Game Day Draft Day 2019! Picks: 7, 8, 9, 67, 82, 86, 88

Remove this Banner Ad

When you look at these scenarios it just makes you feel lucky that we got we did. Bring on 2020!

I’m guessing it was for both 7,8. Why bother trade one pick down, when the other would get eaten by the Henry trade.
Yeah most likely both picks for 15,20 and their future picks the afl gave them for us to trade back in after the bid

Was anyone getting nervous watching the 2nd night when richmond and essendon were up? The way they were bidding on academy kids I thought for sure a butters bid was coming from one of them

Was anyone getting nervous watching the 2nd night when richmond and essendon were up? The way they were bidding on academy kids I thought for sure a butters bid was coming from one of them
bit of a segue but found it interesting this year how more clubs are starting to take into account a way of potentially avoiding early "homesickness" (let's call it for argument's sake) by putting kids together that know each other, from same home town, and can go through the transition together and help each other through similar issues arising from the move etc. We've been doing it a bit for the past few years. Other clubs are probably sick of seeing West Aussies going home and looking for solutions.

Sydney took Stephens and Gould (played together out of SA - yes I know Stephens is originally from Mildura), and then Taylor and Warner

GC: Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson (mates)

Brissie: Robertson and Prior

Freo: Young and Serong, Henry and Butters (but NGA with us) (i.e. Butters may have been seen as too high risk??)

Melbourne: Jackson and Rivers

(should get the discussion going in an otherwise quiet period)

bit of a segue but found it interesting this year how more clubs are starting to take into account a way of potentially avoiding early "homesickness" (let's call it for argument's sake) by putting kids together that know each other, from same home town, and can go through the transition together and help each other through similar issues arising from the move etc. We've been doing it a bit for the past few years. Other clubs are probably sick of seeing West Aussies going home and looking for solutions.

Sydney took Stephens and Gould (played together out of SA - yes I know Stephens is originally from Mildura), and then Taylor and Warner

GC: Matt Rowell and Noah Anderson (mates)

Brissie: Robertson and Prior

Freo: Young and Serong, Henry and Butters (but NGA with us) (i.e. Butters may have been seen as too high risk??)

Melbourne: Jackson and Rivers

(should get the discussion going in an otherwise quiet period)
Not sure about other teams but Bell flat out said Young and Serong being mates is not why we selected both. That part 1 draft article mentions we rated the top 8 highly, so presumably they just happened to be the 2/3 of the top 8 that fell to us.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure about other teams but Bell flat out said Young and Serong being mates is not why we selected both. That part 1 draft article mentions we rated the top 8 highly, so presumably they just happened to be the 2/3 of the top 8 that fell to us.
Flanders?

Sydney had picks: 5, 25, 32, 44 and 81
Freo had picks: 7, 8, 49, 58, 69, 79, 83

Clubs were trying to buy into the top ten for a reason, but nobody wanted to give up the pick. I expect they were offering their #25, #32 and #44 for our pick #8, #58 and #69
Surely it would have to have involve futures because i think even wayToGo_ would be unhappy with that trade.

I was thinking more along the lines of them dropping to 7 from 5. They might have been happy with either Flanders or Stephens and were confident Adelaide didnt want Flanders. Saw it as a way to drop down and get something on top of it.

Clubs were trying to buy into the top ten for a reason, but nobody wanted to give up the pick. I expect they were offering their #25, #32 and #44 for our pick #8, #58 and #69

I guess I just don't get why they would entertain Sydney. The Gold Coast trade makes sense, but barring that, wouldn't you just cut your losses and use 7 for Henry and then 8 for Young..

Per posts above, it would seem strange that we would've entertained that deal given we traded 10 and 22 to get pick 8 (ie to then split 8).

Agree more likely the swans were prepared to offer us 5 (stephens) for 7 and change.

Surely it would have to have involve futures because i think even wayToGo_ would be unhappy with that trade.

I was thinking more along the lines of them dropping to 7 from 5. They might have been happy with either Flanders or Stephens and were confident Adelaide didnt want Flanders. Saw it as a way to drop down and get something on top of it.
Reading the article sounds like we weren’t greatly interested. Col Kinnear was running around chasing Belly.

Phone calls from Sydney, Col rocking up at the Freo base saying where’s Peter Bell let him know I’m looking for him...blah blah

They were chasing a second top 10 pick whether that meant we ended up with pick 5, a 2020 1st and later picks I don’t know. It doesn’t sound like we were greatly interested and rightly so.

We had the Gold Coast deal (15 & 20) lined up if a bid came before our first pick.

I reckon there is another chronicles for you in all this pick trading just before and during the draft.

Last edited:
Would have to involve Sydney's future 1st shirley. I could see us looking at that as an option if a bid before #7 came. Could either load up next year or trade back in using a future 1st without any restrictions.

Would have to involve Sydney's future 1st shirley. I could see us looking at that as an option if a bid before #7 came. Could either load up next year or trade back in using a future 1st without any restrictions.
Like a hiding the pick thing Sydney did with the Coast last year?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back