Club Focus GWS Giants 2020 - Hogan, Preuss, Bruhn, Stone, Angwin, Fleeton, Wehr

AFL Club Focus

Remove this Banner Ad

What are you rabbiting on about. Why would we care what happened with Green?
We moved down because the player we wanted was still there. We got GWS 1st round pick next year out of it. FOR FREE. It was a fantastic trade.

Bidding on players you dont need is exactly what teams should be doing to force other teams to pay the price.
We did it with GWS, we did it with North.

Your team had the chance to do it and didn’t.
It has been stated by many people from GWS that if the bid came too early for Green GWS would probably let him go. So why should the dees bid on someone we didn't want?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been stated by many people from GWS that if the bid came too early for Green GWS would probably let him go. So why should the dees bid on someone we didn't want?

Well Green was rated the 3rd best kid in the draft by most pundits.
So unless you think you're smarter than the experts then GWS would've matched no matter when the bid was made.

They knew that MFC wouldnt do it so they traded to 4.

Last edited by a moderator:

So unless you think you're smarter than the experts then GWS would've matched no matter when the bid was made.

Just because some experts think he’s the third best kid doesn’t mean everyone did- in fact quite a few list managers would have taken Jackson and that came out after the draft.

Just because some experts think he’s the third best kid doesn’t mean everyone did- in fact quite a few list managers would have taken Jackson and that came out after the draft.

Well only teams that were after a ruck.
I dont think GWS would've taken him.

Either way though if it was bid at 3, GWS match.

The poster is trying to say that they wouldn't have matched at 3.

These kids have been told they will be picked up. Its a bloody awful look if they end up at a different club

Well only teams that were after a ruck.
I dont think GWS would've taken him.

Either way though if it was bid at 3, GWS match.

The poster is trying to say that they wouldn't have matched at 3.

These kids have been told they will be picked up. Its a bloody awful look if they end up at a different club

They wanted Jackson as well GWS. Actually think they would have not matched as well. Not every Academy kid goes to their academy club look at the Brisbane ones this draft, Irving Mosquito last draft.

Melbourne wanted Jackson more it’s not their job to bid for other teams. You pick the player you rated higher. Similarly Sydney rated Dylan Stephens higher.

They wanted Jackson as well GWS. Actually think they would have not matched as well. Not every Academy kid goes to their academy club look at the Brisbane ones this draft, Irving Mosquito last draft.

Melbourne wanted Jackson more it’s not their job to bid for other teams. You pick the player you rated higher. Similarly Sydney rated Dylan Stephens higher.
do you think if melbourne had had pick 2 that their ladder position had warranted, that they still would have taken Jackson over Noah Anderson?

do you think if melbourne had had pick 2 that their ladder position had warranted, that they still would have taken Jackson over Noah Anderson?

Who knows, probably not but at 3, Jackson was clear choice for Melbourne

The top kids have 100% exclusively gone to their respective academy or FS club.

Once you get to the late 20s and beyond then there is less likelihood of a risky bid to make a team pay up.

GWS moved up in order to avoid potential bids on Green (especially given we are known for it).
Their plan would've been thrown into disarray had Melbourne bid on him.

99% scenario is GWS cop it and pay up for Green. Melbourne still get Jackson, but GWS DOESNT get Ash as well as Green.

Gold Coast couldnt do it because GWS were calling their bluff and wouldve ended up with Rowell or Anderson (if Melbourne had still picked Jackson)

The top kids have 100% exclusively gone to their respective academy or FS club.

Once you get to the late 20s and beyond then there is less likelihood of a risky bid to make a team pay up.

GWS moved up in order to avoid potential bids on Green (especially given we are known for it).
Their plan would've been thrown into disarray had Melbourne bid on him.

99% scenario is GWS cop it and pay up for Green. Melbourne still get Jackson, but GWS DOESNT get Ash as well as Green.

Gold Coast couldnt do it because GWS were calling their bluff and wouldve ended up with Rowell or Anderson (if Melbourne had still picked Jackson)
Sorry to agree with you Danger, but if Melbourne bids on Green GWS would match every day of the week.

Sorry to agree with you Danger, but if Melbourne bids on Green GWS would match every day of the week.
Considering what GWS spent to get pick 4 (trying to get in ahead of a bid for sure), if Melbourne did bid, they were well placed to match - although they wouldn't have been happy about it - but 0% chance they would not have matched

Well he wasn't considered the 3rd best by Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or Fremantle, and I recall an article where most clubs saycthey would gave picked Young at 3

Well he wasn't considered the 3rd best by Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney or Fremantle, and I recall an article where most clubs saycthey would gave picked Young at 3
Just quietly, the fact he was GWS linked and the clubs knew that GWS would move heaven and earth to match probably dictated. For sure each club could have bid on him but it was no doubt a wasted exercise as they were no chance to get him. Adelaide also as soon as they traded down would have had a handshake agreement to not bid on green I would hazard a guess

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just quietly, the fact he was GWS linked and the clubs knew that GWS would move heaven and earth to match probably dictated. For sure each club could have bid on him but it was no doubt a wasted exercise as they were no chance to get him. Adelaide also as soon as they traded down would have had a handshake agreement to not bid on green I would hazard a guess
Now that would be draft tampering - I think we have learnt our lesson 😬

I read or heard some where that other clubs spend less time researching the academy kids as it is basically a waste of resources as they almost always go to the club that "owns" them. Therefore sit lower on boards than they otherwise would. Hence the bid so often coming later than expected. Makes sense.

I read or heard some where that other clubs spend less time researching the academy kids as it is basically a waste of resources as they almost always go to the club that "owns" them. Therefore sit lower on boards than they otherwise would. Hence the bid so often coming later than expected. Makes sense.
It make sense, Blakey is around that range also last year..

The point is it's not a wasted exercise if GWS have to match..it literally takes a top 6 pick out of their hands.
If GWS wouldn't have matched I'd be very surprised

Makes perfect sense.
If the kid is a first round prospect he's going to the club of choice.

This was borne out by commentary that only Adelaide and Sydney visited him at his home prior to the draft. Clubs knew GWS were always positioning to draft him

The point is it's not a wasted exercise if GWS have to match..it literally takes a top 6 pick out of their hands.
If GWS wouldn't have matched I'd be very surprised

Then don’t trade your pick 4 to them and do it yourselves. If you rate him that highly keep pick 4 and bid on him.

Then don’t trade your pick 4 to them and do it yourselves. If you rate him that highly keep pick 4 and bid on him.

Sorry but are you one of those people that think club supporters make decisions for the club?

As I've said previously we have done plenty of bidding in our time to make teams pay up. One of few who actually does it.

We didnt bid because we'd rather benefit through trade with GWS and essentially get a free first round pick.
GWS did that because they knew we'd bid. Win-win.

There was no win-win with the Dees not doing so.
Contrary to other posters views, bidding AFTER GWS had their first pick meant virtually nothing.

Then don't trade the pick to us if you think Green is a steal.

As far as I'm aware if the bid came to early we wouldn't have.

Why?
We got a free first rounder out of you from it.

No brainer.

Bid to have you match is less benefit to us, which is why you offered us a free first round pick for nothing.

Thats literally the exact reason you did the trade, so we didnt have the opportunity to bid and pretty much guarantee yourself Green + Ash.

Why?
We got a free first rounder out of you from it.

No brainer.

Bid to have you match is less benefit to us, which is why you offered us a free first round pick for nothing.
So you wanted the 1st rounder pick and for another club to take the risk we wouldn't bid.

Perfect explanation of the old wanting your cake and eating it to. (Which now typing it seems like a weird saying ).

So you wanted the 1st rounder pick and for another club to take the risk we wouldn't bid.

Perfect explanation of the old wanting your cake and eating it to. (Which now typing it seems like a weird saying ).

That makes no sense.
GWS came to us to offer us a freebie because they knew we would bid otherwise.

They seemingly knew MFC were too gutless to bid.
So both clubs did a deal that suited both of them and screwed 16 other teams. Wins for us.
GWS get two players.
Crows still get the player they wanted and a free 2020 first round pick.
It only worked for GWS because MFC didnt bid.

Now I'm assuming that GWS would've matched which you said wasnt a certainty.
Except I cant find any exceptions to the rule that first round kids get to their academy/FS club every single time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back