Opinion Stephen Silvagni

Remove this Banner Ad

No one is suggesting that the Richmond bloke isn't good at selling memberships; he's clearly excellent in that regard. But as far as selling a message of unity to supporters; if my own experience and reaction as a supporter is a reliable measure, Trigg was streets ahead of the Richmond bloke.

Agree wholeheartedly, we need more sophistication and sensitivity regarding interaction with supporters and presentation of an integrated, unified administration.

Incidentally Liddle’s specialization and strongest contribution at RFC was in the area of membership development and growth , perhaps one should stick to what they're good at.

Agree wholeheartedly, we need more sophistication and sensitivity regarding interaction with supporters and presentation of an integrated, unified administration.

Incidentally Liddle’s specialization and strongest contribution at RFC was in the area of membership development and growth , perhaps one should stick to what they're good at.
Reckon its an area where there is much growth to be had; industry wide. He's proven to be an excellent performer in that space. I'd love it if the club made a position for him in that space at CFC, and for him to willingly move into it.

Last edited:

Well what has Liddle done from what I can tell, he has used some contacts from a old job to help us get a player which would of fitted into our best 22 without SOSs permission. And he also pushed, along with the coach to bring Eddie back to the club.

I'm of the belief that SOS maybe a bit precious
Talented people usually are
Fevola
SoS
Betts

We don't look after our talent

Are you suggesting the improved engagement between CFC supporters and club is predominately premised on an emotional connection we have with his shiny head?

Don't play accounting games DD. He has been able to capitalise on the connection created by the Club and notably others within it.

I'm a supporter, I'm invested in my club , and yet I feel no special connection with the Richmond bloke; none.

Im just stating that previous to Liddle we were doing poorly and since his arrival we have been going great, yet people just diminish this as having nothing to do with him.

Do many supporters of other clubs feel connections with the CEO.

Does the club need to hurry to appoint an successor to SOS?

Surely we need to sort out this mess and innuendo first and foremost, and yes I am a bit disappointed us (The members/supporters) are left in limbo as to what has actually happened and going on, and it's seemingly creating an air of suspicion and ill feeling (on this thread anyway)

I need more facts and information as to what actually has happened before throwing Liddle to the Wolves.

There is two sides to every story, and maybe Loguidace and the board think it's best to remain silent on the issue for now and not feed the media frenzy, but I am not happy at all as a long time and consecutive years season ticket holder.

Everyone is hurting right now, some insight, if not reassurance from the club's grand poo bah (MLG) won't solve everything, but it would at least put us in the loop, and try get some rational thought back as to what happens next.

This is the problem. It APPEARS that our list is in very good shape. You have no arguments from most here. But there has to be some element of doubt until that promise turns to reality .
Take our forward line for instance. Charlies 2019 season was a big disappointment on what it promised to be after 2018. Harry is inconsistent and until he performs regularly , he has to be rated much lower than he currently is. Mitch had an ordinary year as well in 2019. Thats 3 highly rated forwards with question marks over them.

Take our midfield. Take Cripps out and we are left with a whole lot of young mids (sos selctions) who struggled under BB . When Murph and Ed moved into the midfield under DT we performed much better(non sos selections) So Based on eveidence to date, Dow, SPS, Fisher, setterfield are not definite stars by any means.

Are we in a position to really understand HOW GOOD our list is yet. We all want to believe that the foundation of a very good team is there, but until they perform its just hope.

I understand that but SOS's job was to rebuild the list of the football club and he has done that - in five full trade and drafts he has turned over all but 7 players and brought in 17 first round picks either through the draft or trading - that is an average of over 3 first round picks per year when on the draft board every club starts with 1. All of these guys are under 25.

The club needs to develop these players now but as it stands not many if any clubs have as many first round picks on their list as we do. If half of these guys reach their potential we'll be a very hard team to beat.

Harry and Charlie have shown enough to suggest they'll be an unstoppable duo pretty soon, injury permitting and they will get their bodies right, Walsh has shown as long as he shows up he'll be a top tier player in this league and will be within 2 or 3 seasons as a pup. Jacob Weitering has shown enough to suggest he will at worst be a very good player, if he keeps doing what he is doing he is a multiple all Australian. Every one of our picks has shown enough early to suggest there is something there. SPS has played amazing games, Setters has showed from an interrupted pre season he has so much ability. They all have something to give.

Right now it is up to the individuals how good they become - talent is talent at the end of the day and there is a reason these guys are top 20 picks and that is because they are the best in their age group. Drafting is so scientific and good these days if you go through the first round of any draft in the last decade there are good players everywhere!

As it stands we have a starting 18 of guys who were the best in their age group and they were born within 4 or 5 years of each other. It's not hard to work out how it ends up, look at GWS, Hawthorn, Geelong etc as teams who have stockpiled first round picks of the same age. The only team to stuff it royally is the Gold Coast Suns and they have much bigger problems than their list manager and CEO not seeing eye to eye.

I'm confident in saying the list is better shape than when he started, most other clubs would be envious of what we have to work with and not many clubs would be willing to do the Knock down and rebuild like we have because they'll have no house to live in for a while! which is what has happened to us for 4 years.

The reason why I have decided to use colour is that I am personally invested in Carlton's rise -and couldn't give a fig about a sales guy who has chosen to describe Bolton as " a coach on training wheels" OR SOS as having "conflicts of interest"

Both those summary twitter lines came from Liddle and are memes now sullying the reputations of two men who have worked very hard under the most difficult circumstances to get Carlton back to some form of potential relevance. The lack of respect for both from the Punt Rd interloper is what grates and why I decided to throw back at him - exactly the type of summary memes he likes to employ when dancing on people's graves.

One can apologise and make up all sorts of scenarios to justify Bolton getting sacked ( I agree) or SOS leaving because of the sons situation and perhaps ( even) time for dictatorship style leading is over - however the manner in which both cases were mismanaged is unpalatable, unprofessional and unbecoming.

That is my 'read' I could be wrong Liddle could be an angel and SOS has just decided to chuck a tanty - that narrative suits some - just not me.

Judd

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t remember Jezza getting shafted.

He tied his allegiances to the President George Harris, and when Harris was voted out, Jezza decided to resign. I was pissed off with Jezza for leaving at the end of 1979, because of his loyalty to the ex-president and not the club.

yes, Jezza should never have got involved in the politics. He was loyal to Harris , tooloyal.

The Pres isn't going immediately though. It seems pretty set that we'll have a new President by this time next year.

I reckon Liddle is septic. He needs to fix this situation really soon. Otherwise it's just going to fester, and he's done.

I'm staggered that there hasn't been a statement by the Club today.

Not sure what you expect the club to say and anything they were to say is just likely to further inflame the situation.

There's a lot of talk on here about us, once again, airing our dirty linen in public but it seems to me that the only crap that is being aired is coming from one quarter. I've seen nothing from the club and expect that any announcement will be accompanied by a resounding endorsement of the contribution by Silvagni.

I cannot see that Liddle's reported incursion into the recruitment area should be a gamechanger. These are grown men and should be capable of a meaningful discussion if one oversteps his boundaries and I can't believe that MLG and the Board haven't tried to steady the ship.

I genuinely think there is a lot more behind this than what we are hearing which has only been one side of this story. I seriously doubt that what we've heard to date is anything but one parties side and if the reasons go deeper than mere demarcation I don't think we need to know that.

If SOS is, indeed, the aggrieved party here I'm staggered that the club would support another individual over him.

I think most of us are seeing it as one side or another but when you factor in all we know (think we know) then it's sort of understandable that a situation may arise.....and it did and it's just not one way traffic going either way.

My argument is how did we allow this to fester for so long and allow it to get to where it has. The issue emanated months ago...maybe longer.

Why haven't we someone without personal interests.......(there's a problem)......that can put their foot down and lay down the law?

And this is my problem with Liddle, and why I think he is done.

Hypothetically, assume until this point Liddle had done nothing wrong, had been 100% professional, and that SOS cracked the shits when his position/power was slightly changed to reflect the current list make-up and structure of the football department (ie that the problem is entirely SOS' fault).
How can Liddle/the Club have let the current narrative surface in the media and not address it?
The media has said for weeks that SOS will leave after the draft. Then you get pieces like Brown's on Channel 7, and McClure's on The Age (which has been up for over 24 hours) and we hear nothing official.
So even if Liddle was blameless, he has allowed all the bad narratives (the political in-fighting and power struggles and incompetence) which have surrounded our Club for the last 18 years to resurface. And that is simply not good enough.

But we know Liddle has not been blameless in this situation.
He's apparently won the battle (why the * has there been a battle?) by knifing a Club Legend who has been almost solely responsible for turning over a list that was an absolute basket case, into one overflowing with talent which looks like it will be challenging soon.
It seems to me that Liddle has engaged in Mutually Assured Destruction.

I can't see him surviving, and it ending well.

Not sure what you expect the club to say and anything they were to say is just likely to further inflame the situation.

There's a lot of talk on here about us, once again, airing our dirty linen in public but it seems to me that the only crap that is being aired is coming from one quarter. I've seen nothing from the club and expect that any announcement will be accompanied by a resounding endorsement of the contribution by Silvagni.

I cannot see that Liddle's reported incursion into the recruitment area should be a gamechanger. These are grown men and should be capable of a meaningful discussion if one oversteps his boundaries and I can't believe that MLG and the Board haven't tried to steady the ship.

I genuinely think there is a lot more behind this than what we are hearing which has only been one side of this story. I seriously doubt that what we've heard to date is anything but one parties side and if the reasons go deeper than mere demarcation I don't think we need to know that.

If SOS is, indeed, the aggrieved party here I'm staggered that the club would support another individual over him.

Precisely, and as I said before, the messiah complex is alive and well today

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back