Training Training thread - news and live reports

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why do I feel, Shaw speaks McDonalds language.. like an old mule the only way to get it move is bring out the whip.

Poor kid has been crying out for discipline yet he got a lesson building a property portfolio.

Also, both F/S. Both experienced the pressure of playing for the club their dad played for and the pressure that goes with it... I think LMac will have a big year and surprise a few people based on the guidance from Shaw with regard to this - or he’ll encourage him to leave for an interstate club!!!

There was plenty of excitement for not only the draftees, but within the current playing list, with Trent Dumont looking forward to working with his new teammates.

“You come into the environment with your eyes open, just trying to take everything in like a sponge,” he told North Media.

“Us boys will just doing what we can to make them feel as comfortable as possible.”

WATCH: Rhyce Shaw visits Jack Mahony
The memories of being selected still resonate with Dumont, who was selected with pick 30 in the 2013 Draft.

“They’ve (the recruits) got a story they have to write now, and it’s an exciting time for them,” he said.

“There’s a lot of hard work ahead, but we as a group have to be there for them now and to support them as best we can.

“The advice I’d give would be to be as open to learning as much as possible. Sit up with the coaches, learn from them, and get to know your teammates, as that connection helps to receive feedback.

“They’ll hopefully add plenty to this club in the future, and we can share success together.”

Head of development, Gavin Brown said that the first week is likely to be a light one for the youngsters.

“It’s a low-key week for them. It’s an introduction to the program, and they will join in training where they can,” he said.

“We’ll slowly build them up until we feel we can fully integrate them into the program.”

The first-year players head to Rye for a training camp on Monday afternoon.

Check out the best photos from the session below.

021219_Gallery5.jpg

Jack Ziebell.

021219_Gallery6.jpg

Josh Walker listens to Jade Rawlings.

021219_Gallery7.jpg

Robbie Tarrant and Aiden Bonar.

021219_Gallery8.jpg

Ben McKay.

021219_Gallery9.jpg

Paul Ahern and Ben Brown.

021219_Gallery10.jpg

Luke McDonald is running again.

021219_Gallery11.jpg

Tristan Xerri breaks Shaun Atley's tackle.

021219_Gallery12.jpg

Ben Cunnington evades Joel Crocker.

021219_Gallery13.jpg

Aiden Bonar gets a handball off under pressure.

021219_Gallery14.jpg

WWorking hard.

021219_Gallery16.jpg

TTarryn Thomas tackles Ben McKay.
Is it just me or does Josh Walker look like BMacs older brother..

I agree Maj is a lock if he gets back to where he left off in 2018. However, it’s still a very big question mark. It would be a phenomenal effort on his part if he were to manage it - I think. The odds are still very much against him. We can but hope...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
I wanna see Maj in a different role. Let Tarrant, Walker, and Durdin play as key talls, I want to see Maj in space, run and carry, breaking lines (and opponents), bouncing, finding targets and or kicking goals from defence.

Also, both F/S. Both experienced the pressure of playing for the club their dad played for and the pressure that goes with it... I think LMac will have a big year and surprise a few people based on the guidance from Shaw with regard to this - or he’ll encourage him to leave for an interstate club!!!

And also also... shaw moved to Sydney at age 28 and went on to play 5 more seasons? He knows how to change environment, shape up and change direction to a new goal. Now he's the head coach of North Melbourne. He has a lot he can use to teach the boys for those willing to listen.

Anyway, Rat was out there actually playing, not just as an onfield coach. Playing.

It was interesting, they were clearly using him as kind of a yardstick for the mids - this player is faster and stronger than anyone you'll come up against except the very elite women players, if you can stop him, you can stop anyone. He was also being tagged, again, setting the tagger a standard that if she works to in W games, will blanket anyone.

A few times he did things, mostly evasive stuff - always a key skill of his - where I was like wow this bloke was playing senior AFL footy four months, bit harsh having him out there against women who are part time but then it showed he was taking it very seriously.

He hit a few passes into the forward, again, a key skill, that were sublime, but were also kicks the women could hit, and many of them did, Emma Kearney in particular with one beautiful long pass.

Two thins struck me:

1) The spirit of mutual respect and shared endeavour between Rat and the women he's playing with/coaching. I defy anyone to say "Oh, he's being made to do it because of the evil forces that have take over the club".

2) People who say "If a man identifies as a woman, she must be treated as one and preventing her from playing any women's sport is transphobic hatred" is just so plainly full of s**t and pushing a crappy political agenda it isn't funny. A joke, ludicrous.

Our women's team was one the best last year and in Emma Kearney has one of the premier mids in the game. Hrovat is so much faster and stronger than her it isn't funny. And as I said, Emma is a gun, goes as hard as anyone and hit a perfect long pass, its just physiology.

Yet Rat couldn't get a game for a side that didn't make finals in the men's for most of the year.

I really enjoy watching the women's game evolve and watching them train is fascinating, but jeez, this notion of letting people born male play againsgt people born women is just so stupid.
Can add further to well worded training notes above...

* Shaw pulled aside one of our recognised guns and told him his efforts aren't good enough. Took it very well and the next session there was a huge improvement.
* The players are going 100 miles an hour, and the club cannot stop them. lol
* the physicality is off any charts that would include the month of December and probably Jan & Feb.
* Walker made a couple of mistakes as he doesn't understand our new set up, which involves not over committing to the ball, ya know how we use to have everyone sucked into the contest, no longer going to happen.
* Wood is trialling as a back man, is doing ok as well. We're really going to try and run the fu** out of our defence and deliver low bullet like passes to those further up the ground. No " hang time" is the call and yes we are practising this regularly.

Don't think I've seen a report like this in about half a decade. I loved the days when these would come rolling through on bigfooty. I remember hearing very promising commentary on a young Djaran Whyman.

So whoever has been to training quite often does it seem like we are Focusing on way more skills training/drills in comparison to previous years?

Way more.

Can someone pls illuminate me as to the origin of the whole player/property portfolio thing?
Brad said one of his goals was to ensure his players would have enough money in the bank to afford houses when they retired. Fiscally responsible young men

In true BF style we have all run with it and now think half the team are property magnates

Can someone pls illuminate me as to the origin of the whole player/property portfolio thing?
Braddles had Rinehart, Murdoch and Fox looking over their shoulders, such was the meteoric rise of the property tycoons on our list.

Unfortunately, they couldn't kick a football.

Brad said one of his goals was to ensure his players would have enough money in the bank to afford houses when they retired. Fiscally responsible young men

In true BF style we have all run with it and now think half the team are property magnates
Didn’t one of the training sessions involve Scott Pape, the barefoot investor?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He actually had property advisors in to talk to the group, like as part of training, I'll see if I can't dig up the link.

He actually had property advisors in to talk to the group, like as part of training, I'll see if I can't dig up the link.

Saved you the time.

Apparently Ben Buckley had a fit when he saw the agenda and raft of guest speakers for the "2019 NMFC Preseason Boot Camp"-

1575322924853.png

Don't fu** with me tao.

Yeah I know right, motherhood pregame statements are out and actual structure is in. The players had even learnt that if you're out by even a metre in a contest, that will lead to 2x loose players x1 shot on goal or someone such.
Through flow on effect of course, now I wasn't particularly that interested as my job is to be a happy fan, and leave the coaching to the coaches. It would now seem they have it covered :thumbsu:

So too the bar we go :)

It’s just a way to have a crack at Brad Scott.

For some strange reason giving a * about your player’s welfare after their career is over is a bad thing

It’s just a way to have a crack at Brad Scott.

For some strange reason giving a fu** about your player’s welfare after their career is over is a bad thing
What a stretch. You know what helps a player's career when it's over? Having some actual success in football. Maybe getting a few more years on contracts because the side is winning or going straight into an assistant coaching position because you've got a flag on your resume. Any footballer can buy a house with the salaries they have these days, their finances post footy have nothing to do with the coach. It's up to him to make sure they still have careers by actually focusing on footy and dominating in their current profession.

What a stretch. You know what helps a player's career when it's over? Having some actual success in football. Maybe getting a few more years on contracts because the side is winning or going straight into an assistant coaching position because you've got a flag on your resume. Any footballer can buy a house with the salaries they have these days, their finances post footy have nothing to do with the coach. It's up to him to make sure they still have careers by actually focusing on footy and dominating in their current profession.
Thats great HOF but there are only so many coaching gigs and spots on a list. Just showed he had an interest in his players. No big deal.

Thats great HOF but there are only so many coaching gigs and spots on a list. Just showed he had an interest in his players. No big deal.
That's just two examples of what success gets you post footy. There's media, endorsements, public speaking etc. too.

It's not as simple as showing an interest in his players. It's about priorities. I believe the original quote referred to creating fine citizens who have the capital to invest in property. I don't see that as being altruistic to be honest, a coach's priority shouldn't be to lift their players into the class of the landed gentry. I mean, he's not a financial planner, who even knows if it's particularly good advice if the property bubble bursts?

Worst of all it's detrimental to the club and their supporters. Player welfare and football success should be concerns 1 and 2 for a coach. Leave the neoliberal cashgrubbing mumbo jumbo to the agents and managers.

Anyway, ******* glad we've got Rhyce now.

That's just two examples of what success gets you post footy. There's media, endorsements, public speaking etc. too.

It's not as simple as showing an interest in his players. It's about priorities. I believe the original quote referred to creating fine citizens who have the capital to invest in property. I don't see that as being altruistic to be honest, a coach's priority shouldn't be to lift their players into the class of the landed gentry. I mean, he's not a financial planner, who even knows if it's particularly good advice if the property bubble bursts?

Worst of all it's detrimental to the club and their supporters. Player welfare and football success should be concerns 1 and 2 for a coach. Leave the neoliberal cashgrubbing mumbo jumbo to the agents and managers.

Anyway, ******* glad we've got Rhyce now.

Very well put posts.

Let's ignore commercial ventures.

Would you expect the head of the RSPCA to tell all their staff and volunteers "at the end of the day animal livelihood and welfare is secondary, I just want to make sure you're all enrichened by the experience of being involved with the RSPCA and better for it?"

Seems ridiculous because it wouldn't be placing the core business front and centre, right?...

Anyway yes agree. Change as a good as a holiday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back