Player Watch #26 Riley Collier-Dawkins

4tune8

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 31, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
People really do get seduced by the numbers. Happens in the media, with umpires, with supporters in general. Disposal are often meaningless - look at Lachie Neille's 51 disposals compared to Dusty's 21 in the same game.It really is the quality of those disposals. I see RCD's disposal as much the same. He doesn't get cheap disposals running around the back. Every ball he gets he wins and every touch he has is damaging. I can see his numbers increasing as he builds his engine and links up more with running sequences but that will come. More than almost every player on our list (maybe other than Balta) he just needs experience and to continue to learn the running patterns. Rance was exactly the same; he had all the athletic qualities and skills but just needed to learn the small things and keep it simple.

RCD has a huge amount of strengths that he can build from. Confidence is the key with a player like Riley and luckily, he's at a club that priorities focusing on the positive and letting players play to their strengths. I'm not going to suggest he will be a star but at Richmond, he doesn't need to be. He just needs to embrace the culture, learn the game plan and play his role and who knows what he'll blossom into from there.

I see a huge upside to this kid. Give him time and he'll slot nicely into our 3peat side!
You are absolutely correct in what you say, but if you use 'impact' instead of 'quality' then that is the essence of the team.

Tomnat Tigers

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 8, 2009
Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
His junior stats got better in finals, and his contested percentage was ridiculous, close to 60%. It's not true to say he doesn't win his own ball. Plenty of times he wins the hard ball in tight but because his game is to run at opponents he often runs straight into tackles, and because he's not yet strong enough to bust them, he's either caught holding the ball or it's a ball-up. I reckon this happens half a dozen times per game.

He's going to come back from a pre-season in the next few years having furnished into a powerful beast of a man, and we'll all go, 'Woah'.

Can't recall which game it was (might have one of the games vs Essendon late in the year) but RCD only ended up with 10 or less disposals but having watched the game he would of had it in his hands at least 20 times but due to how many numbers were around the ball and the fact he wanted to get a clean disposal away he ended up with 10 or less. So as you say as he gets stronger he will end up breaking these tackles and on bigger grounds he might find more space to dispose off the ball.

Feb 4, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Can't recall which game it was (might have one of the games vs Essendon late in the year) but RCD only ended up with 10 or less disposals but having watched the game he would of had it in his hands at least 20 times but due to how many numbers were around the ball and the fact he wanted to get a clean disposal away he ended up with 10 or less. So as you say as he gets stronger he will end up breaking these tackles and on bigger grounds he might find more space to dispose off the ball.

Good post this. It is an important point when assessing footballers. People were on here saying he is only getting average 13 possessions per match or whatever, so he is no good. As your post shows he could have boosted this simply by learning to slam the ball indiscriminately on hand or foot in these contested situations...but what good is that to his team? None.

In the 2017 AFL GF, Adelaide Crows had more disposals, more marks, more effective disposals, more tackles, and had a ranking points win. They barely scored more than half of what Richmond scored and had 11 less shots at goal that scored. According to ranking points, the Crouch brothers were two of the best three players on the ground, and Dustin Martin was 11th best. That is what happens when you seek to accumulate disposals at the expense of impact.

I only really saw Collier-Dawkins half a dozen times max on TV during the season, and also religiously read all the coach’s notes about him. He was never prolific, but most times I saw him he did at least one or two things that just looked very powerful, both relative to his age and in absolute terms. At times he just looked a bit unsure of himself, and that is knowhow and something you would think experience and knowledge will solve. I loved watching him in the VFL GF and there is every reason to believe he will come back with a lot more confidence in 2020. Not sure how many AFL matches that translates to, disappointed if we don’t see him half a dozen or so times at least. He should definitely step up to a higher level of output in the VFL, and looking forward to seeing what he can do in both grades.

I'm just gonna take a jizz break....

looks like he’s grown into his body if that makes sense looks more co ordinated and less gangly

super exciting prospect

RCD needs time and games to prove his worth. I'm am not as optimistic about him as others but have the belef that he will improve to the point where he's at least serviceable. Fingers are crossed that he ends up a star.

Nov 23, 2000
Country Victoria
AFL Club
Richmond
RCD needs time and games to prove his worth. I'm am not as optimistic about him as others but have the belef that he will improve to the point where he's at least serviceable. Fingers are crossed that he ends up a star.
Lad has time.
Decade ago he'd play a handful of games & never reach his potential.

Mr Unbelievable

Premium Platinum
Nov 27, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Arsenal
RCD is a Richmond man

Elite in CP, Tackles, clearances

All he needs to do is improve his endurance and the sky is the limit

Super high damage per possession player, has a natural combative bollocking style that lifts in big games

Will surprise the league in 2020
Would be awesome ... the salt would be delicious

RCD is a Richmond man

Elite in CP, Tackles, clearances

All he needs to do is improve his endurance and the sky is the limit

Super high damage per possession player, has a natural combative bollocking style that lifts in big games

Will surprise the league in 2020

Also doesnt mind the clutch moments!

Kicked some crucial goals in the VFL finals series, just took it upon himself.

Love it.

Lad has time.
Decade ago he'd play a handful of games & never reach his potential.

Not saying he’s going to be a Fyfe, but he took yonks to put on the size. Now he’s a beast, RCD just needs time to learn the ropes and build the rig for senior level footy IMHO. He’s pretty raw but 2-3 years in our system I feel like the sky’s the limit with him. As blaisee said, his defensive/inside work to date is a great cornerstone to build on

Jul 3, 2008
eastern-most tiger in the nation
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Abers
Ahhhh remember the times we just had skinny young kids coming into the side for a game...love the growing RCD and still not getting a game!
His VFL grand final performance showed that he is ready. He is in the mix with a lot of good players, competing for spots. For his development I hope he gets a handful of games. Not sure if any of the new draftees will challenge for a senior spot.

Mar 1, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
I agree. Those with a hyphened name as a rule can't get it done. RCD might be the exception

I still think RCD is a structural player even playing at centre rather than a follower where he can use his height and speed to impede in defence and transition effectively in attack. The fact he can compete where the ruck contest is nearby just emphasises his versatility makes him more effective all round but does not necessarily mean he is most effective as a follower versus a structural player despite how the umpires value brownlows

Back