Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

this is what makes me think there is more to it.

I'd be interested in understanding Lloyd's role. He's on the executive (SOS's boss) and I assume reports to Liddle as CEO?

Stuck in the middle or taking sides.... not a fun position.

The more things change eh? Just when we started to look like all pulling in the same direction.

If SOS goes to another club, no bones about it he'll be targeting our guys and know where to poke to cause pain.

Harker, If you keep leaving it for the reader to narrow in on, and deduce, your argument it starts to get tiresome. I don’t think you understand your own argument; other than perhaps that something Just doesn’t feel right. Keep thinking about it, and clarify with us as you yourself get clarity.

Maybe you need it to be spelled out in all too simple terms.

We haven't been a well run organisation for some time now and we continue to be poorly run.
We don't treat our people well and we let them loose doing whatever they want to do and whoever they want to do it to.

There is little organisation, little discipline and little respect for one another. If one hasn't seen this over recent years, one hasn't been looking.
Is that simple enough?

Maybe we didn't hire the right person for the job. Maybe.

Well run clubs don't find themselves in the 'messy' situations all too often but somehow we just can't help ourselves.
Just can't hire the right coaches, can't hire the right recruiters/list managers, can't hire the right CEO's etc and no one leaves us in a manner becoming of a professional organisation. Question should be "Why not?"

There will be fallout for this situation. You can bet on that.
💯
This whole situation makes me itchy from head to toe. A list rebuild is not enough. I can’t help but feel that we need a whole administration rebuild...again. If nothing changes then nothing changes.

SOS is Carlton legend on and off the field. Liddle is an unproven and now suspect hired help.
And Prendergast has been hired to step into the role should we decide to part ways with Liddle.

This whole situation is an absolute disgrace. We are losing one of the best list managers in the game - and the person responsible remains.

This does not sit well with me at all. What a terrible mistake you are making CFC. Absolutely farcical this has been allowed to happen.

The clear PR spin over Curnow’s ‘falling up the stairs’ knee injury may have pulled the wool over most people’s eyes but no PR spin is going to do that this time around.

Hope the supporters make their voice heard - big time.
AGM could be interesting this year.

Jack what you doing man

Oh man, if the media finds out (and they will, those vultures read BF), this will become almost as big a deal as Gary Ablett Jnr liking one of Izzy Folau's homophobic Instagram posts.

Seeme a bit strange to be looking up a player's liked tweets on twitter though, the lad is allowed to have opinions or agree with others, misguided as it may seem.

Let's not condemn the lad for flying the flag for his old man.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oh man, if the media finds out (and they will, those vultures read BF), this will become almost as big a deal as Gary Ablett Jnr liking one of Izzy Folau's homophobic Instagram posts.

Seeme a bit strange to be looking up a player's liked tweets on twitter though, the lad is allowed to have opinions or agree with others, misguided as it may seem.

Let's not condemn the lad for flying the flag for his old man.
I looked it up because someone else mentioned it, but it can show up on your timeline without looking for it. Either way a player openly criticising a CEO is interesting territory.

I looked it up because someone else mentioned it, but it can show up on your timeline without looking for it. Either way a player openly criticising a CEO is interesting territory.

Fair enough, I have no issue with it myself, hard to see Liddle surviving the fallout from this fiasco personally, even if we are not allowed to sack him for legal reasons (as Barass alluded to a few days ago)

You have no idea.
Perfect list build. He needed to bring in players that would only be around for a year of two. Those players cost virtually nothing. Have a look at our list now. We have talent everywhere.
Good luck with Cain’s mate Mick Agresta becoming in charge. This club is doomed!!
I thought Agresta was Sos's mate.

Guessing he wants a trade at the end of the year if Liddle is still there?

Did Ben like it as well?

Its his dad at the end of the day, you know his first hero in life, happens to be a legend of the club he loves to boot..... and therein lies the problem I think!

He has two boys on the list and this situation was always going to end up like this. Jack backs his dad and I would say that Steve would back his sons to the hilt also...that's family! When it's all said and done can he really remove himself from delisting his boys when it comes time for that? remove himself from their contract negotiations which will affect their lives and also the lives of the other players who operate under the same salary cap? I think we all know the answer to this deep down. It's unavoidable and if the name wasn't Silvagni it would be agreed by all supporters it's not the best situation.

From what we hear he was always planning to vacate the role at the end of next season anyway. He has done a fantastic job but in reality the heavy lifting is done. It's up to the coaches of the club now to take the list forward.
This situation brings it about one year earlier. Not a great look for the CEO that's for sure, seems to be a bit too eager. But in saying that and knowing the ego of SOS as well it's two alpha males that can't get along here, it happens in business and most of the times it is untenable particularly between managers.

The person to go is usually the one lower on the food chain, particularly if the higher up manager is doing a good job, which we can all agree apart from this clash of personalities Liddle seems to be doing. A few months ago we were all singing his praises.

The club is bigger than the individual and everyone needs to take a chill pill here, the list is in fantastic shape thanks to SOS and we the members and supporters will never forget that (we are the club at the end of the day!). Off field we are in the best shape we have been for 25 years and the membership and revenues of the club are forecast to continue improving. Good players want to come to Carlton again and this will only continue in the next 5 years. Things are good and we should not lose sight of that because SOS has decided to retire a year early.

Everyone relax!

Agresta is undoubtedly Liddle’s man and would be a disaster.

Not that this is reflective of his overall ability as a list manager, just another hilarious chapter in the Agresta files: when we met Adelaide at AFL House to finalise the Eddie deal, he made both teams wait over an hour because he forgot to bring Eddie’s power of attorney forms. Wasn’t a popular man that day.
Agresta doesnt strike me as a strong and confident type needed to lead the charge. I wouldn't be comfortable in him being our lead man in future deals. Not doubting his ability as a talent identifier but the top dog has to be a certain type of person.

I'd be interested in understanding Lloyd's role. He's on the executive (SOS's boss) and I assume reports to Liddle as CEO?

Stuck in the middle or taking sides.... not a fun position.

The more things change eh? Just when we started to look like all pulling in the same direction.

If SOS goes to another club, no bones about it he'll be targeting our guys and know where to poke to cause pain.
Yep Jack and Ben first cab's off the rank.

Maybe you need it to be spelled out in all too simple terms.

We haven't been a well run organisation for some time now and we continue to be poorly run.
We don't treat our people well and we let them loose doing whatever they want to do and whoever they want to do it to.

There is little organisation, little discipline and little respect for one another. If one hasn't seen this over recent years, one hasn't been looking.
Is that simple enough?
This whole episode takes me back to 1979. I loved Jezza, as we all did. He was shafted and in no way deserved it. Finished his playing day's at the Aints and probably has not returned to the club since.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back