Unpopular Port Adelaide opinion you may have

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Every year people think this, every...... single..... year.....

Last year it was "Oh, look we've changed, we'll definitely start to improve now"

Then round 2 comes along and it's all "we could be a top 4 shot, we beat Melbourne"

Then 2 weeks later we realise Melbourne are junk. Some people still live in denial at this point "you cant just say they are crap, and that's why we beat them. We broke their spirits we were so good."

Then round 10-12 comes along and most people have accepted it. With only the most ardent RCG wearer holding onto hope of greatness

But then by round 16-20 comes virtually everyone has finally realised its not happening and it's the same things over and over and over and over again with this team and coaching group. We aren't improving we're just continuing to tread water in this middle pack.

Even if we were to realistically forget our past, we have picked up some good kids but realistically only 1 might make the best 22, and we've lost a few fringe to best 22 players, so there's no obvious upward swing in this group.

Meanwhile our only elite players are on the wrong side of 30 and we traded out a dual AA for a bag of chips

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Not sure if it's unpopular or not but it seems I'm the only guy thinking it's a missed opportunity not filling all the Cat B spots.

Pudney was stiff to be replaced by an empty slot.
1575337588012.png

But we are trying to fix our s**t culture, he doesn't game on PC.

The XBox Kinect was the final straw.

Real Port men collect $700,000pa to impersonate a turtle while instilling that awesome winning culture from that golden Brisbane era of 2010-2017.

EskimoPAFC

The Comebacks & Family Man
Dec 17, 2017
Success without Premierships
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Ken is a shot at turning things around with the young players we have brought in.

As God awful as he has been over the past 5 years I can't help but think this is still an outside shot, particularly with him finally going on training this off season.

At some point between the end of season 2019 and the start of 2020 he needs to wake up to himself. So many of the mistakes he makes are just outrageously stupid and thus easy to fix. He gets one absolutely final roll of the dice for me.

The first step he would need to take would be to get on the front foot, pick a captain, announce it, and then pick a well structured forward line for round 1. The second step is keeping a well structured forward line by round 5. Those are the three things to look out for in the coming months.

JUSTWORK

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I think Ken is a shot at turning things around with the young players we have brought in.
The only reason he is a shot of turning things around has nothing to do with the young players we have recruited. The list has been good enough to be at least contending the last 5 years.

The only reason he has a shot, will be as a result of pure desperation. He knows as well as we all do come the end of 2020 if we don't play finals he is out of a job and even if we do sneak in unless we are seriously contending this year and/or next the wont be here beyond 2021. There is no playing it safe for him this year is very much an all or nothing.

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

When we went for high risk high reward types in the draft, everyone was loving our bold, shoot for the stars strategy.

Keeping Wingard and getting him back to his best was a low risk, high reward option, because even playing "bad" football he was our best midfielder in the back half of 2018. He played below his best because he was ridden into the ground by Hinkleyball. Burton and Duursma look like they are going to be pretty good for us, but the fact remains that we gave up a genuine elite talent to get them.

When we went for high risk high reward types in the draft, everyone was loving our bold, shoot for the stars strategy.

Keeping Wingard and getting him back to his best was a low risk, high reward option, because even playing "bad" football he was our best midfielder in the back half of 2018. He played below his best because he was ridden into the ground by Hinkleyball. Burton and Duursma look like they are going to be pretty good for us, but the fact remains that we gave up a genuine elite talent to get them.

Yeah but he’ll be back in 2021

Jonts

Brownlow Medallist
Nov 7, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Flagstaff Hill FC, Tottenham
Might be crucified for this one.

Port Adelaide accepted giving up the prison bars when entering the AFL.

Collingwood’s reluctance to permit the jumper is not unreasonable - they are just holding us to what was agreed.
Can you find me a precedent of a team not being allowed to wear what it wants on home games?

MrPlow

Club Legend
Oct 25, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Even if that's true (What I have never seen anything , the whole agreement is purely s**t imo)

Having a s**t arrangement doesn't mean we should just sit on our hands and live with it

That’s fair and I don’t disagree - the club should rightly be pushing to bring back the bars

But purely from Collingwood’s perspective, if we assume there was an agreement, it’s within their right to enforce it

Coobk001

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 26, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
SA Spurs, Anaheim Ducks, White Sox
Might be crucified for this one.

Port Adelaide accepted giving up the prison bars when entering the AFL.

Collingwood’s reluctance to permit the jumper is not unreasonable - they are just holding us to what was agreed.
I'm with ya. The PBs should remain for special occasions, but we've moved on from them and it was a small price to pay to enter the AFL. I actually think the #bringbackthebars campaign is embarrassing, and pointlessly divisive as we will not and should not ever wear the PBs as a home jumper in the AFL.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That’s fair and I don’t disagree - the club should rightly be pushing to bring back the bars

But purely from Collingwood’s perspective, if we assume there was an agreement, it’s within their right to enforce it
Think you might find that there was a letter sent to Port from Collingwood President saying that if Port finished higher on AFL ladder, three years running, then Port could wear the "prison bars", and Port did. Someone posted it on here. Not sure if I copied it, will look.

I actually think the #bringbackthebars campaign is embarrassing, and pointlessly divisive as we will not and should not ever wear the PBs as a home jumper in the AFL.

I think I've said this to you before, but you've missed the point of the campaign by a fair margin.

We're fighting for the right to wear it when we choose, and that's a very different, and much more important thing, than what home jumper we wear.

I actually agree with you that the PBs should be given a special status that we can use for special occasions. However, as it stands right now, we don't even have the right to do that without approval from Collingwood.

For reference, we applied to wear it more than once in 2020, but we're only wearing it once in 2020.
That's why #bringbackthebars exists and will continue to exist until this is no longer the case.

Port Adelaide because it’s what the club expressly agreed to upon entry into the AFL

So what? Governments change stupid laws made by previous governments all the time. Contracts get amended or just plain torn up all the time. Some flimsy agreement made 25 years ago in a totally different climate (eg no clash guernseys yet, PAFC just desperate to enter the AFL at all costs, etc) isn't worth s**t now. We also agreed to split the club into 2 at that time but we changed that. And we should change this too.

Jan 16, 2009
Heaps good
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Magpies, Bulls & Cricket Aus
So what? Governments change stupid laws made by previous governments all the time. Contracts get amended or just plain torn up all the time. Some flimsy agreement made 25 years ago in a totally different climate (eg no clash guernseys yet, PAFC just desperate to enter the AFL at all costs, etc) isn't worth s**t now. We also agreed to split the club into 2 at that time but we changed that. And we should change this too.
We were always going to be owned by the Sanfl, Adelaide oval was never going to happen, the magpies would never be our reserves team. Sometimes you have to agree to a s**t sandwich to get into the restaurant , eventually we get what we want.

PowerLil

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2012
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
As God awful as he has been over the past 5 years I can't help but think this is still an outside shot, particularly with him finally going on training this off season.

At some point between the end of season 2019 and the start of 2020 he needs to wake up to himself. So many of the mistakes he makes are just outrageously stupid and thus easy to fix. He gets one absolutely final roll of the dice for me.

The first step he would need to take would be to get on the front foot, pick a captain, announce it, and then pick a well structured forward line for round 1. The second step is keeping a well structured forward line by round 5. Those are the three things to look out for in the coming months.
I understand this is the unpopular opinion thread but this clown has been in the job 7 years going into his 8th. Have any of his behaviours ever indicated he learns from his mistakes? His biggest issue is to actually recognise his mistakes. He has never acknowledged or accepted blame apart from his half time talk in the Geelong semi in 2013. He is as arrogant as he is stupid.

Back