Remove this Banner Ad

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Astounded to see no mention of Ginger Baker's passing last month. Irritable and at times downright nasty, Baker was never shy with a strong opinion, e.g. John Bonham: "couldn't swing a sack of s**t"; Keith Moon: "not really a great drummer"; Mitch Mitchell: "hopeless journeyman"; the Stones: "little kids trying to play blues and playing it very badly". Nevertheless Baker's work with Cream stands as a rock monument, however much he hated being referred to as a rock drummer.

Died in hospital at 80 after a series of medical ailments in recent years, the result of a life hard-lived.

Ginger Baker: the world of music pays tribute
Eric Clapton Announces Ginger Baker Tribute Concert

A celebrated documentary was released in 2012.

Idea inspired by a similar thread on another forum. If an artist of lesser stature than a Prince or a Michael Jackson passes on, perhaps it can be acknowledged here.

I watched The 2005 Royal Albert Hall Cream reunion dvd for the first time last night.

Pretty impressive performance from 3 guys over 60 who hardly played on stage with each other.

There wasn't much media attention about Bakers passing, I remember hearing more about Bruce when he died.

Not hard to figure out why once you watch the documentary, Great drummer but thats where the positives about him finish.

Stuart Fraser, guitarist with Noiseworks, from lung cancer on Sunday Dec 1. Also backed Barnes and Farnham at various times.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back