Training 2020 Training - pics, reports etc

Sharks On A Plane

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 12, 2006
Y6le
AFL Club
Carlton
Im not under estimating Plowman I’m playing him INFRONT of Marchbank.
The perception of Marchbank on this board is very strange imo. Most people declare him "clear best 22" but then when it actually comes down to it, he's clearly the one that has to miss out.

I think people love the idea of Marchbank more than what he actually brings. Talented junior, cost us a high pick, people want him to be a mainstay of the defence.

But his disposal is shaky under pressure, he's not quick, doesn't rebound with much authority, and isn't big enough to play on genuine key forwards. He's a pretty decent intercept mark but not as good as either Weitering or Jones in that regard. I also have slight question marks on his mental toughness/mongrel.

With the added spectre of a serious injury and long rehab stint this year, I'm not expecting big things from Marchy in 2020. He's still a talented player but he looms as a depth option until an opportunity arises.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
The perception of Marchbank on this board is very strange imo. Most people declare him "clear best 22" but then when it actually comes down to it, he's clearly the one that has to miss out.

I think people love the idea of Marchbank more than what he actually brings. Talented junior, cost us a high pick, people want him to be a mainstay of the defence.

But his disposal is shaky under pressure, he's not quick, doesn't rebound with much authority, and isn't big enough to play on genuine key forwards. He's a pretty decent intercept mark but not as good as either Weitering or Jones in that regard. I also have slight question marks on his mental toughness/mongrel.

With the added spectre of a serious injury and long rehab stint this year, I'm not expecting big things from Marchy in 2020. He's still a talented player but he looms as a depth option until an opportunity arises.

Rubbish.
He's clearly best 22. He plays the 3rd tall position. It seems people can't remember his talent due to the injuries.

Rubbish.
He's clearly best 22. He plays the 3rd tall position. It seems people can't remember his talent due to the injuries.

I can. Marchbank is easily best 22 as a talent.

The only thing that may get in his way, other than form or injury, is a possible need to be smaller in the back half.
That may or may not happen, but as far as Marchbank goes - He's a beauty.

Stamos

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 30, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton
I can. Marchbank is easily best 22 as a talent.

The only thing that may get in his way, other than form or injury, is a possible need to be smaller in the back half.
That may or may not happen, but as far as Marchbank goes - He's a beauty.

In terms of the "too tall argument", people seem to mistake Plowman's role in the team.
While he's capable of playing the 3rd tall, it's not really what he's best suited to, or the most advantageous position for us.
Cutting up the likes of Charlie Cameron, standing Dusty etc. is what we need him for.
Then Marchy as the 3rd tall/intercept player.

In terms of the "too tall argument", people seem to mistake Plowman's role in the team.
While he's capable of playing the 3rd tall, it's not really what he's best suited to, or the most advantageous position for us.
Cutting up the likes of Charlie Cameron, standing Dusty etc. is what we need him for.
Then Marchy as the 3rd tall/intercept player.

I understand that about Plowman but I feel he's been given the 'odd' role too many times.
Too many mismatches, but he has made good. Quite a disciplined player is Plowman.

It may not be too tall but if one of Jones, Weitering, Plowman or Marchbank had to make way for speed, I feel it may be Marchbank.
That in no way detracts from thee player I think Marchbank is and will become.

WalshistheGOAT

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Everyone knows Marchbank and Plowman have some sort of star crossed lovers chemistry when they play together. The outcome is greater than the sum of its parts. That being said, Marchbanks best is better than Plowmans and he has a far higher influence on games for better or for worse.

This yarn about him being slow or slowing down play is meme worthy, up there with 'Charlie needs to stop skateboarding'. Marchbanks issue has always been his aggressive and bold play style can backfire terribly via turnover or via injury to himself. Unfortunately when you're injured a third of every year and you come back trying to play like its round 1 after a full pre season, jumping over packs to spoil, playing on after every mark, taking the difficult kicks and pushing up the ground to almost play as an intercepting wingman, you aren't exactly going to show much consistency as the skills required to play that style are elite.

Extremely similar to Jones and Weiterbot last year, they didn't have the guidance of Doc and got tore to shreds weekly, spent an off season working on their chemistry and playing to their strengths and both were unbelievable this season. Marchy has the natural talent, just needs some continuity and confidence in his disposal and body. If fully fit best 22 every day of the week, if not, well then hes not.

PumpyChowdown

Norm Smith Medallist
Mar 23, 2007
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
SUNS Maple Leafs Titans Liverpool
Marchbank will struggle to get a game in 2020 IMO. I'm no where near as bullish on him as others are. His decision making is questionable and his execution is erratic.

Given our ins in defence, his long lay-off and team balance, he's going to have to work very hard to break into our best 22 if everyone is fully fit.

RedFury

Premiership Player
Jul 12, 2010
AFL Club
Carlton

IMO his only issue is injuries / continuity. It's difficult to show your best when you keep getting injured - missed no less than 6 games every season so far - usually significantly more.

If he could put together 1 full year (including pre-season) without getting injured people would start to see what the fuss was about. Unfortunately it can also affect development so may have already limited his ceiling a bit.

Matty411

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 21, 2012
AFL Club
Carlton
2020 Blues Pre-Season Player Preview Series

13. Stocker.PNG

Stocker put in another GQ cover-worthy effort with this early-preseason shot.

Player Name: Liam Stocker

Guernsey #: 13

Nickname/s: Stock, ‘Pick 19 in the The Stocker Trade’, Liam Stoker

2019 Senior Games: 5

Key Stats: Disposals: 68 (13.6) Rebound 50s: 12 (2.4) Contested possessions: 20 (4) Tackles: 9 (1.8) Pressure acts 64 (12.8) Metres gained: 962 (192.5)

Height: 184

Weight: 83

Injury concerns: Nil

Primary Role: Midfielder

Best 22 Status: Developing/Fringe

Strengths: Competitiveness, professionalism, dual-sided kicking

Weaknesses: Running ability

What they said: The second-year Blue was doing extras before training even began for preseason, his presence and commitment clearly having an impact, with teammate Mitch McGovern super impressed back in November: “Liam Stocker actually impressed me: he opened my eyes up,” he said.

“He had a little bit of niggle over the off-season, but he’s come back in pretty good nick and he looks a lot lighter and a lot more energetic on his feet.

“I’m looking forward to seeing what he can do this year.”

The 411: Stocker re-signed last month until the end of 2022, with both he and the club showing enormous faith in the direction of both the club and his role in the next era of success at Carlton. He broke into the senior side early in his first year – Round 7 – showing that he won’t take long to develop at VFL level. A foot injury partly derailed his progress, but five AFL games can be seen as an early success for the first ever player drafted as a result of a live trade. Stock has class, natural football ability and the right mindset to succeed at the top level – in whatever role he’s given.

Bigfooty best case: The now famous pick 19 is tracking nicely and you won’t find many Blues fans who don’t rate this kid. His varied skillset means that he may start his career as a role player – off the half back, tagging or on the fringes of the midfield. But with a full preseason and a mindset perhaps only rivalled by Cripps, Doc and Walsh in Navy Blue, Stocker has all the tools to make it at the top level. I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised to see him become a regular in our top side next season – pushing for a Rising Star podium finish by the business end of 2020.

Next up: Liam Jones

Back