim Maxwell on the radio on the weekend asked Dizzy Gillespie, how many games does he think NZ have played at the SCG. My immediate thought was 3, 1973-74, 1980-81, 1985-86. Dizzy said 5. The answer is 2. In 1980-81 the Kiwis played 3 tests followed by the Indians 3 test so they got the MCG and SCG tests, so it was the other 2 tours they played at the SCG.

The Kiwis get sent to Hobart and Adelaide which is similar to their pitches, but to Gabba and Perth which are very different to their pitches. Below is a list and Kiwi Wins and draws at different grounds in Oz, listed with a W or D, rest are Oz wins in Australia.

Played 31 tests, Oz won 17, NZ won 3, Draw 11. 1980-81 Melb had 2 tests as did SCG in 1985-86 so both NZ and India got to play those respective grounds in those 2 summers. Hobart's first test was 1989-90 v Sri Lanka.

1985-86 was a bloody great performance by Kiwis to win 2 tests at the Gabba and WACA and the series as Oz won the middle test at the SCG. Yes Oz was weakened by having 16 guys go on the rebel tour of South Africa, but to win at the Gabba and WACA was a big effort.

Thanks to Richard Hadlee taking 15 wickets and 11 wickets respectively, with some good rather than great bowling support from Chatfield and Bracewell keeping it tight rather than dominate bowling, but also strong batting by Martin Crowe and also the top 3 of Edgar, Wright and Reid.

But the cupboard has been bare for the Kiwis since then with only one other win in Hobart in 2011-12 by 7 runs when Oz were chasing 240.

They were bloody competitive and a bit unlucky not to win a test in 2001-2 but had 3 draws. Oz were the dominant world team, won 16 in row, then the heroics of VVS Laxman in Kolkata and Harbhajan Singh's bowling saw them win the last 2 tests, then won 4-1 in England and only lost in Headingley because Gilchrist filling in for Waugh, made a generous declaration and Butcher batted out of his skin for 170 odd not out.

So going into 2001-02 series Oz had won 20 and lost 3 of their previous 23 tests. Stephen Fleming captained brilliantly that series.

This should be as a competitive a series as 2001-02 and 1985-86 were.

Gabba. 80-81, 85-86 W, 87-88, 93-94, 97-98, 01-02 D, 04-05, 08-09, 11-12, 15-16 = 10 tests
WACA. 80-81, 85-86 W, 89-90 D, 93-94 D, 97-98, 01-02 D, 15-16 D,.................... = 7 tests
Hobart 93-94, 97-98 D, 01-02 D, 11-12 W, .......................................................... = 4 tests
AO..... 73-74, 87-88 D, 04-05, 08-09, 15-16 .......................................................... = 5 tests
MCG... 73-74, 80-81 D, 87-88 D, ......................................................................... = 3 tests
SCG... 73-74 D, 85-86, ........................................................................................ = 2 tests

Was a bit surprised by so many draws at the WACA so looked them up.
1989-90 Greatbatch batted for a day and half to force a draw after Kiwis followed on. A one off test.
1993-94 Flat deck, 24 wickets and 1300 runs
2001-02 Kiwis almost won set Oz 440 to win, Oz were 7/381, Gilchrist saved the day with 83 not out.
2015-16 Flat deck Oz 9/559 Warner 253, NZ 624 Taylor made 290, Oz 7/385, NZ 2/104.

Last edited:
The One Day tournament ("Marsh Cup") is a strange beast this season. I'm sure last year all six states made the play-offs, but this year it's just the top two playing off for the trophy. Each team played seven matches, which is an odd number, literally and figuratively.

Queensland 5/58 vs WA at Captain Grumpy Field

The 50 over format is really the lost child these days. With the advent of T20 no one really knows where it fits and what form the domestic tournament should take. The saving grace for the 50 over game is that the ODI World Cup is the biggest tournament played in the game so the administrators have to keep the format going. The scene will probably change as the T20 World Cup gains momentum. Sadly I can see a time when administrators opt to run only T20 and Test Match cricket.

Considering the amount of rain we had down south it is a miracle that there was as much play as there was. For a couple of hours I was watching the cricket being played at Adelaide Oval while the rain was hitting my lounge room window. It was as if the game was being played in another state.

1/302 is a pretty strong position. Labuschagne is developing into a pretty good no3 and Warner is showing that he is a different batsman in Australian conditions.

lara's 226 still rates better than davey's 300.

said over in the main board that test is my all fav test here.

Lara's wizadry, then Warney spinning his magic on the last day was amazing to witness.
saw both days live. will never forget that test match

Warners innings was amazing to watch live, but lets be honest, that was some of the worst bowling you could expect to see from a pretty garbage bowling lineup. Shaheen Afridi bowled pretty well and got some reward with the new ball, but the rest were terrible

I went to both day 1 and day 2 and that would have to be the worst Pakistani team i have ever seen (apart from Babar Azam.. he is a gun)

You have to give credit where it is due. Warner's innings was one of the best and those who wanted him dropped after the Ashes failures would have red faces. That bowling attack was good enough to destroy Australia A in the lead up games so it isn't hopeless.

Nice to see Warner stick it up all those Poms who had nothing better to do than go to the cricket to boo and jeer one particular player for five days.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You have to give credit where it is due. Warner's innings was one of the best and those who wanted him dropped after the Ashes failures would have red faces. That bowling attack was good enough to destroy Australia A in the lead up games so it isn't hopeless.

Nice to see Warner stick it up all those Poms who had nothing better to do than go to the cricket to boo and jeer one particular player for five days.
The Kiwi bowlers will test him though - I for one am looking forward to seeing a contest for once.

I still want him dropped. Cheating little campaigner

Davey Warner and his BBF Joe Root have had a hare-and-tortoise like race over the years, with Warner scoring more centuries, but Root slightly ahead on average - until Warner's feeding frenzy on the Pakistani carcass (c.500 runs for once out) which has seen his average jump above Root's. Well, young Joe not to be outdone has scored 226 against the Kiwis today, so they're probably neck and neck again.

Davey Warner and his BBF Joe Root have had a hare-and-tortoise like race over the years, with Warner scoring more centuries, but Root slightly ahead on average - until Warner's feeding frenzy on the Pakistani carcass (c.500 runs for once out) which has seen his average jump above Root's. Well, young Joe not to be outdone has scored 226 against the Kiwis today, so they're probably neck and neck again.
Bloody similar across the board with big difference being the obvious scoring rate, and next is converting 50's into 100's with Warner in front on both counts.

Warner converts 35.6% of innings into scores of 50+ Root 38.2%. That is high for an opener. Had to check how high.

Roots 38% conversion rate of innings into 50+ is up there with the best. Of the 54 guys who have had 50+ innings of 50+ runs ( The Don only got to 42 out of 80 innings), only Kenny Barrington and Steve Smith on 42% are substantially more than Root. On 38.x are Sangakkara, Root, and Williamson of NZ. I dumped the figures at this link into a spreadsheet and did the calculation.

s**t I knew it was a high conversion rate but didn't realize it was that high up the pecking order.

Warner's 35.x% puts him in line with other 35-36%ers of Tendulkar, Ponting, Gavaskar, Greg Chappell, Lara, Kallis, Sobers, Inzaman, de Villiers and Mohammad Yousuf (the Christian formerly know as Yousuf Youhana).

Viv Richards is 37.9% the next opener after Root is Len Hutton with 37.7% and then after these two is another opener Gavaskar at 36.9%.

Guys like Bradman, Headley, Sutcliffe and Hobbs didn't play enough test cricket before WWII to get to 50+ scores over 50 and Pollock suffered from the apartheid bans and Walcott and Weekes didn't play enough after WWII.

Warner
SpanMatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s
overall2011-20198114966947335*48.58943873.602330982756

Root

SpanMatInnsNORunsHSAveBFSR1005004s6s
overall2012-20198816212728225448.541338454.401745881620

That is 18 games without a win for the Redbacks.

Not surprisingly the Coach has taken a personal break from the game and speculation is that he isn't coming back.

Did SOD (son of Darren) get dropped for s**t form, or is he injured? The WACA's captain, someone called Ashton Turner, can't buy a run lately either so I wouldn't be surprised to see him being dumped, or picking up an injury.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back