Day/night Test cricket

Remove this Banner Ad

well as of next week, 14 d/n tests will have been played over the last 4 years.

7 in Australia (1,2,1,1,2 - last 5 summers)
2 in UAE
1 in India, England, South Africa, New Zealand & West Indies.

can't wait for the perth d/n next week - gonna be on late for the eastern states :)

Seriously, it's so predictable. Old pink ball? Middle of the day? Watch it do less than nothing for the bowlers.

I'm astonished how little attention this has gotten. Maybe people have short memories and don't pay attention to the fact that the same matches with the same innings shapes are getting played over and over again.

Was listening to the commentary on the radio yesterday and they were discussing why the ball was doing nothing. Three bowlers all said "I don't know". Really? Finally one of the commentators stated the obvious, it's the pink ball. Are they not allowed to criticise it or something?

Was listening to the commentary on the radio yesterday and they were discussing why the ball was doing nothing. Three bowlers all said "I don't know". Really? Finally one of the commentators stated the obvious, it's the pink ball. Are they not allowed to criticise it or something?

Is that much different to the red ball though?
Isnt it just a case of the ball doing the same things as the red ball but at different times?

Isnt it just a case of the ball doing the same things as the red ball but at different times?

The Kookaburra red ball already gets complaints for how quickly it stops assisting the bowlers. The pink ball exacerbates the problem, and adds to it by making night time+new ball a very likely flurry of wicket, something the red ball doesn't offer.

This is all based on observation, of course, but it'd be good if one of those current or former Cricinfo maths gurus took a look at it.

The Kookaburra red ball already gets complaints for how quickly it stops assisting the bowlers. The pink ball exacerbates the problem, and adds to it by making night time+new ball a very likely flurry of wicket, something the red ball doesn't offer.

This is all based on observation, of course, but it'd be good if one of those current or former Cricinfo maths gurus took a look at it.

I think the red ball offers more at the start of an innings, and if maintained well a decent swing bowler can usually get it to reverse.

the pink ball seems to do a bit at the start but not for as long, and doesn’t seem to reverse after say, 50 overs. But new or old it seems to do plenty under lights - moreso when it is new but just in general.

I like that it is different

I think the red ball offers more at the start of an innings, and if maintained well a decent swing bowler can usually get it to reverse.

the pink ball seems to do a bit at the start but not for as long, and doesn’t seem to reverse after say, 50 overs. But new or old it seems to do plenty under lights - moreso when it is new but just in general.

Our bowlers haven't got much reverse in the last eighteen months.

But it's new and different and I'm scared.

lol true. Time for a Bunnings visit?
Out of all the available colours of sandpaper available I still can't believe the idiot decided to pick brilliant yellow.

We didn't get the ball to swing either and it was in such good condition the umps even let us keep bowling with it, might as well have just let ab smash a few sixes would have done a better job on the ball than bancroft.

There's nothing wrong with it being different (despite what Kram thinks I'm saying), but the pink ball has is much more consistent in when and how it offers variation, to the point of predictability. That is the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I though the first pink ball game vs the kiwis was great, felt very different to a typical aussie test as the bowlers were always in the game day or night new or old ball.

Which was, as either mentioned in this thread or another one about the pink ball, was because it was an atypical Adelaide pitch, leaving grass on the wicket so the ball wouldn't deteriorate so rapidly.

Balls in general are a massive issue.

The white/pink balls don't do enough for long enough. They've tried 26 versions of the pink ball and are getting closer (initially they fell apart and curators had to prepare wickets differently) but still a way to go.

A bigger issue is that the red Kookaburra ball does bugger all now too. If you look at a Kookaburra Turf ball the seam is barely raised above the curved surface of the ball. Within a few overs on a hard pitch the seam has flattened to the same height as the ball surface and swing disappears. Have they always been like this?

The Duke has a much harder and more raised seam. It moves around for longer.

At our club we have a few Duke balls mixed in with our training balls and they are good for multiple weeks whereas the Kookaburras are worn out after a couple of trainings.

I think Kookaburra needs to alter their premium ball, making the seam closer to that of the Kookaburra Regulation. Failing that it might be time to switch to the Duke.

I thought they tried the Duke ball in a few Shield matches a couple of years ago - how did it perform?
They still do. Back end of each Shield season.

Anecdotally it does more. Just the impression from a few players I've spoken to and my observations. However I haven't analysed scores/results

The pink ball kinda reminds me of when people "discovered" reverse swing. Suddenly, we had bowlers just rolling the arm over waiting for the ball to reverse. Now we see captains going through the motions waiting for the lights to kick in with the new ball. It is making much of the interim cricket rather dreary to watch.

Well they are manufactured differently for a start and the commentator (sorry I can't remember who it was) also said it had an extra layer of lacquer on it because it was wearing out too quickly.

But it's new and different and I'm scared.

More like it's new and different and rubbish.

Well they are manufactured differently for a start and the commentator (sorry I can't remember who it was) also said it had an extra layer of lacquer on it because it was wearing out too quickly.

More like it's new and different and rubbish.

we follow a sport that is premised on variables. Bats are different from player to player. Pitches are different from not only ground to ground, but week to week. Ground sizes are different everywhere.Because of the game length different teams get different weather conditions. 3 Ball manufacturers create their red ball differently. I don’t see why this should be treated any differently.

The pink ball kinda reminds me of when people "discovered" reverse swing. Suddenly, we had bowlers just rolling the arm over waiting for the ball to reverse. Now we see captains going through the motions waiting for the lights to kick in with the new ball. It is making much of the interim cricket rather dreary to watch.

now this I do agree with. Captains and bowlers need to start to find ways around it.

There aren't any ways around it

that’s like saying that in flat conditions with a red ball, bowlers and captains may as well give up. Build a spin attack that can function well, experiment with tactical fields. Hell, Neil Wagner has been my whipping boy for 2 years but the guy has a knack for making things happen when the ball and pitch won’t cooperate

well as of next week, 14 d/n tests will have been played over the last 4 years.

7 in Australia (1,2,1,1,2 - last 5 summers)
2 in UAE
1 in India, England, South Africa, New Zealand & West Indies.

can't wait for the perth d/n next week - gonna be on late for the eastern states :)
Love it. Packer started day/night Supertests. like four decades back...lol.. took until after he died for the ICC to get with the times...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back