Richmond and Collingwood, the winners of the AFL's expansion drafts

Remove this Banner Ad

as far as im concerned the afl didnt give a rats ass when richmond was in the shitter during save our skins or when we were s**t for 37 years. The fact that we had to rebuild during compromised drafts also didnt even make a blip on the AFL's radar. The fact that GC's gun players ended up at richmond is just karma for that sh*tstain of a club being in existence. Long may they rot at the bottom.
With Carlton .

Go CATTERS

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

And its started.......again. Richmond fans ..... just add a flag and they turn into complete flogs.

Can Big Footy please delevop an ignor button for teams please!

Then Tigers fans can just come on here and blow hot air up each others arses without troubling the rest of us.

Now trot off and go thank Gill and the boys for that gift wrapped flag you just won.

The salty tears are just the best, they keep me young :p

The salty tears are just the best, they keep me young :p

LOL.

Its perfectly understandable really. The flogish Richmond supporter. All those years being the joke of the competition and finally getting their sh!t together (with a healthy leg up from Gill and the fixturing boys).

I miss the days watching Tigers fans hurling abuse and spit at their players and coaches. Quality behaviour so no surprises the lack of class when you finally won something.

So true, Compare Richmond supporters to West Coast supporters after their flags. And i support the team that the Eagles rolled! I guess theyre letting out some anger after 37 years of coping s**t. Kinda like the school nerd that becomes the shopping centre security gaurd with a segway.
Oh you poor little thing. You and the West coast whiners both like to have a little sook. That's it, let it out. Bottling up those emotions does nobody any good.

LOL.

Its perfectly understandable really. The flogish Richmond supporter. All those years being the joke of the competition and finally getting their sh!t together (with a healthy leg up from Gill and the fixturing boys).

I miss the days watching Tigers fans hurling abuse and spit at their players and coaches. Quality behaviour so no surprises the lack of class when you finally won something.

Being Premiers is great but the icing on the cake is the excuses and whining from those who can't accept the truth. I'm getting younger everyday 😁

Last edited:

What's it like being part of a supporter base who cheers off a player after he king hits an opposition player on the field?

LOL.

Young man, I could bring up the old Matt Barber as coach helping you to a couple of flags with his injections and magic powders, or the club's drug culture over a number of years or...

I won't though and let your comments go through to the keeper. I'll be the better man for it.

Young man, I could bring up the old Matt Barber as coach helping you to a couple of flags with his injections and magic powders, or the club's drug culture over a number of years or...

I won't though and let your comments go through to the keeper. I'll be the better man for it.

As Richmond men we totally do not go around calling lesser clubs drug cheats.

Not in out Richmond man nature.

however lesser folks wont be so generous

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow haven't been called a young man for a while.

As for mentioning players and drugs there are other reasons why Richmond fans don't go there. We all know why.

Being Premiers is great but the icing on the cake is the excuses and whining from those who can't accept the truth. I'm getting younger everyday 😁

What truth are you referring to exactly?

Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner.

And there are a lot of Tiger supporters who can't win with any class. That's the point being discussed.

Carry on.

Wow haven't been called a young man for a while.

As for mentioning players and drugs there are other reasons why Richmond fans don't go there. We all know why.

Bitter and twisted old man then.

Have a good day. I thought you were better than the rubbish you've been throwing out.

Lambert was never at Carlton.
Yep, fair enough Rob. Northern Blues were closely affiliated to the CFC, but I acknowledge Kane was never listed for Carlton. Everyone missed him for a few years, not just you blokes.

The point I was trying to make with our Adelaide friend, which still stands, is that a very, very small number of players in our recent premiership teams were grabbed from the Giants/Suns ... Prestia and Lynch from memory.

What truth are you referring to exactly?

Only thing worse than a bad loser is a bad winner.

And there are a lot of Tiger supporters who can't win with any class. That's the point being discussed.

Carry on.
We as Richmond supporters don't actually win anything. Its just the team we support does. Its the supporters of those lesser clubs that were not up to it that seem to be real sore losers though. It's really satisfying watching you West coast whiners try to justify being such sooks though.
fu** me what a brutal comeback. Back to circle jerking about obscure s**t with your fellow supporters champ while you think of something better perhaps?
First sign of an upset little supporter is the use of 'champ'. Thanks.

LOL.

Say hello to cousins, kerr, chick etc who your club ****ed up getting them addicted to drugs
QUALITY organisation, wouldn't want to wish that sort of crap on anyone
Enjoy your tainted 2018 flag (say hello to Willie for me)

The draft and salary cap are designed to even up the competition, but I believe you can argue that these attempts to level the playing field have been compromised by three factors:
1. Free agency, and the pull of big Vic clubs
2. Gold Coast and to a lesser extent GWS, and the lack of player interest in sticking around at those clubs
3. Endorsements/media income in Victoria, which makes the salary cap a bit of a farce

Looking back at the 2010 AFL Draft, Richmond came out with the haul of four players from the first round:
Pick 6 - Reece Conca, picked by Richmond
Pick 7 - Josh Caddy, Gold Coast --> Richmond
Pick 9 - Dion Prestia, Gold Coast --> Richmond
Pick 11 - Tom Lynch, Gold Coast --> Richmond

2011 AFL Draft, Collingwood effectively picked up three
[picked underage, could have been pick 1] Adam Treloar, GWS --> Collingwood
Pick 4 - Will Hoskin-Elliot, GWS --> Collingwood
Pick 13 - Taylor Adams, GWS --> Collingwood

These players are now in their prime, and unsurprisingly they've become vital pieces in two of the most talented sides in the comp. If GWS/Gold Coast never existed, it's likely a bunch of them would have been drafted elsewhere. Just looking at the 2009 AFL ladder, you'd have Port Adelaide pick 7, Essendon pick 9, Brisbane pick 11 for the 2010 crop. For 2011 (ignoring Gold Coast) you'd have West Coast pick 1, Brisbane pick 4, Bulldogs pick 13.

It's really unlikely that Richmond and Collingwood would have had as easy a time poaching players off Essendon, the Bulldogs and West Coast.

Obviously the clubs had to have the home grown talent to have a contending list that would be attractive to homesick talent, which is why other teams with similar prestige like Carlton haven't been able to quite do the same, but I think this unusual period of history has given Richmond and Collingwood the edge to be the best in the comp, rather than simply 'very good'.

Good summation, however Caddy arrive at Richmond via Geelong. We gave up pick #6 for Prestia while only Lynch was the only one who came via free agency. I think it’s also worthwhile noting that Prestia and Lynch has given the Gold Coast a fair chunk of their football careers. Wasn’t like they walked out after just two years.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back