2019 New Zealand vs England (5 T20Is, 2 Tests)

Remove this Banner Ad

I see dobell still crying about pitches and the ball, for a senior cricinfo writer he really does come across like a sooky fan sometimes he was already giving the english quicks excuses after the tour game then basically spent the first three days of the series talking about how unfair the ball was (he clearly felt the game was a surefire draw) then englands batsmen got rolled on the same bowler killer deck deck and he stops talking about it till this test now he is saying nz are killing test cricket with these pitches.

England need to accept their bowlers aren't good enough without tons of assistance but their batsmen then aren't good enough to survive on those same bowler friendly tracks, there is no pitch that can overcome mediocrity as somebody from your side will be exposed.
There isn't a bigger fanboi in cricket writing than Dobell. Would not surprise me if he sleeps with Jos Buttler posters on his wall.

He actually came out and said it was the worst test series he has ever covered, first test was a good finish and this might have been a really good game if not for terrible fielding from both sides and a huge amount of rain.

To me this is the consequence from the over hype with archer, you even had senior writers like agnew calling archer a once in a generation bowler and the man for all seasons who would be the difference maker on dead tracks so when things don't turn out the way you dreamed you either accept you jumped the gun or you blame others.

p.s. before anybody complains im not having a go at archer he is a very promising young quick and it's not his fault so many just assumed he was going to repeat that lords spell on a regular basis wherever he went, he needs plenty of time to learn his trade on pitches that don't offer the quicks that much.

He actually came out and said it was the worst test series he has ever covered, first test was a good finish and this might have been a really good game if not for terrible fielding from both sides and a huge amount of rain.

To me this is the consequence from the over hype with archer, you even had senior writers like agnew calling archer a once in a generation bowler and the man for all seasons who would be the difference maker on dead tracks so when things don't turn out the way you dreamed you either accept you jumped the gun or you blame others.

p.s. before anybody complains im not having a go at archer he is a very promising young quick and it's not his fault so many just assumed he was going to repeat that lords spell on a regular basis wherever he went, he needs plenty of time to learn his trade on pitches that don't offer the quicks that much.

Plus Broad and Archer aside, it doesn't bat deep which in turn forces Root to over bowl them especially early in the day This means their 3rd and 4th spells they are 5-10kmph slower. Their 3rd quick and spinner are an issue. Leech is okay but he's only going to be that. Their batting is a shambles too, too many t20 batsmen.

Plus Broad and Archer aside, it doesn't bat deep which in turn forces Root to over bowl them especially early in the day This means their 3rd and 4th spells they are 5-10kmph slower. Their 3rd quick and spinner are an issue. Leech is okay but he's only going to be that. Their batting is a shambles too, too many t20 batsmen.
He’s had at least 3 chances go down too - that happens to everyone, fair play, but 5 wickets across 2 tests on fairly unhelpful tracks looks at least a bit better than 2-200.

I’ll defend him anytime purely on the basis of inexperience. Very few bowlers come in and just consistently deliver results right from the get go and before anyone calls him overrated - overhyped might be more correct - he deserves time to learn how to bowl in test match conditions

He’s had at least 3 chances go down too - that happens to everyone, fair play, but 5 wickets across 2 tests on fairly unhelpful tracks looks at least a bit better than 2-200.

I’ll defend him anytime purely on the basis of inexperience. Very few bowlers come in and just consistently deliver results right from the get go and before anyone calls him overrated - overhyped might be more correct - he deserves time to learn how to bowl in test match conditions

It does seem he drops his head quite easily and he mopes around. I shudder to imagine how bad this side is without Broad who puts in whether it's seaming or flat every ball of the day

yes I can definitely agree with that, his body language needs a lot of work

Now that could be his lack of experience, but it's something he needs to work on. At least make the batsman look like he's in a contest. It's what annoys me to no end about Starc sometimes/ Even if the ball is doing nothing, at least make the batsman think you are a chance through body language.

Yeah thats the best way to put it, if archer was the one hyping himself up to that extent he deserved criticism but really the english cricket media are the ones who need to realize they are the problem here not archer, pace alone is not always the cure for flat decks there is an art to first surviving and on your best days thriving on decks that don't offer much and he will have to learn it over the next couple of years and it may even take him two tours over here before he finds his best method.

I think they may gamble on his fitness and go for anderson in SA now as well, archer wil look better bowling shorter sharper spells which he can do with jimmy and broad playing, interesting thing will be whether sa back rabada and co to out bowl england and go with some grass or whether they try and grind england down on batting tracks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back