Statue for SOS

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 5, 2012
Canberra
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
There can be only 1
care to tell me who is harder and more physical ?

there is not one team
joel selwood is harder and more physical than your entire team put together. Heres just two examples for ya.
Rance feints at the sound of footsteps. Jack is always bitching about contact. IF they were any more harder or more physical Daffy Duck will need a body guard

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
From Where You'd Rather Be
AFL Club
Carlton
we dont try to hold players at our club like some other clubs

our best 22 is too good for dan atm, but for a lesser club he would be a steal and a top 10 lock .

he did his ankle in 2018 and couldnt turn it around but showed signs that he is back to his old self in the premiership winning vfl team this year. it was just too late for him to break into our afl premiership side.
if we had dan and eddie betts on our list in 2020, and had to choose one of them, dan would play 25 games and eddie would play in the 2s. you hang onto that feel good story though
Sweet baby Jesus this is good stuff.

Give me more pls.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
I like how Carlton supporters dismiss the teams that finished around them. Not sure Carlton is any better than 50/50 to finish above each of St.Kilda, Melbourne, Fremantle or Sydney.

That was a pretty obvious quip about St Kilda’s tendency to overpay for players.

I agree we will be around similar range to Fremantle and Sydney. Melbourne will push back into the 8, and St Kilda are a complete unknown at this stage.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
I like how Carlton supporters dismiss the teams that finished around them. Not sure Carlton is any better than 50/50 to finish above each of St.Kilda, Melbourne, Fremantle or Sydney.
Carlton won't finish ahead of any of those teams. They still have a couple more seasons to undo Silvagni's work before they'll track upwards.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
This Butler chat reminds me of when we got torched for missing out on Shane Savage to St Kilda. A young star mid on the rise who had played in a top Hawthorn side. I was told he would've walked into our top 5 and been a 200-gamer for us.

What a disaster it was missing out on him.

I imagine the Butler situation will be the same. Betts will kick 30-40 goals for us, we will land Papley next year and all will be rosy in the small forward department.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Actually reminds me of last season when Richmond supporters were spruiking Anthony Miles and Reece Conca.

Help us if Ivan Soldo or George Costagna ever come out of contract.

Jan 14, 2002
AFL Club
Richmond
This is actually incorrect.

Under SOS:

First round picks obtained via poor finishes - 5

First round picks obtained via savvy trading (not including former first rounders) - 6 (really 7 given we split Pick 9 for Kemp/Philp)

Then of course Plowman, Marchbank, Kennedy, Setterfield for mid-range picks and Jack Martin as an early Christmas present from Gold Coast.
Every team gets first round round picks, not just the teams with poor finishes. It's the relative positioning of these first rounders due to poor vs high finishes that dictates the quality of the incoming draft selections. And Carlton have had the most enviable array of top end picks of any non-expansion club over the last decade and a half by a mile. Due almost entirely to their own incompetence.

What you're also overlooking is the existing top end picks on the Carlton list before SOS landed the gig, including No 1 picks in the National Draft Murphy, Kreuzer and Gibbs, the latter of which generated two of those "savvy trading" first round picks of which you speak. It's a fairly handy starting point for any list manager.

FWIW, I believe Marchbank was an oustanding trade and will be a star for years to come.

Wasn't Sos's fault, we were already on the bottom when he took over.
I think you're confusing the apportioning of blame with not giving all the credit. Very different concepts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
Sweet baby Jesus this is good stuff.

Give me more pls.

its true it would be very nice to have Miles or Lloyd in the twos but let them go due to richmond people holistic these days

Actually reminds me of last season when Richmond supporters were spruiking Anthony Miles and Reece Conca.

Help us if Ivan Soldo or George Costagna ever come out of contract.

Freo thought conca was good enough to give 2 million dollars

like Carlton thinking JMartin is good enough for 2million/24 months

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
its true it would be very nice to have Miles or Lloyd in the twos but let them go due to richmond people holistic these days

How much over 5 years can you suss it out for me pls.

Sep 16, 2014
Argyle Victoria
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Ophidian Old Boys

I must have missed this. Did Carlton give him a two year contract worth two million?

nineteen eighty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2003
Sydney
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
TIGERS
I read a post from a Tigers supporter in this thread that in certain situations Butler could be a top 10 pick for a club.

In my opinion, never would Dan be a top 10 player.

I read a post from a Blues supporter describing him as a role player. Absolutely spot on imo. He was unbelievably fantastic for us in 17. His pressure off the ball was a key part of the game plan. He, Rioli, Castagna and Townsend were a key reason in us winning the flag that year. He played his role beautifully. Thanks Dan for the memories. Go well!!!!

Jun 14, 2015
In a house with a sausage dog Trevor
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Port Adelaide Power
joel selwood is harder and more physical than your entire team put together.
Joel Selwood literally bathes himself in oil before a game so he can get a little extra millage out of his ducking. He whinges to the umpires every moment he gets.

He's soft as s**t.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
You mean "premiership ruckman" Ivan Soldo and "dual premiership forward" Jason Costagna, don't you?

Being a premiership player is overrated as hell.

There will always be average players in a team of 22, and Richmond have plenty of foot soldiers in their 22 who have been in the right place at the right time and made the most of their limited ability.

Jul 14, 2005
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
What you're also overlooking is the existing top end picks on the Carlton list before SOS landed the gig, including No 1 picks in the National Draft Murphy, Kreuzer and Gibbs, the latter of which generated two of those "savvy trading" first round picks of which you speak. It's a fairly handy starting point for any list manager.

No I’m not overlooking this at all - I’m referring specifically to the first round we’ve brought in by Silvagni through trades: Curnow, McKay, Cuningham, O’Brien, Stocker, Kemp and Philp.

Edit - yes, we traded Gibbs. We also refused to trade him for less than he was worth, hence the stalemate the year before. The point being we’ve generated max value in each trade. The McAnsey and 2020 GWS 1st for Stocker/Kemp/Philp was elite trading.

Jun 6, 2011
Goonellebah
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Islanders
This Butler chat reminds me of when we got torched for missing out on Shane Savage to St Kilda. A young star mid on the rise who had played in a top Hawthorn side. I was told he would've walked into our top 5 and been a 200-gamer for us.

What a disaster it was missing out on him.

I imagine the Butler situation will be the same. Betts will kick 30-40 goals for us, we will land Papley next year and all will be rosy in the small forward department.

Shane Savage would be a top 5 player at the Blues.

Also, I can tell you with certainty, there's absolutely no chance Papley will go to the Blues after they did the dirty on him. Promised him the world and failed to deliver when it counted. Unlike Martin, Papley is an elite player and has multiple options, and it's safe to say, he's crossed Carlton off his list.

chunkylover53

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 13, 2008
AFL Club
Carlton
Also, I can tell you with certainty, there's absolutely no chance Papley will go to the Blues after they did the dirty on him. Promised him the world and failed to deliver when it counted. Unlike Martin, Papley is an elite player and has multiple options, and it's safe to say, he's crossed Carlton off his list.
Did the dirty? I thought he wasn't on the table after it was confirmed Daniher was staying. They weren't going to let go of their 2nd best forward and get nobody in.

Is there more to it Buzzy boy? If so, please share.

YeOldTiger

67-69-73-74-80-17-19-20
Jul 22, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Claremont Tigers, Glenelg Tigers
Just quietly I reckon the list manager that has won 2 flags in the last 5 years has done alright
Seven players off the rookie list in this year's flag. All brought in this decade off the back of heavily compromised drafts. Thats list management.

What has SOS done? Recycled about 20 ex GWS nuffies and taken Blues from a bottom 4 club to a...bottom 4 club. You sacked your coach mid way though this year. Was that SOS's idea? Did he take any of the responsibility ? He created the list.

Yep genius.

If you want t to put up a statue to him as a great player, fair enough. As a list manager, you have got to be joking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back