Roast Gillon Mclachlan - Get rid of this tool, please

Pedantic

Club Legend
Jun 7, 2016
AFL Club
Melbourne
We are never going to get a CEO of the AFL that puts the sport and fans first. Even if Gillon leaves he is replaced with a well trained exact replica.
This is true and it's the AFL Commission's fault. Firstly because they select the CEO. But mainly because they don't incentivise them (and other execs at AFL House) correctly. You can tell that the big ticket items for their bonuses are media rights $$ and participation numbers. To the uninitiated they might seem like decent indicators for the game being in good shape, but clearly it doesn't work as satisfaction with how the AFL are running the game at a grass roots administration level and with how the actual sport is played must be at record lows.

Why don't they actually put up something like the AFL CEO loses $50k from their bonus every time a grass roots club older than say 20 years has to fold or merge? What about a survey of all members of AFL clubs about their satisfaction with how the AFL is managing the game and a significant reduction in pay if the survey results come back negative? Likewise a survey of for example club presidents of local clubs about their satisfaction with how the AFL is managing the game. These are just ideas off the top of my head, but the point is they could clearly set much better incentives that would actually put the best interests of the sport at heart and are less gameable -- i.e. no running programs in schools just to say participation numbers are up.

But who does the AFL Commission answer to in order to make them more accountable for this? No one as far as I can tell, they pick themselves and then pick their corporate mates as their replacements. How does the average supporter effect any change as to who makes up the commission? As far as I can see they can't.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
I remember the disdain for Allen Aylett in the late 70's.

Can anyone remember a popular CEO at any stage that they were happy with?

Does anyone think the next CEO will do better? Does anyone have any confidence that any future CEO be an improvement?

Socrates2

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 11, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
If he's mates with Peter Dutton and other right wing conservatives ( the au pair fiasco), he should leave.
AFL is the game of the people and a lot of social issues like Indigenous rights, multi-culturalism and tolerance, gay rights, women's rights, men's health, mental health, coward punch ect have been taken on by the AFL because they are representing the people.
Mclachlan deep down is just old farm money backing the establishment.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Why Geelong? Why not the fanless Giants or Suns?
The fact you are replying to one proves your comment wrong.

The growing Giants and Suns who are in regions not flooded by footy teams.

Cats on the other hand on the way down in a region that is the same way in a state flooded by AFL clubs

I always find those up for killing teams never want to put up their own.

Would think more of the argument if they did.

Cats on the other hand on the way down in a region that is the same way in a state flooded by AFL clubs

?

Geelong literally has its own region. It is the only Vic team to do so.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
Which ones are they? Do you just go by membership numbers?

Imagine if St Kilda was in your family for generations and then one day they just folded. No merger, they just disappear. Can’t see it happening, ever. The AFL wouldn’t let them get too badly in debt.

But if it did happen, where would all their supporters go? People call for clubs to be folded all the time, I read it on here all the time, but do they really think about what that would be like?

If Geelong folded, what would you do? Really, I want to know. Not having a go at you

WA fans, SA fans sucked it up for a national comp, but Victorians cant? Come on precious !!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1

WA fans did it, SA fans did it ....

Mar 23, 2007
Where Premiership dreams are made...
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Man U, Canucks and 49ers

Does anyone think the next CEO will do better? Does anyone have any confidence that any future CEO be an improvement?

I would be interested to see how someone like Eddie or Jeff turned out as the AFL CEO, having far greater insights into club and grass roots footy issues.

Gilligan would not get an equivalent job outside of the AFL. Just not of appropriate quality.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
I would be interested to see how someone like Eddie or Jeff turned out as the AFL CEO, having far greater insights into club and grass roots footy issues.

Gilligan would not get an equivalent job outside of the AFL. Just not of appropriate quality.

The NRL were knocking on Gils door.

Eddie &/or Jeff have the think power, the track record, I'd prefer Tony Cochrane from outside the Melbourne bubble.
Very unimpressed by how the AFL go about influencing clubs decisions on admin staff, the likes of the brothers Auld, the Brad Scott deal, Lethlean ...

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond

Ben Gale or Peggy would do well

Richmond 15 mcg games consecutive prior to finals

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club

I think with Ed it would be seen as a conflict of interest and I think he's too rusted on Collingwood to ever consider it. Jeff I could see, former premier with some runs on the board.

Jun 6, 2016
Perth
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Pines Football Club
Ben Gale or Peggy would do well

Richmond 15 mcg games consecutive prior to finals

Think Benny Gale would be a popular vote, would he do a lot different though.

Every polly enters politics with the best intentions only to be whipped into to tow the partly line. Think the AFL is there now, whoever is in power is never popular and they all have by and large executed decisions for the intent of the good of the game but they're always howled down by the public.

From my point of view I've never been a fan of any single one of them and not a fan of rule changes every 5 mins etc. etc.

Could anyone in future do better and to everyone's liking? Well no because you can't please everyone all of the time, but could there someone that is a real improvement? I don't know.

Last edited:

deltablues

Cancelled
Jul 16, 2013
Rapid City, South Dakota
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Sturt, Green Bay Packers
If he's mates with Peter Dutton and other right wing conservatives ( the au pair fiasco), he should leave.
AFL is the game of the people and a lot of social issues like Indigenous rights, multi-culturalism and tolerance, gay rights, women's rights, men's health, mental health, coward punch ect have been taken on by the AFL because they are representing the people.
Mclachlan deep down is just old farm money backing the establishment.

Wrong.

The "people" attend the footy to escape the incessant media blitz nicely described by your laundry list of PC/SJW KPI feel good/virtue signalling polarized political tripe/issues du jour.

Give it a rest, bud. Take it to the SRP forum.

Back